• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Albergues on Central Route from Porto

EricBerg

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May 2019
Hi,

Some of you may have seen this question recently. I posted a question on the wrong forum, not realising that there were different forums for the Portuguese route from Porto.

I have read that it could be a good plan to walk 2 days along the coastal route and then follow the central route? Is this a good plan?
Can you suggest "not to be missed" Albergues, please.

Many Thanks

Eric

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The answers will be subjective.. one pilgrim's definition of a 'not to be missed albergue' might be another's 'avoid like the plague albergue'. And many will gush over one in particular, predictably.

But what about just walking and finding your way as you go? I see you've walked the French way already. I love the initial walk out to the Foz and up the coast, but many say it's boring and opt for the metro. Some albergues I would stay in again, some I wouldn't.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can you suggest "not to be missed" Albergues, please.
Someone’s going to say Casa da Fernanda soon enough so it might as well be me.

But really, no albergue is “not to be missed”. Your camino experience is your camino experience, whatever that may be. Instead of a popular albergue that you miss out on, you may instead have some other wonderful, unexpected experience at a different place. Or an albergue that others rave about might not be exactly your kind of place.

Perhaps wise advice is to try not to have expectations (for albergues or anything else) and to let your camino come to you.

It's not an albergue, but Casa do Crucerio in Raices. It was about $60 a night with your own room and bathroom. But the food!!! For 25 euros you got a multi-course meal of some of the most delicious food. It was like dining in a Michelin rated restaurant.

I HIGHLY recommend doing the Spiritual Variant and staying at the Monastery. It is a doozy of a hike up to it, but 1000% worth it. Plus the next day is one of the prettiest hikes I've ever done.

Someone’s going to say Casa da Fernanda soon enough so it might as well be me.

But really, no albergue is “not to be missed”. Your camino experience is your camino experience, whatever that may be. Instead of a popular albergue that you miss out on, you may instead have some other wonderful, unexpected experience at a different place. Or an albergue that others rave about might not be exactly your kind of place.

Perhaps wise advice is to try not to have expectations (for albergues or anything else) and to let your camino come to you.
I agree 100000%. I have stayed in albergues that were pretty miserable that I had A+ expierences based on what happened and who I met. I have also stayed in some of the most highly recommended albergues that I have no recollection of whatsoever. The experience one has will only be determined by your arrival, your head and heart and those you may or may not come across as your night unfolds.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As mentioned Casa Fernanda is great because of the communal dinner, which are hard to come by. However I also loved the communal dinner at Pilgrims Nest/Ninho. The owner is such a sweet lady and another woman from the village comes to cook. It’s great to have this option because after a long day of going uphill for hours, it’s nice to not have to walk down the road to the only restaurant in town. The communal dinner is only available to those staying at the albergue, which is a great albergue. They have a couple private rooms. I highly recommend this. The food was excellent and the dining space was beautiful.

Edit: this albergue is is Rubiaes.

It's not an albergue, but Casa do Crucerio in Raices. It was about $60 a night with your own room and bathroom. But the food!!! For 25 euros you got a multi-course meal of some of the most delicious food. It was like dining in a Michelin rated restaurant.

I HIGHLY recommend doing the Spiritual Variant and staying at the Monastery. It is a doozy of a hike up to it, but 1000% worth it. Plus the next day is one of the prettiest hikes I've ever done
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I`m not too sure where/what the Spiritual Variant is. Can you give me some info please?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I`m not too sure where/what the Spiritual Variant is. Can you give me some info please?
It’s a variant shortly after Pontevedra that typically includes two days of walking, a boat ride and then a 2km walk to rejoin the standard camino at Padrón. I highly recommend it, as do plenty of others.

Here are my highlights of the VE if you want to find out more:

https://spiritofthecamino.com/variante-espiritual-highlights/

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back