• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enter stage left...

enroute

Dear grandpa- I've resigned from my job in Switzerland and now have until the end of June to prepare for the Santiago Way via this that or the other route..."Santiago who? Sounds like a nice chap, dear. Let me know which route you decide. Be safe. Travel light, and remember sometimes the best part of getting lost is being found. I love you."

Entering left, right or center stage with my arms in the air. I live not too far from Fribourg in Switzerland...shall I pick up the path there and get a move on July 1? I will travel alone, but have not ruled out searching for a good donkey for a companion and/or potential lift in an emergency.

Could use a simple checklist/practical itinerary for this rather sudden trip I've been called to do. Time is not a huge issue...but I do have some slightly tweeky knees and an iffy back. I must go anyway.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and best wishes to everyone and to their respective journeys!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
enroute said:
Dear grandpa- I've resigned from my job in Switzerland and now have until the end of June to prepare for the Santiago Way via this that or the other route..."Santiago who? Sounds like a nice chap, dear. Let me know which route you decide. Be safe. Travel light, and remember sometimes the best part of getting lost is being found. I love you."

Thank you enroute for the laughter you have brought to my morning. As an expert on getting lost, I agree that being found can bring some wonderful surprises. Last year I got lost in the rain in Orleans in France. A lady picked me in my completely bedraggled state and took me back to my hotel. I will remember her kindness when most other memories of my trip have faded.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Reply from Grandma

Enroute, you could get a train to Geneva - walk to Le Puy on the 350 km long Via Gebennensis (the CSJ says "waymarking is xxtremely thorough throughout with small blue and yellow Council of Europe stylised scallop shells.)
Then you could walk to Santiago on the Via Podiensis.
When you get to the cathedral, please give Uncle Jimmy a hug from me.
Grandma Sil

Re: Reply from Grandma

sillydoll said:
Enroute, you could get a train to Geneva - walk to Le Puy on the 350 km long Via Gebennensis (the CSJ says "waymarking is xxtremely thorough throughout with small blue and yellow Council of Europe stylised scallop shells.)
Then you could walk to Santiago on the Via Podiensis.
When you get to the cathedral, please give Uncle Jimmy a hug from me.
Grandma Sil

Thanks, Grandma Sil (and others also!) :D
Indeed, this sounds like best route for me. Next challenge: obtaining the pilgrim passport in a timely fashion! But it does not look so good, between applying for the membership to the Confraternity (that evidently would not even begin officially until Oct 1) and then if/when accepted submitting an application for the passport (process time?). Had hoped to get these happy feet enrout sooner rather than later...but afraid I could not afford the journey financially without the benefits of travelling with this infamous passport....any suggestions? :roll:

Getting a credential in time.

My dear Enroute,
No need to join a confraternity. Contact Mundicamino - they will send you an application form which you send back to them with a few Euro (Ithink it is 5 Euro for Europe) in an envelope and they will send you the official, Spanish credenciale.
Good luck,
Bon Voyage,
Buen Viaje,
Buen Camino

http://www.mundicamino.com/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back