• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Father and son take the road to Assisi

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Today's Telegraph offers a delightfull reportage by Paul Hart of walking on the path of St Francis with his 80 year old father. Good food, views and conversations were parts of their common bond. Amongst their shared pleasures was walking through the "meadow and the wood preceding it ... where Michelangelo said he found peace."

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Today's Telegraph offers a delightfull reportage by Paul Hart of walking on the path of St Francis with his 80 year old father. Good food, views and conversations were parts of their common bond. Amongst their shared pleasures was walking through the "meadow and the wood preceding it ... where Michelangelo said he found peace."
Thank you for sharing the link! I am starting to think about doing this walk next year, time to start reading about it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for posting this. My wife and I walked this route in 2015 and loved it. Hope I can do walk it when I am 80! Sandy Brown's guidebook was outstanding.

I walked the Cammino di Assisi / Francesco a couple of years ago. Instead of walking from Florence I connected from the Cammino di Sant'Antonio at a tiny little village called Davadola. The first 10 days or so are on forested tracks, fairly high, with wonderful views, and very few pilgrims (or people full stop!) It is necessary to advice the friends group of your proposed start date on the first section and they will then send notes to you. Once arriving at the albergue in Davadola the priest issues a credencial along with a little package of maps and directions (in Italian) and a google translated version in English. I think they are trying to "control" the numbers on this section so that there is always a bed for everyone. The last and frst day of the Sant Anotnio and the Assisi are duplicated as the little church on top of the hill is of importance in the lives of both Saints.

A beautiful way, arduous due to the ascents and descents, sometimes many hundreds of meters several times a day, but well worth the effort, with rewards coming in the solitude, the beauty, and the peacefulness of the places so loved by St Frances.

It is almost a year ago that I set off on my own to walk 1,000 km from a small village on the Via Podensis (or Le Puy route) through to Finisterre. This forum was invaluable for getting my gear organised and understanding how the Camino Frances worked (although I started north of St Jean Pied de Port to gradually get my 'walking legs' before tackling the Pyrenees!! I survived my two month pilgrimage and had many great moments (both alone and meeting up with other pilgrims, as well as some members of my family). However, my 63 year old body (well my feet and knees) has taken eight months to recover ;)
But I think I'm on the mend now (and the four toe nails I lost have grown back:D), so I've started thinking about my next walk!! Although this time, I probably won't manage to get a two month break from the family, so a month walking in Italy sounds just right - but not until this heatwave in Europe has finished!!)
I've just bought Sandy Brown's book (Kindle version) on 'Trekking the Way of St Francis', and I'll start looking at where I can begin/end my next walk. Enjoying linking up with this forum once again.
Suzanne :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Due to length restraints, I’ve had to to split the story into two posts. I find it no longer ‘flows’. I suggest reading Part 1 again, link below, before reading Part 2. Regards Gerard Part 1 link...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back