• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Reims and "finally" woke up to sunshine and blue skies!

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
The last 2 weeks have been somewhat challenging with, not only miles on my feet, but raindrops falling from the sky.
I arrived in Reims yesterday afternoon with clouds overhead, had a great meal and retired early.
Got up this morning and saw sunshine and blue skies for the first time in a while and immediately got out of bed to enjoy a scheduled day off, getting breakfast, doing laundry and being a tourist for the day.

Attachments

• 20230517_073712.jpg
    20230517_073712.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,552
  • 20230517_074454.jpg
    20230517_074454.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230517_073855.jpg
    20230517_073855.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Milestone reached and a beautiful one.

It's only going to get warmer so hope you enjoyed the rain. You'll be wishing for it in Italy later.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With so much rain I am hoping the pass will be passable around June 12th.
I hope you will find very helpful volunteers in the Cathedral in Reims. Good advice on accommodation from them.

You should have no problem at the Pass by middle of June. There seems to be quite a lot of fresh snow at the moment and the planned stage of the Giro d'Itlaia has been cancelled on Friday. But this was dependent on opening the road considerably earlier than usual, and there has been news every day of an unequal struggle with the snow. I guess they can clear the road OK but have to take into consideration safety of large crews of people and spectators(?) and the risk of avalanche.

I would rather do it on foot than on a bicycle myself. Once the road is officially open - usually first week in June - they are committed to keeping it open and clearing any fresh snow.

Enjoy Reims - a beautiful city.

Tim

Thank you for your knowledgeable reply. I booked this entire trip using the pass opening timetable in conjunction with the 90 day Schengen window.
So I hope Mother Nature is not in the mood this season for practical jokes!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Milestone reached and a beautiful one.

It's only going to get warmer so hope you enjoyed the rain. You'll be wishing for it in Italy later.

Then again .. maybe not. Imola in Italy - Po valley

Attachments

• _129753017_f7371b334a2930f8deae88dd1eb672deb38950db.jpg
    _129753017_f7371b334a2930f8deae88dd1eb672deb38950db.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 8
You are not there yet, and maybe you are not that much into Formula1 racing, but this is happening now:

FwU3bEYXwAANm9_

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wonderful photos Bob! Glad that you have safely made it this far.
You are almost in my front yard since I live nearby on an island in the Marne river.
Do ask at the cathedral or any tourist office for the list of families who offer pilgrim housing through the donativo Chaine d'Hospitalité Locale. Those who offer pilgrims such hospitality do so for the pleasure meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them. See more here re such a Chaine in the area of Reims, département 51.

Tomorrow, 18 May, is a holiday here in France, la fête l'Ascension celebrated 40 days after Easter. Since the holiday falls on a Thursday many people will also take off Friday to have a long weekend. Be prepared.

Wherever you go Bon chemin !

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I really wish I knew this during my planning. My accommodations are booked already all the way through Rome.
I, also, didn't know about the upcoming holiday you mentioned. Oh, the things I have learned so far along my way.
I guess the old saying of teaching an old dog new tricks is really true after all.
Thank you and I'll wave as I go by.

Have you seen this French info re walking the VF?
Your first steps from Reims towards Châlons-en-Champagne will cross famous vineyards. Years from now whenever you sip a glass of French champagne those bubbles will have a special meaning.

Good luck, Bon chemin and in the truest sense, Ultreia!

Last edited:
Have you seen this French info re walking the VF?
Your first steps from Reims towards Châlons-en-Champagne will cross famous vineyards. Years from now whenever you sip a glass of French champagne those bubbles will have a special meaning.

Good luck, Bon chemin and in the truest sense, Ultreia!
I walked out of Reims on 30 June, 2022 into a very threatening weather front. The rain started early and continued as I walked in the vineyards, trying to move away from the wicked black thunderclouds to the S of my path. I was not on the official route, as I had veered a bit NE to avoid walking directly into the cloud front. About four hours later I found myself nearing a village named Vaudemanges. Realizing that I was about to get caught in a major thunderstorm, I sought shelter in a small coveered courtyard that doubles as the local bus stop at l'ecole. The heavens opened and thunder and lightning commenced to put on a majestic show, accompanied by torrential rain. This lasted for about 30 minutes and then abated to a steady rain. Looking on several websites, I discovered a gite in a nearby champagne house. Champagne Francart, a small family owned champagne producer, has constructed a very modern and welcoming set of private rooms, operated as "Le clos du moulin", on top of one of their storage and production buildings. They had a room available and were about two blocks away from where I was sheltering from the storm. They were so welcoming and gracious. Visiting with Madame Francart, I discovered that their only export market is Seattle, Washington, and I live only a couple of miles from one of the stores that carries their champagne. Your observation is correct. Whenever we drink champagne, the bubbly calls to mind that wonderful (but wet) hike and I often get to regale my guests with a story about the wonderful serendipity of walking pilgrimages and treks. The world is full of wonderful and interesting people.
Bon chemin.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back