• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drain stopper?

Orafo

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Francés, SJPP to Santiago and Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2013); Planned: Camino del Salvador-Camino Primitivo-Camino Francés-Camino Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2014)
I have a universal drain stopper made of rubber that I normally take while traveling, but it weighs a few ounces, and I am trying to cut out all unnecessary weight before I leave on Sunday. Is such a stopper necessary, or will I be assured of finding sinks with them built in? Thanks for all replies.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Orafo

You´ll come across some sinks which do have one and some which don´t.

Buen Camino!

Thanks for the prompt reply, MendiWalker. Perhaps I should just leave it in my toiletries bag, then. ¡Gracias!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Orafo,

I found a universal stopper on Amazon.fr that weighs 27g, so 0.95 oz. Others on this forum have talked about using a piece of inner tube rubber to cover the sink drain. However, I just bought a Sea-to-Summit 10 liter Kitchen Sink that weighs 169g (6 oz.) and which allows me to not have to worry about the cleanliness of the sink, allows me to wash my clothes outside so I don't have to wait on line for a sink, and gives me something to soak my feet in if I want. So, you have options :)

Thanks, James. I've seen those sinks in our local outdoor stores and have been tempted. I don't have time to order anything from Amazon, but I may shop around locally a bit. Good to have these options.

I carried a piece of rubber for a sink stopper right across northern Spain and didn't use it once!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If it helps, on a comparison scale, I used my travel sink plug ( a few grams) more times than I needed my safety pins for hanging up clothes, and it saves much frustration early in the mornings or at the end of a hard day.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
will I be assured of finding sinks with them built in?
No.

The universal stoppers tend to slide off and drain the water, so I recommend, and carry, two fixed size plugs. I have left three behind over the years; they are available in Spain in hardware and "China" stores.

For drying clothes I use a twisted elastic cord with hooks and suction cups on the end. It hangs clothes under a bunk or on a window much better than safety pins.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A cheap rubber ball works well. Cut about a third off it, the curve will adapt to any drain size and it stays fairly secure, tends to reseat itself if you knock it washing clothes, etc. I don't know how much it would weigh, I imagine next to nothing. Just a thought, if the weight of a sink plug becomes critical what happens when you break a 10 euro note for a cup of coffee and end up with a pocket of change?

Actually, most allergies have small plastic wash tubs next to the laundry sink for soaking and washing, I did use my flat drain stopper for few times for places that did not have the wash tubs and accommodations that didn't have a laundry sink. Pick up a pack of 24 plastic clothes pins for 1 euro when you get there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used a piece of clothing to plug the drain, usually a sock. I washed one, and the replaced it with the other. Worked well.

I used a piece of clothing to plug the drain, usually a sock. I washed one, and the replaced it with the other. Worked well.
Not sure I would want to put one of my socks down the drain even just a little bit though.....This was ok to do that? Thx

HalfDomeorBust. I have used socks or a piece of clothing to stop water from going down the drain in Spain, Portugal and other countries and never lost a sock. If I am washing just undies and socks, I take them into the shower, wash them, and then use them as a face cloth. All the extra soap helps clean both the socks and me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
HalfDomeorBust. I have used socks or a piece of clothing to stop water from going down the drain in Spain, Portugal and other countries and never lost a sock. If I am washing just undies and socks, I take them into the shower, wash them, and then use them as a face cloth. All the extra soap helps clean both the socks and me.
Well K-fun, after walking the AT, I guess that I can say that I have done that and much worse. :)

Though a lot of albergues have plastic dishes for doing the laundry, I came across many that had neither a dish nor a plug. A rolled up sock does the job nicely.

One night the albergue was full and I had to take a private room. Joy oh joy, there was a bath albeit a very small one. Alas, no plug. Sock in the plug-hole, a heel on top to make sure no water escaped and a most enjoyable soak ensued.

Though a lot of albergues have plastic dishes for doing the laundry, I came across many that had neither a dish nor a plug. A rolled up sock does the job nicely.

One night the albergue was full and I had to take a private room. Joy oh joy, there was a bath albeit a very small one. Alas, no plug. Sock in the plug-hole, a heel on top to make sure no water escaped and a most enjoyable soak ensued.
Don't cha just hate it when you have to take a private room???

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't cha just hate it when you have to take a private room???
Strange as it may seem, yes I do!

I was 54 when I first set out on pilgrimage and hadn't stayed in a dormitory since school camp at the age of 10. To my great surprise, I love it. Listening to the night noises of snuffles, grunts and snoring fills me with a sense of community and belonging. I feel like I'm adrift and, strangely enough, take longer to go to sleep if I'm in a private room.

I've now done a number of pilgrimages and can only remember reaching for the ear plugs on three or four occasions.

Strange as it may seem, yes I do!

I was 54 when I first set out on pilgrimage and hadn't stayed in a dormitory since school camp at the age of 10. To my great surprise, I love it. Listening to the night noises of snuffles, grunts and snoring fills me with a sense of community and belonging. I feel like I'm adrift and, strangely enough, take longer to go to sleep if I'm in a private room.

I've now done a number of pilgrimages and can only remember reaching for the ear plugs on three or four occasions.
Hi Julie, just seems like a nice thing to do every once in awhile. Sorry for the infer that you should do that all the time. Really did not mean that. Cheers.

Ed

Hi Ed, I took your earlier message in the light-hearted spirit in which it was intended. My response was merely a thumbs up for the albergues. That I enjoy them so much (even the plugless ones) still amazes me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Ed, I took your earlier message in the light-hearted spirit in which it was intended. My response was merely a thumbs up for the albergues. That I enjoy them so much (even the plugless ones) still amazes me.
Thanks....Have a great day today and Buen Camino!!!! Ed

Well, as the originator of this thread, I thought I'd chime in from the Camino (now in Estella). I've been surprised by how few sinks have stoppers. For laundry, it's usually not a problem so far, as there are the plastic tubs. But for contact lens wearers, I'd recommend bringing a travel stopper. I ended up omitting mine from my pack out of an excessive concern for weight, and I regret it. Not a huge problem by any means, but having it would make the process a bit less nerve-wracking.
Frank

Go to a hardware store, a "china" store, or even some supermercados and buy one! Stoppers are available in Spain, and they fit the Spanish drains.

€60,-
Good suggestion, Falcon. I'll keep an eye out.

I had a "drain stopper" I didnt need it ,everynight.....but enough that I was glad to have it.

And like the member above...I took the light weight sea to summit kitchen sink.
I loved it. I got into a really good routine of arriving at my casa rural..stripping off and soaking my clothes in the kitchen sink and then having my shower. I also stomped on them sometimes when they were really dirty. I wouldnt travel without it now.

And oh yes.....Safety pins are great.

Lise do you have this one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MSUK66/?tag=casaivar02-20

I took a look at REI awhile back at the non ultra sil kitchen sink and was shocked at how much it weighed. What size did you take?

A lightweight "drybag" can work wonders as a clothing washer.
Add clothes, add detergent, add some water to get everything damp (doesn't have to be soaking wet) then you can close the bag and mash it all together for a while (but your hands stay dry)

Let it soak for 15 minutes then mash some more, dump, rinse, mash, rinse.... and you've got fairly clean clothes.

It does mean that you have to dry out the drybag, but they tend to be nonabsorbant and dry quickly.

Then you can use the bag to organize your pack, too, or to store wet raingear on the trail.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back