• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

enjoying the forum

frmikeminn

I'm Michael and will be traveling on the Camino in April and May. It's my second Camino and I'm looking forward to it. My daughter is traveling with me. I want to thank the people who have put so much time and effort into this forum and the people who watch it daily to help answer all the questions people have. I've learned a lot and know I will enjoy the trip more with the information I have received. I also remember with a good deal of fondness my time in Rabanal. My feet with pretty beat up by the time I got there and the people running the refuge were great. a hot shower, a clothes spinner and a great cider at a nearby pub..... ahhhhh.

now to find my daughter and go shopping!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
frmikeminn said:
I also remember with a good deal of fondness my time in Rabanal. My feet with pretty beat up by the time I got there and the people running the refuge were great. a hot shower, a clothes spinner and a great cider at a nearby pub..... ahhhhh.

Me too - a great albergue, nice folks, and the spinner was a godsend! The pubs were good as well, although an electrical storm had knocked out internet access while I was there - kind of a bummer, but oh, well. I stayed on for two days in the monastery, which was a good period of reflection - and partying with the albergue gals and priests. What a combination!... :wink: :arrow:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Arn said:
Is that something like a wringer or some such?

It's basically a no-frills clothes dryer, about the size of an office-style trash container. It uses centrifugal force to draw the water out the clothes.

The internal cylinder spins, and the water drains out through a spigot into a bowl (or just on the ground, I suppose). It only takes a couple of minutes to get your clothes almost dry - an hour or so on the line will take them the rest of the way...very nice!

It does have one drawback - one small item of mine (an arch support sock) was sucked between the inner and outer layer, and I looked all over the place for it until I figured out what happened. Luckily it had stuck close to the top where I could reach it...:arrow:

Hi Vinotinto, :)
I recognise that spinner! You must have stayed at hte 'English' refugio - Gaucelmo - in Rabanal. I spent many a happy afternoon last year, as hospitalero, drying pilgrim clothing. The expressions of gratitude at dry clothing were worth a fortune! :D
What dates were you and frmikeminn at Rabanal - we may have met, if not, thanks for the praise of the CSJ hospitaleros - we try to provide a real pilgrim welcome. :)
Brendan

brendan nolan said:
What dates were you and frmikeminn at Rabanal

I was there around the 14-16th of August 2007. The first night I stayed in Gaucelmo, and then I spent two nights in the monastery before heading off into the hills. The albergue was one of my favorites - good accomodations, nice big back yard, hot water, small library, and the spinner - sweet!

I seem to remember the Gaucelmo albergue being staffed entirely by women when I was there. They all came over to the monastery for a feed, and then either that night or the next we all went down to the town festival, where I earned the nickname "Mr. Dance" (the Electric Boogaloo/Slide is apparently international). One of the women (a Canadian, who helped me with the spinner) sent me a couple pictures of myself thru the mail. They were a nice bunch. :) :arrow:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.