• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El camino con mi perro

Ian & Zen

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
Hi,
Thinking of walking el Camino in 2014 with my dog, Zen.
Please could you help me with the practicalities.
I have plenty of experience of long distance walks with Zen, but only in the UK, and never in Spain.
*How to travel to Spain and the Pyrenees ?
I know you can take a dog on the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, but can you as a foot passenger? If Zen needs a car, how can you find a willing driver to share the crossing? What are the alternatives: Eurostar & TGV, bus, hitching (with Zen – never tried that?)
*Accommodation ?
I usually camp. Do the campsites accept dogs? Do albergues, refugios, pensiones, hostales allow them?
*Zen's food ?
In the UK I post packets of high protein/calorie food on to post offices (poste restante/lista de correos) to collect on route. How reliable is this in Spain? Can I buy good quality dog food from shops on the camino regularly?
*Eating & drinking out?
Are there any places where dogs are allowed, like pubs in the UK, inside or outside? Or is it a case of I eat inside, and Zen sits outside, salivating, watching me eat...I couldn't do that :( ! So, what take away options are there?
Vets ?
How are they? I will need extra insurance, plus Zen needs to get some tapeworm treatment from a licensed vet prior to returning.
El camino ?
Is it all asphalt or is there softer terrain? Thinking of the effect on Zen's patitas)
Water ?
Is it frequently available? I am flexible about when. Thinking of May, June or September.
Sorry for all the questions..
Thanks for your help.
Ian & Zen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Ian.
We have never seen a dog with a foot passenger, dog owners usually are called to take their dogs direct to their cars. That isn't to say that you cannot, but I think only Brittany Ferries can answer that one for you. They are good at answering e-mails.

June and September can be hot, but you can check out average temps (I think) on some weather sites to help you decide.

We have seen dogs being left outside of cafes etc and also many places cannot let them into the accomodation - because of their licences etc. Eating outside isn't a problem as most places have somewhere with outside tables.

Zen will need anti rabies certificate to re-enter the UK I believe and the length of time between injection and return is important. Your vet should be able to help with that one.

For the rest we have walked the Norte, Primitivo and Inglés so cannot comment on terrain etc.

Folk have walked with dogs so it is not impossible, but it needs a lot of thought and research especially if travelling from the UK. You could try putting 'walking with a dog' into the forum search as there have been some posts on the subject earlier this year.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Hi,
Thinking of walking el Camino in 2014 with my dog, Zen.
Please could you help me with the practicalities.
I have plenty of experience of long distance walks with Zen, but only in the UK, and never in Spain.
*How to travel to Spain and the Pyrenees ?
I know you can take a dog on the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, but can you as a foot passenger? If Zen needs a car, how can you find a willing driver to share the crossing? What are the alternatives: Eurostar & TGV, bus, hitching (with Zen – never tried that?)
*Accommodation ?
I usually camp. Do the campsites accept dogs? Do albergues, refugios, pensiones, hostales allow them?
*Zen's food ?
In the UK I post packets of high protein/calorie food on to post offices (poste restante/lista de correos) to collect on route. How reliable is this in Spain? Can I buy good quality dog food from shops on the camino regularly?
*Eating & drinking out?
Are there any places where dogs are allowed, like pubs in the UK, inside or outside? Or is it a case of I eat inside, and Zen sits outside, salivating, watching me eat...I couldn't do that :( ! So, what take away options are there?
Vets ?
How are they? I will need extra insurance, plus Zen needs to get some tapeworm treatment from a licensed vet prior to returning.
El camino ?
Is it all asphalt or is there softer terrain? Thinking of the effect on Zen's patitas)
Water ?
Is it frequently available? I am flexible about when. Thinking of May, June or September.
Sorry for all the questions..
Thanks for your help.
Ian & Zen

I too wish I could bring my dog... Australian customs can be a nightmare grrrrr! Can't think of a more wonderful companion - other than the other pilgrims that is! I hope you make it with Zen. Find out all you can and do it... Please :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked from Moratinos to Santa Catalina de Somoza (just beyond Astorga) in June with a friend and her dog. We knew many places would not admit the dog, so we carried an ultralite tent. We used the tent one time, when none of the places in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos would let her stay there. (It was freezing cold out there!) Afterward, we asked around and combed over the flyers posted by private albergues for the upcoming towns, to find which might take the dog. It added to our daily mileage as well as our expenses.

But it was Bjork the dog who paid the most. She had to stay in broom closets and bathrooms or out in the garden. She waited in the street while we had our lunch. She was jumped by a couple of local hounds at one point, and by the end of the trip she was fed-up!

I love my dogs, and I love going places with them. But I would not walk the camino again with a dog, even though plenty of people do it. I do not think it is fair to the dog.

I walked from Moratinos to Santa Catalina de Somoza (just beyond Astorga) in June with a friend and her dog. We knew many places would not admit the dog, so we carried an ultralite tent. We used the tent one time, when none of the places in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos would let her stay there. (It was freezing cold out there!) Afterward, we asked around and combed over the flyers posted by private albergues for the upcoming towns, to find which might take the dog. It added to our daily mileage as well as our expenses.

But it was Bjork the dog who paid the most. She had to stay in broom closets and bathrooms or out in the garden. She waited in the street while we had our lunch. She was jumped by a couple of local hounds at one point, and by the end of the trip she was fed-up!

I love my dogs, and I love going places with them. But I would not walk the camino again with a dog, even though plenty of people do it. I do not think it is fair to the dog.
Looks like your dog got his own Camino experience ;) Did it tough at times, asked for some extra love from others... Don't know about the broom closet though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back