• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter accommodation

Anne Mclennan

Time of past OR future Camino
2009 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Frances
I plan to walk the Norte in starting around Easter in April 23. I’m happy to stay in a range of accommodation eg pensiones? cheap hotels, Alberques etc as will be sharing cost with a friend. We could book ahead if needed
Is there likely to be challenges getting accommodation over the Easter period ?
Will cafes and accommodation be closed on Good Friday and Easter Sunday?
Is April very rainy?
Is it correct that Alberques no longer provide blankets?
Thanks
Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i have not walked the Norte, but I am confident of the following information, imprecise though it is!
  • Is there likely to be challenges getting accommodation over the Easter period ? - Yes, Easter is a very busy time on the Camino and in many towns in Spain.
  • Will cafes and accommodation be closed on Good Friday and Easter Sunday? - It depends. In some small towns, the cafes and restaurants might be closed. Accommodation should be open but could be heavily booked.
  • Is April very rainy? Some years, yes, other years, no. You should be prepared for rain, especially in Galicia.
  • Is it correct that Alberques no longer provide blankets? - Some do and some don't. It seems that you cannot rely on them being provided.

Basically, the answer to all of your questions is, “Maybe?” Every village, albergue, season, and day varies tremendously, so it’s impossible to give you clear cut answers. You’ll have to address your blanket question to each place you are staying, follow the weather as Easter draws closer, etc.

The Norte is a long route which follows the shoreline and then passes through Galicia. In the springtime, there will likely be rain…but maybe not. All of Spain walks during Holy Week, but they don’t fill the entirety of every stage of every route - again, it will all depend on what part of the Norte you will be on.

In short, hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked on the Frances this past Easter. Burgos to Astorga. I was intimidated by the possibility of crowds over Easter Week so I pre-booked each night well in advance. No need. I am not religious but watching the processions was so uplifting I plan the same walk the same time with my son next year. Buen Camino

Another vague answer I'm afraid, it's hard to say. I have walked a few times during semana santa, the week leading up to Easter Sunday, including on the Norte. The majority of hospitality locations are open, and doing a booming business, but I recall some smaller places closing Easter Friday and Sunday. The real issue to consider is where you will be on those days, as it's a holiday weekend, and things book up. If I was in a tiny hamlet, some cafes may shut - in a larger city, the hostals may be full. I have always emailed ahead of time and booked places on Easter weekend. It wasn't clear to me that I had to, but you will definitely notice Spaniards travelling more that weekend. Getting food is not going to be an issue, there is always somewhere to eat open, but most shops will close on the Friday and the Sunday, so plan ahead for supplies. But walking into San Sebastion or Bilbao on Good Friday? You will find the lower cost accommodations booked out, and the higher priced places readily available....at a higher-still price.

i have not walked the Norte, but I am confident of the following information, imprecise though it is!
  • Is there likely to be challenges getting accommodation over the Easter period ? - Yes, Easter is a very busy time on the Camino and in many towns in Spain.
  • Will cafes and accommodation be closed on Good Friday and Easter Sunday? - It depends. In some small towns, the cafes and restaurants might be closed. Accommodation should be open but could be heavily booked.
  • Is April very rainy? Some years, yes, other years, no. You should be prepared for rain, especially in Galicia.
  • Is it correct that Alberques no longer provide blankets? - Some do and some don't. It seems that you cannot rely on them being provided.
Perfect answer for imperfect but perfectly understable questions. People can have a completely different camino experience walking even just a week or two apart let alone what will happen in a year. I am sure things are so different today from your first camino. I walked a few years after you walked your first camino and I can tell you the CF looks and feels completely differently. I think now with Covid and the probability that Covid and its variants are here to stay, with the possibility of some other pandemic erupting, as well as the every changing and troubling weather patterns from climate change who knows the rain, the economics of travel and a whole host of other factors, make predictions even about blankets just about impossible to determine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.