• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Donations to the Cathedral

MichaelB10398

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Suffice it to say I haven't yet stopped walking
As I have been studying pilgrimage during the middle ages I have learned that pilgrims, those of financial means, would all donate to the Cathedral in Santiago. I have never heard any of the pilgrims of today discuss this topic and wondered if there were any comments. Is it done today?

I would assume that one could follow in the steps of pilgrims of old and donate what is within one's own means. It would be appreciated given the expense of hosting so many pilgrims every year.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola Michael

I suspect this tradition is still maintained in two ways: the invitation to donate in the Pilgrims' Office which is run by the Cathedral. There are donation boxes along the counter where pilgrims are received and of course the offering which is taken up during Pilgrims' Masses.

Regards

John

Most read last week in this forum