• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra Day in the Last 100km -- Where To Spend It

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles fr. Ferrol 8/2024
I'm doing a (very) short Camino walk between O Porrino and SdC between Christmas and New Year's Day. I've allowed for an extra day in case the weather is particularly bad (not a fan of too much shloshing or mud), but if it isn't, would any of the towns along that stretch be worth spending a full/rest day in? (I've already been to SdC and will have some time there already when I finish, so don't feel the need to spend more time there.)

Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm doing a (very) short Camino walk between O Porrino and SdC between Christmas and New Year's Day. I've allowed for an extra day in case the weather is particularly bad (not a fan of too much shloshing or mud), but if it isn't, would any of the towns along that stretch be worth spending a full/rest day in? (I've already been to SdC and will have some time there already when I finish, so don't feel the need to spend more time there.)

Thanks.
I suggest Padron, about 5 hours walk from Santiago, famous for its peppers and you can a certificate from the tourist office...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walk the Spiritual Variant?

I am considering that, but it is unclear if we can get a boat for the third stage. (A Mare will run a boat only if they have 10 people and I'm not sure we want to risk going that way and being stuck; they are currently keeping lists of people who are interested in late Dec. and will let us know if they get 10 for the date we would need it.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pontevedra and Padrón, both already mentioned are what first come to mind. Pontevedra is a larger city with museums and other sights, as well as plenty of places to stay and places to eat. Padrón is smaller. Not so much in the way of shiny museums. What it has going for it is a close connection to St. James, with a number of sites related to his ministry when he was alive and his return after his martyrdom. So it has places to interest those pilgrims for whom St. James is important. And the peppers, of course, although they probably won't be in season when you walk.

I am going to spend an extra day in Pontevedra, the 28th of December to be precise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you stop in Padrón, go to Cafe Don Pepe by the church. The owner sends you off with an exuberant goodbye saying how proud he is of you and possibly a big bear hug. It is a great way to start your last day on the Camino.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s open in the Winter, but the monastery in Herbon is worth the detour.

There's a beautiful statue of St James at the top of a hill in Padron off-route that's worth seeing. It has a nice quiet green area that's great to sit in and reflect. Budget an extra hour to get up there, sit for a bit, and to return to the route.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There's a beautiful statue of St James at the top of a hill in Padron off-route that's worth seeing. It has a nice quiet green area that's great to sit in and reflect. Budget an extra hour to get up there, sit for a bit, and to return to the route.
That's where St. James is supposed to have preached to the Iberians.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back