• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eunate May 2012 - an odd question!

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

I have what might appear to be an odd query, but I'd love it if someone was able to offer an answer.

I walked the Camino Frances last summer, and on May 25 when walking from Cizur Menor to Puente la Reina I took the recommended detour to Eunate to see the Templar church. Given that it was in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking, I expected a quiet scene when I got there. Instead, I noticed buses from a distance and assumed there was a tour group there. My guide book mentioned that possibility, so I wasn't greatly surprised. However, when I arrived in the grounds, I realised there was a party or celebration of some sort going on. There were a lot of people, a barbecue, cooked food on tables. It didn't look like a tourist crowd, so I figured it was some local event. My Spanish left a little bit to be desired, and it was early in my Camino, so perhaps I hadn't quite come out of my shell by that point, so I didn't ask anyone what was going on.

This brings me to my unlikely question - does anyone know what was going on at Eunate on that day? Is it unusual to encounter that kind of scene there? I'm not asking only out of curiosity, though that's certainly part of it. Another reason is that I want to incorporate that scene into a story I'm writing, and I'd like to know what was actually happening there before I dramatise it!!! ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know this shouldn't be in the Camino Portugues forum. I posted it here by mistake in the first instance, and have tried to delete it, but to no avail!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
mspath said:
Try Googling the terms - Eunate, 25 Mayo, 2012. You might discover what was happening and even find some photos.
It may have been this >> http://eunateaccisor.blogspot.fr/2012_0 ... chive.html.

Enjoy your research!
Margaret Meredith

That's good advice, thanks. I checked that link, and while it was published on May 25, it flags an event scheduled for June 9.

I may have more luck looking for a needle in a haystack. I should have just asked someone at the time. Oh well!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first time I visited Eunate I also saw tour buses from a distance. In my case, there was a wedding on, and the guests had been bused in from elsewhere. I arrived as the buses were loading for departure and the wedding party were taking photos. I chatted a bit with my limited Spanish, and even had a nice conversation with the father of the bride who spoke English and had been to my home town, San Francisco.

Eunate is a beautiful and special place; I hope the church will remain open to the public, even though the albergue has closed.

nreyn12 said:
The first time I visited Eunate I also saw tour buses from a distance. In my case, there was a wedding on, and the guests had been bused in from elsewhere. I arrived as the buses were loading for departure and the wedding party were taking photos. I chatted a bit with my limited Spanish, and even had a nice conversation with the father of the bride who spoke English and had been to my home town, San Francisco.

Eunate is a beautiful and special place; I hope the church will remain open to the public, even though the albergue has closed.

Yes, it certainly is both beautiful and special. Being there was one of the highlights of my Camino!

Mark2012 said:
Hello all,

I have what might appear to be an odd query, but I'd love it if someone was able to offer an answer.

I walked the Camino Frances last summer, and on May 25 when walking from Cizur Menor to Puente la Reina I took the recommended detour to Eunate to see the Templar church. Given that it was in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking, I expected a quiet scene when I got there. Instead, I noticed buses from a distance and assumed there was a tour group there. My guide book mentioned that possibility, so I wasn't greatly surprised. However, when I arrived in the grounds, I realised there was a party or celebration of some sort going on. There were a lot of people, a barbecue, cooked food on tables. It didn't look like a tourist crowd, so I figured it was some local event. My Spanish left a little bit to be desired, and it was early in my Camino, so perhaps I hadn't quite come out of my shell by that point, so I didn't ask anyone what was going on.

This brings me to my unlikely question - does anyone know what was going on at Eunate on that day? Is it unusual to encounter that kind of scene there? I'm not asking only out of curiosity, though that's certainly part of it. Another reason is that I want to incorporate that scene into a story I'm writing, and I'd like to know what was actually happening there before I dramatise it!!! ;-)

Hi Mark!

What you witnessed was undoubtedly a romería, which is a local pilgrimage to a nearby shrine, hermitage or sanctuary. They are very common all across Spain. They can be made to any hermitage or shrine dedicated to any saint, but the most popular ones are the ones to shrines dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Since the church at Eunate is dedicated to Blessed Virgin (its full name is La Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate), and since the month of May is traditionally set aside for devotion to her in the Catholic Faith, what you witnessed was a local romería to this lovely little church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, organized either by a parish, or by a local school or confraternity. There would have been a Mass with recitation of the rosary, and then a big family celebration afterwards. All quite festive and common!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mark, We could do with a few more odd questions in the forum!

Not only was it a good question Navarricano's reply was a new one to me. Seriously useful info.

Thank you to you both.

Navarricano said:
Hi Mark!

What you witnessed was undoubtedly a romería, which is a local pilgrimage to a nearby shrine, hermitage or sanctuary. They are very common all across Spain. They can be made to any hermitage or shrine dedicated to any saint, but the most popular ones are the ones to shrines dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Since the church at Eunate is dedicated to Blessed Virgin (its full name is La Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate), and since the month of May is traditionally set aside for devotion to her in the Catholic Faith, what you witnessed was a local romería to this lovely little church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, organized either by a parish, or by a local school or confraternity. There would have been a Mass with recitation of the rosary, and then a big family celebration afterwards. All quite festive and common!

That is fascinating. Thank you very much. I had just about resigned myself to never figuring it out before I read your post. I'm sure it was exactly what you suggest. On the day, it looked like a celebration, but it didn't seem to focus on an individual or specific group within the crowd, so I was fairly sure it wasn't anything like a communion or confirmation or a wedding.

I think I have my solution. Thank you again!

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Mark, We could do with a few more odd questions in the forum!

Not only was it a good question Navarricano's reply was a new one to me. Seriously useful info.

Thank you to you both.

Seriously useful info, indeed. Here's to odd questions!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.