• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

EuroSchirm Umbrella beaten by Santiago

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most recent: Fall 2023 Aragonés, Frances
My EuroSchirm umbrella has made it through all sorts of conditions but this afternoon it was no match for the major wind and rain in Santiago. Soon as I walked in front of the Cathedral, intense wind snapped it inside out, back and forth and snapped a rib! What a tormenta a couple of hours ago! Now suddenly the rain has stopped and the sun is fighting through. But my umbrella 😔 Mostly I use it for the sun - it is wounded but will carry on 👍🏻

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My EuroSchirm umbrella has made it through all sorts of conditions but this afternoon it was no match for the major wind and rain in Santiago. Soon as I walked in front of the Cathedral, intense wind snapped it inside out, back and forth and snapped a rib! What a tormenta a couple of hours ago! Now suddenly the rain has stopped and the sun is fighting through. But my umbrella 😔 Mostly I use it for the sun - it is wounded but will carry on 👍🏻
That's exactly what eventually happens to my $5 umbrellas in extreme Camino winds. I just toss and get another...like buying on the installment plan and I don't care when they finally "bite the dust"!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tossing a spent umbrella may work for a $ / € 5 umbrella. But a $ / € 60 Euroschirm umbrella is another matter. It might be repairable.

This said, I recently discovered this umbrella / paraguas at Decathlon:

In Spain: https://www.decathlon.es/es/p/paraguas-golf-profilter-small-negro/_/R-p-14862?mc=8392138&c=AMARILLO

In the US: https://www.decathlon.com/collections/golf-umbrellas/products/golf-uv-umbrella-compadry-120?

I bought this as an impulse purchase when I was there at the Santiago superstore in May. Once I saw the color, perfect for road walking on Camino, I could not resist. The price of €14.99 was also great.

While working as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, I used it in several very heavy and windy days of rain. UNLIKE the Euroschirm, the Decathlon "golf" umbrella would not turn inside out. Evidently, it has additional supports and connecting strings that prevent this action.

Also, the Decathlon umbrella is lighter than the Euroschirm. I have not actually weighed both, but holding them one in each hand, the weight difference is apparent to me.

When you realize that the Decathlon item is one third or less the cost of the Euroschirm, is lighter, brighter, and weighs less... DOH!?

Hope this helps...

Tossing a spent umbrella may work for a $ / € 5 umbrella. But a $ / € 60 Euroschirm umbrella is another matter. It might be repairable.

In Spain: https://www.decathlon.es/es/p/paraguas-golf-profilter-small-negro/_/R-p-14862?mc=8392138&c=AMARILLO

In the US: https://www.decathlon.com/collections/golf-umbrellas/products/golf-uv-umbrella-compadry-120?

I bought this as an impulse purchase when I was there at the Santiago superstore in May. Once I saw the color, perfect for road walking on Camino, I could not resist. The price of €14.99 was also great.

While working as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, I used it in several very heavy and windy days of rain. UNLIKE the Euroschirm, the Decathlon "golf" umbrella would not turn inside out. Evidently, it has additional supports and connecting strings that prevent this action.

Also, the Decathlon umbrella is lighter than the Euroschirm. I have not actually weighed both, but holding them one in each hand, the weight difference is apparent to me.

When you realize that the Decathlon item is one third or less the cost of the Euroschirm, is lighter, brighter, and weighs less... DOH!?

Hope this helps...
Thanks, Tom! Another good reason to love Decathlon!

They only have the one store in San Francisco. But they do online ordering.

If you, like me, are familiar with their brands, styles, fit and finish, you can score some incredible deals online.

In fact, I recently received some low cut socks (identical to what I buy in Europe) and three synthetic t-shirts for USD 4.00 EACH. The postage was about the same as the total cost of the goods ordered. This was a test order to see if ordering from Decathlon was worthwhile.

Aside from the fact, as I live in South Florida, cross-country UPS ground service took 8 calendar days, it was great.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was on the Portugués yesterday and my wind proof umbrella is now in the first cafe garbage coming down the hill into Via Praia de Ancora. That wind and rain were unbelievable. Beautiful sunny day today.

Seems the wind is a problem for all trekking umbrellas.

Does the Umbrella Repair Man still have a stall by La Radio cafe (across from the market). Worth looking if only for La Radio's churros and the produce in the market!

Edit: THIS is the place though the Google Earth image was taken in 2009 - a lot of umbrellas have broken since then!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hope this helps...
Hi t2andreo, have you or anyone here had problems at the airport with retractable umbrella in their carry-on backpack?. TSA website indicates that umbrellas are ok, but they also have this text.
"The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

No, I have never had a problem with any retractable umbrella at TSA security, or European security checkpoint for that matter. I have traveled with the Euroschirm on a couple of occasions and have not had any second glances. Your experience may vary...

I believe, and opine that they are concerned about umbrellas with hidden weapons, e.g. an embedded stabbing weapon, similar to a defensive walking cane. Alternatively, an umbrella built so sturdily as to double as a defensive weapon, might cause concerns.

However a lightweight hiking or other general use umbrella ought not be a problem, especially if most of the structural components are plastic or aluminum. I cannot see these two umbrellas being a problem.

If the umbrella was designed to double as a walking stick and had an embedded tungsten steel tip, like a hiking pole, THAT would be a definite no-no. Without the metal pointy tip, the hiking stick is a walking aid. With the pointy bits, it is a potential spear. That is the crux of the issue for the folks desiring to travel with hiking sticks. I always check mine anyway...

The collapsed size of both the Euroschirm or Decathlon umbrellas described above is about 18 inches / 40 cm (+/-). This easily lashes to the outside of your Camino sized rucksack.

As mentioned. the authorities have the final say so once they have x-rayed your umbrella.

Hope this helps.

No, I have never had a problem with any retractable umbrella at TSA security, or European security checkpoint for that matter. I have traveled with the Euroschirm on a couple of occasions and have not had any second glances. Your experience may vary...

I believe, and opine that they are concerned about umbrellas with hidden weapons, e.g. an embedded stabbing weapon, similar to a defensive walking cane. Alternatively, an umbrella built so sturdily as to double as a defensive weapon, might cause concerns.

However a lightweight hiking or other general use umbrella ought not be a problem, especially if most of the structural components are plastic or aluminum. I cannot see these two umbrellas being a problem.

If the umbrella was designed to double as a walking stick and had an embedded tungsten steel tip, like a hiking pole, THAT would be a definite no-no. Without the metal pointy tip, the hiking stick is a walking aid. With the pointy bits, it is a potential spear. That is the crux of the issue for the folks desiring to travel with hiking sticks. I always check mine anyway...

The collapsed size of both the Euroschirm or Decathlon umbrellas described above is about 18 inches / 40 cm (+/-). This easily lashes to the outside of your Camino sized rucksack.

As mentioned. the authorities have the final say so once they have x-rayed your umbrella.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hope this helps.
Flying out of Gatwick to come and work in the Pilgrim Office last September I was about to sit down when I noticed a long (it covered two seats), black golfing umbrella. I hesitated thinking somebody had "saved" the seats but the man opposite said it had been there for ages.
Imagine managing to get your umbrella through security only to leave it behind in the departure lounge!

Hi t2andreo, have you or anyone here had problems at the airport with retractable umbrella in their carry-on backpack?. TSA website indicates that umbrellas are ok, but they also have this text.
"The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."
I have the same issue with my hiking poles. Half the time they get through security and the other half they don't. I believe most definately it depends on the personality and "mood" of those who are on duty.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So I am a fan of the EuroSchirm UV hands-free umbrella (logged about 1100 Camino miles under it)...and now I hear about Decathlon. Do they also have a hands-free model ? Will walk again in the fall and if there is something new I need to try...!

The Decathlon model is actually designed as a golf umbrella. However, it's size, weight and available bright neon color, make it ideal for Camino use.

There is not a hands-free apparatus for it. However, I have tested it stuck into my sternum strap and with one other velcro strap (the size from securing wires) to my vertical rucksack shoulder strap. It does not bounce around any more than the Euroschirm umbrella, at least IMHO.

Or, you can try this:

I hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.