• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Estella to Leon

Edward1

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Lyon
Le Puy to SJPP
Porto to Santiago.
Santiago to Finnistre and Muxia
Hi All,
Next week Iam back walking from Estella to Leon anything I should know of importance along this route or things to avoid.(Roads out, Signs pointing the wrong way) AH dont worry im going anyway Im easy going so nothing minor should faze me. I read somewhere on this forum "The tourist expects and the Pilgrim accepts" I think im in the second category Ive no expectations whatever will be will be ive learnt this from my previous visit to the camino, when I met loads of interesting people from all over the world.Cant wait Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Edward!

Yes, just go with the flow. I've a couple of suggestions about options for different routes.

From Estella, just after the fountain of wine, you have a choice of going either via Luquin or Monjardin. I really can't remember which I took last year, but this year I took the Luquin route and it was lovely. I don't think there's an albergue there (there is a cafe) so you'd have to go on to Los Arcos, but that's a fairly short stage anyway.

Seek out the alternative route into Burgos rather than walk along the road. Although not particularly exciting, the route that takes you south of the airport is still much better than walking along the main road. Where the routes split it's not particularly well marked (we ended up having to walk acoss a field) so keep your eyes open!

After Sahagun take the route via Calzadilla de los Hermanillos rather than El Burgo Ranero. It's much nicer but make sure you take plenty of water at this time of year.

Buen Camino!

"The tourist expects and the Pilgrim accepts"
Personaly I would not except this consept at all. This was ok in the dim distant past when pilgrims depended on the charity of others along the way, but nowadays the modern pilgrim pays for his/her camino, from the flights from home to the albergues, hostals, meals etc and should expect to be treated with respect and give respect in return. Excepting what you get even if it is bad is just daft.
Enjoy your Camino, you will have a ball.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Edward

Nice and cool now in Leon but will be 30 degrees by mid-week, 30 degrees Celsius-no fun and no joke as dehydration and sunstroke become very real prospects to confront. Bring a good hat, not the baseball cap frill that our American cousins prefer but something with a proper brim plus an extra water bottle. Tyrrek is right, just past the wine fountain the Camino splits, the right fork goes back out to the highway and on to Monjardin where you can enjoy a cold beer under the plastic awning seated in a plastic chair or you may continue straight bearing left through hills covered with lavender and drink your wine sitting under a tree. The way is well marked but nothing there so make sure that extra water bottle is full. The American albergue in Najera is always packed and due to the great numbers of pilgrims and the structure itself, it becomes very very hot and sweaty at night. Do consider an alternative. There is a tourist info just over the bridge, in the library if I remember, info for accommodation and free internet. Boadilla is a iny village just before Fromista-one of the very nicest albergues- En El Camino- on the entire Camino, family run three generations there to help pilgrims. Loving home cooked dinner in their dining room and a grassy courtyard. Fromista possesses one of the most amazing Romanesque churches along the way, walk around the building twice and go in to look for the sculpture on the arches and the pillar capitals. Even if you arrive early, wait and go see it. One last word, check the weather before leaving Sahagun!! The Camino forks again, the southern arm through El Burgo Ranero is a bummer but passes through civilization while the northern arm is desolated! You will need to bring your own food and water for at least a day and a half. Do consider well if the temperatures remain in the 30’s. Headache? Dizzy? Weak? Not signs of oncoming migraine but that you are not drinking enough. The trick is to drink and drink some more drink until you pee,

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Tks for the info much appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back