• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Climb the Cathedral.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When societal norms are being ignored on multiple levels, we should expect that almost everything that builds a civil society be cast off in favor of the wants and desires of the individual. Respect for the community is a foreign concept.

This is to totally disrespectful behaviour. Absolutely terrible. But, is this kind of behaviour expected to happen?
I think that, while the Camino is promoted as a 'cheap touristic' destination (and this is what I see at least in TVE), apart from pilgrims and/or hikers, it will bring tourists as well, and some of them, not of the best kind.
It's not my intention to be polemic with this comment, it is just my opinion after seeing and talking to some hospitaleros about how the atmosphere is changing along years.

Last edited:
Some people see fit to climb everything. But his clothes don't strike me as pilgrim attire. More likely a tourist, maybe a local, definitely a climber.

I thought there was almost permanent police at the Cathedral now. Was he climbing somewhere they don't patrol?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But his clothes don't strike me as pilgrim attire.
I have watched the video and I do not think anyone can determine based on his clothes if he is a pilgrim or not. I have seen moronic behavior by pilgrims over my many caminos. Being a pilgrim definitely does not exclude you of behaving like an ass. All one has to turn for proof is the pathetic and wanton graffiti strewn all across the camino or the gross napkins and toilet paper that is left behind thousands of bushes because "pilgrims" are too lazy or selfish to carry out their gross trash. One way or another what this moron did should have been reported and he should have been punished to the fullest extent of the law. The story does not state if the police were called as this idiot was climbing the wall. Hopefully when the next person does something destructive and/or disrespectful they will be caught and dealt with.

Reminds me of that recent story of the guy caught on video carving his girlfriends name into the wall of the Coliseum. Dumb.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back