• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Entrance to Portomarin

Sandrapf99

Time of past OR future Camino
Future:As soon as we are able to travel post Covid travel restrictions.
Hello everyone,

We want to know if the entrance to Portomarin is only by climbing up the stairs?

Also, do you remember climbing down a treacherous and dangerous piece before the crossing of the bridge? I’m not sure where exactly it is. I’m trying to avoid the dangerous parts at the end of that stage, when we’re most tired.

Thanks

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone,

We want to know if the entrance to Portomarin is only by climbing up the stairs?

Thanks
No, you can go around the long way as well.

More interesting, is when the level of the reservoir is extremely low, as it has been in the ongoing drought, you can walk across on the old bridge. Not mediaeval, that one came down ages ago, but pleasant to walk across anyway, when possible.

There's a long way round from the other side of that one too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, you can go around the long way as well.

More interesting, is when the level of the reservoir is extremely low, as it has been in the ongoing drought, you can walk across on the old bridge. Not mediaeval, that one came down ages ago, but pleasant to walk across anyway, when possible.
I think they're asking once they cross the bridge and are at the stairway.

I think they're asking once they cross the bridge and are at the stairway.
Yes indeed, just adding some extra info.

Both sets of stairs can be avoided, whichever bridge you might use.

And there are two long ways round, right or left, but yes right side is the more sensible of the two options.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife and I both are afraid of heights. Walking across the high bridge even with the guardrails on the pedestrian walkway is quite frightening for us. I look straight ahead, not glancing down or aside. Then when we reach the other side, here are the very steep stairway into Portomarin. We love the town, the shops, restaurants, and bars, but don't enjoy the entrance to the city. Bob

Hello everyone,

Thanks
When you reach the stairs, simply turn to your right.
Follow that road a short distance up to where you can see a way (to the left) into the village.
I want to say there is a park there, but it could be just a walkway between buildings.
Maybe it's a street named Lugo?
I've done it a kazillion times, but by that time of day, I'm just a walking robot.
Here is a little map - sorry, I'm not good at this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 6.15.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 6.15.21 AM.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looking at the map provided by @Anniesantiago above - there is a small path more or less immediately to the right of the stairs (on the map it is right under 'd' of Av de Sarria).
Looks a bit steep but definitely bypasses the stairs if that's the goal (BTW, I found them to be not as challenging as I initially thought)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looking at the map provided by @Anniesantiago above - there is a small path more or less immediately to the right of the stairs (on the map it is right under 'd' of Av de Sarria).
Looks a bit steep but definitely bypasses the stairs if that's the goal (BTW, I found them to be not as challenging as I initially thought)
Ok, thank you

I walked up the stairs. I thought it was the only way into town and the continuation of the Camino. A truck must have passed in front of me as I got to the base of the stairs, so I missed the yellow Camino arrows pointing to the left. Oh, well, I had 3 big glasses of orange juice and a toasted ham and cheese sandwich at a restaurant across from the Romanesque church in the middle of town. Duly fortified, I partially retraced my steps and walked down a long hill leading west out of town, turned left at the bottom and picked up the Camino signs. Crossed a bridge over an inlet of the reservoir and up I went in the direction of Palas de Rei. Somewhere in the forest, I paused and rested on a log. Three nice doggies came along and wanted to play. Maybe they smelled a hint of cheese and ham in the air . . . It was a good day.

@Sandrapf99, I too have a fearful dread of heights and an even worse fear of being dragged backwards by my pack when on steps/stairs without a handrail..

In October 2017, after the bridge I turned right and walked up to the top of the town: this is the route cyclists take (and they look for the easy ways in, don't they).

Going to the right also brings you to where most accommodation is.

Also, signposts to the church point right as you reach the end of the bridge.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I went into the town because I wanted to eat at O Mirador (with all the buzz i heard about it). Of course with my luck it was Monday and they were not opening until 1PM. I was not about to wait for close to 2 hours for the privilege... so i went to Bar Gonzar next door, had my Desayuno numero duo - Bocadillo Jamon York con tomat and then checked out Igrexa de San Nicolao before pretty much taking the same steps\route as @John Crawford Howell described above and proceeded to Casa Maruja in Castromaior.....
Good day... even with a bit of rain....

As most have posted yes at the approach to the stairs you can go right and up the hill to the village. The other question you posed was regarding a treacherous downhill on entering portomarin. Yes there is. I traveled it in early November 2022. There are signs to give you alternate routes in 2 different places coming into portomarin . Follow the signs to avoid the more difficult route. These are typically a little longer in distance but perhaps easier underfoot

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As most have posted yes at the approach to the stairs you can go right and up the hill to the village. The other question you posed was regarding a treacherous downhill on entering portomarin. Yes there is. I traveled it in early November 2022. There are signs to give you alternate routes in 2 different places coming into portomarin . Follow the signs to avoid the more difficult route. These are typically a little longer in distance but perhaps easier underfoot
Thank you so much. I’m traveling with a group, and some have bad knees.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Where does that take you if you turn left at the stairs???
How do you get up to Portomarin then?
I'm reverse engineering this a bit, Annie, but if you turn left at the base of the stairs, follow the Camino arrows, but when they direct you across a bridge, keep on walking straight ahead and take the hairpin sharp right and walk up the hill past O Mirador restaurant on the right. This street will take you directly into the middle of the town. Hope this helps.

I'm reverse engineering this a bit, Annie, but if you turn left at the base of the stairs, follow the Camino arrows, but when they direct you across a bridge, keep on walking straight ahead and take the hairpin sharp right and walk up the hill past O Mirador restaurant on the right. This street will take you directly into the middle of the town. Hope this helps.
If you look at Inkster's map, that sharp right mentioned above is Avenida Chantada.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think Portomarin is a lovely town and I wouldn't have wanted to miss it on either of my Caminos on the Frances. Yes, after crossing the bridge and seeing those steps looming ahead, it is a bit daunting, but it's really no big deal and feels great when you reach the top!
Take it slow if need be, rest a bit, turn around and see how far you've climbed...you'll make it.🙂

Last edited:
I see. Yeah, to me it's quicker and easier to just turn right at the stairs and in a very short walk you're up in the village. Otherwise, you go DOWN, then have to go UP again. lol! I avoid hills when I can. I'm a wimp.

I see. Yeah, to me it's quicker and easier to just turn right at the stairs and in a very short walk you're up in the village. Otherwise, you go DOWN, then have to go UP again. lol! I avoid hills when I can. I'm a wimp.
Over 21 Caminos? You are no wimp! You are an inspiration.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pics from Nov 2022

Attachments

• P old bridge Nov 2022 portrait.jpg
    P old bridge Nov 2022 portrait.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • P old bridge Nov 2022 Landsc.jpg
    P old bridge Nov 2022 Landsc.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
I've been a bit confused having so many on this thread talk about options to avoid using the steps to go into town as @peregrino_tom shows. I was unaware the river could fluctuate so much and open up to provide another way when low.
My pics are from early May 2015 and 2017...no low bridge in sight.
Screenshot_20221230-072422~2.pngScreenshot_20221230-072544~2.png

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can go both left or right on the road, before the stairs. We usually stay at a Larger Hotel which is amost at the end of Portomarin, heading toward Palace de Rei. Thus we sometimes go left at the bottom and then turn right on the road heading up into Portomarin. So do look on google to find out where you are staying and then decide which route is better for
you!

I may have missed it as there are a lot of replies and I just skimmed through. However, it appears you may have not received an answer re the section prior to the bridge. When we walked it this June there was a big sign that directed you one way or the other (steep or less steep but longer)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I may have missed it as there are a lot of replies and I just skimmed through. However, it appears you may have not received an answer re the section prior to the bridge. When we walked it this June there was a big sign that directed you one way or the other (steep or less steep but longer)
I know the big sign to which you refer. I chose the steeper route. As I recall, it was on a paved surface and not that difficult to descend, meaning, not hard on the quads. That was my experience.

I know the big sign to which you refer. I chose the steeper route. As I recall, it was on a paved surface and not that difficult to descend, meaning, not hard on the quads. That was my experience.
Last time this was discussed, somebody pointed out that there are actually three routes in, two of them being on the "steeper" route side.

All three are sloped, but take the right hand route and you won't go wrong. It's also the one that leads closest to the way down to the old bridge, if it's above water.

Hello everyone,

Also, do you remember climbing down a treacherous and dangerous piece before the crossing of the bridge? I’m not sure where exactly it is. I’m trying to avoid the dangerous parts at the end of that stage, when we’re most tired.

Thanks
Hi Sandrapf99 -
I do think you can walk around the stairs via right side as someone else mentioned. But in terms of the treacherous section before - yes - I know exactly what you're talking about because I inadvertently went that way. Not long after you pass Casabandaras Aleburgue (which you can see on Google earth or maps) you’ll come to a map/sign where you have to make a choice to walk the bike route way or the Ancient “Primitive” Pilgrimage way which by looking at the map/sign they have posted at that spot - if you go the ancient route it’s shorter, plus I just ended up following pack of people and they chose the ancient way. Basically if you have a bad knee this can be quite cumbersome and tricky. I had to sit on my butt and scoot down some of the rocks, very rocky with soft loose sand - like walking through a rocky trench with high walls. The end of that section drops you out next to the Highway and then you are getting close to famous bridge to cross into Portomarin. So take the bike route option if you want to avoid this section. I hope this info helps.
Doc River

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello everyone,

Thanks
"climbing down a treacherous and dangerous piece before the crossing of the bridge' Yes, there is a channel of rock that slopes downward sharply before the bridge; it reminded me of the descent into Zubiri, but it was much, much shorter. This channel was perhaps 40 feet long. You could do what I did to navigate this section. Sit down and scoot down! Much safer IMO than trying to navigate on foot especially if wet.

As you approach Portomarin there is a choice of routes, the left one takes you down a rather treacherous path, steep steps, loose underfoot and narrows. I remember thinking I would not like doing it in the rain. This being the section, starts off easy enough20190624_131843.jpg20190624_132140.jpg20190624_132324.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I remember that down-climb. It was my second walk to the bridge to Portomarin, the route having been changed since my previous arrival there. I could make no sense of the sign, which seemed to show three routes, where I had easily followed one safe route on my previous time through. I chose a route which looked shortest and headed directly for the bridge entrance. After an initial easy walk, it became very steep and irregular: a narrow down-climb between steep walls. I turned inward and hung on where I could, placing my feet very carefully all the way down to where the climb ended near the bridge entrance. I think I might have fallen if the footing had been wet.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Hi Sandrap
You can walk both left and right at the steps but the right is a bit steeper and longer.
As for the decent into Portomarin at the top of the hill before the decent there is an information board, the easiest and shortest route by far is using the right hand fork it’s trail and road all the way to the bridge.
Keith

I agree - I was quite intimidated when we arrived but it was a much easier climb than I thought (62yo out-of-shape female). Portomarin is a lovely little town that I enjoyed exploring before settling in to an adorable inn.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back