• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do we need to carry a sleeping bag?

Cheryland don

Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid north
we are planning to start walking the first week of May, and would like to know if a sleeping bag is needed, or if bedding is provided at the pilgrim accommodation?
Thanks for your answers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
we are planning to start walking the first week of May, and would like to know if a sleeping bag is needed, or if bedding is provided at the pilgrim accommodation?
Thanks for your answers

If you plan to stay in pilgrim albergues you will need a sleeping bag or liner. In warm weather many pilgrims carry only the lightweight liner. See this thread for some of many choices and types https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sleeping-bags.37529/

If you plan on using regular tourist accommodation bedding will be provided.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I would advise bringing a lightweight sleeping bag and a liner as it can still get cold in May.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
MSPATH nailed the "correct" reply above.

In May, along the Camino Frances you can still hit snow at elevations over 700 meters. Expect rain. Plan for it. Also, morning temperatures in the single digits (c) are not uncommon. Albergues are frequently not heated. So, if you plan to stay in albergues, take a sleeping bag, at least a lightweight one. Search on the Forum for recommendations and tips.

As MSPATH states (paraphrasing) if you plan to stay in private albergues, hostals or hotels, bedding is typically provided. I have found that the more you pay, going up the continuum from albergue to hotel... the more you get. I have stayed in private hostals that provide a "blast" of heat in the radiators at 2200, and one other at about 0500, for an hour each time. Other places provided heat on demand - a luxury...

Currently, I am planning my fourth Camino for this April (so far). I am (finally) down to a rectangular, full zipper, microfiber sleeping bag liner from Alps Mountaineering. I stay in hostals or hotels 99% percent of the time, for personal, medical reasons...I learned in 2013 that my health was more valuable than the housing cost.:eek:

I usually only stay in an albergue if no commercial lodging cannot be found within a reasonable distance from my stopping place for the day. And then, I prefer a private albergue...it's a sanitation and communicable disease thing. I am a sponge for anything respiratory... So, needs must...

I recommend using www.booking.com for locating commercial lodging. They feature inexpensive private albergues, all the way up to paradors (5-star hotels). However, not ALL lodging options are represented.

Also, from May through September, you will be competing for advance, reservable space against organized and led tour groups, package tour groups, students on formal chaperoned programs, etc. So, continue to do your research, both on this Forum and the web. New places are always coming on line, and some older places sometimes drop off the scene...:confused:

Remember 2016 is a proclaimed "Jubilee Year" by the Catholic Church (the Pope made the proclamation). This factor will increase the load demand all along the Camino, especially the Frances. I twill not be as crowded as during a formal Hioly YEar, the next one coming in 2021. But it will be busier than last year. So, book early and confirm often. I use Google Translate and e-\mail to send e-mail in Spanish. Most places, even if they do not have a website of their own do have an e-mail account.;)

I hope this helps.

MSPATH nailed the "correct" reply above.

In May, along the Camino Frances you can still hit snow at elevations over 700 meters. Expect rain. Plan for it. Also, morning temperatures in the single digits (c) are not uncommon. Albergues are frequently not heated. So, if you plan to stay in albergues, take a sleeping bag, at least a lightweight one. Search on the Forum for recommendations and tips.

As MSPATH states (paraphrasing) if you plan to stay in private albergues, hostals or hotels, bedding is typically provided. I have found that the more you pay, going up the continuum from albergue to hotel... the more you get. I have stayed in private hostals that provide a "blast" of heat in the radiators at 2200, and one other at about 0500, for an hour each time. Other places provided heat on demand - a luxury...

Currently, I am planning my fourth Camino for this April (so far). I am (finally) down to a rectangular, full zipper, microfiber sleeping bag liner from Alps Mountaineering. I stay in hostals or hotels 99% percent of the time, for personal, medical reasons...I learned in 2013 that my health was more valuable than the housing cost.:eek:

I usually only stay in an albergue if no commercial lodging cannot be found within a reasonable distance from my stopping place for the day. And then, I prefer a private albergue...it's a sanitation and communicable disease thing. I am a sponge for anything respiratory... So, needs must...

I recommend using www.booking.com for locating commercial lodging. They feature inexpensive private albergues, all the way up to paradors (5-star hotels). However, not ALL lodging options are represented.

Also, from May through September, you will be competing for advance, reservable space against organized and led tour groups, package tour groups, students on formal chaperoned programs, etc. So, continue to do your research, both on this Forum and the web. New places are always coming on line, and some older places sometimes drop off the scene...:confused:

Remember 2016 is a proclaimed "Jubilee Year" by the Catholic Church (the Pope made the proclamation). This factor will increase the load demand all along the Camino, especially the Frances. I twill not be as crowded as during a formal Hioly YEar, the next one coming in 2021. But it will be busier than last year. So, book early and confirm often. I use Google Translate and e-\mail to send e-mail in Spanish. Most places, even if they do not have a website of their own do have an e-mail account.;)

I hope this helps.
Thank you for all the info. Will be packing sleeping bags!
Welcome to the forum. I would advise bringing a lightweight sleeping bag and a liner as it can still get cold in May.
Buen Camino.

Cheryland Don:

I think you will be well satisfied with your decision. I advise that you shop for the lightest smallest, compressible sleeping bag you can fine. Down or synthetic is a personal choice. At best, it "sinks" to the bottom of your rucksack and you just carry it "just-in-case." At worst, you will need it, and be happy for having it.

You can trade off low temperature capability in a sleeping bag in return for bulk and weight, because you can easily wear clothing layers while sleeping, in an emergency.

The other suggestion I have is to opt for a rectangular or semi-rectangular design with a full-separating zipper. This allows you to use the bag, both on or off-Camino as a top or bottom quilt, zipped together with another similar bag to form a double-sleeping bag, or even a beach blanket or picnic quilt... depending on the need and circumstances.

I hope this helps...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Which camino are we talking about here? Are you answers any different if we are talking about the VdlP?
I was hoping to get by without a sleeping bag and only my thin liner, but I don't want to be miserable.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.