• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferry Carminha to Spain

susiemcc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2010)
Le Puy Route (2012)
Camino Portuguese (2015)
Finisterre/Muxia (2015)
Euro Peace Walk (2015)
Hot off the press..........today (Friday) we crossed the water! Ferry timetable said Saturday and Sunday only. As we looked at the ferry in dismay a young man (local) arrived who had walked the coastal route recently. He gave us the phone number of Captain Mario who will ferry people across the mouth of the river for €5pp. We were told to walk around to the jetty at the restaurant near the camping ground and to phone him. As we didn't know how long it would take we decided to call him on arrival. We passed some fisherman and quizzically asked them if one of the was Mario....no but as we reached the jetty there he was...we think the fisherman had called him and said we were on our way. A good trip for him as we had met 2 others on the way who wanted to cross as well. Attached is the phone number......(00351)9634166259......hope you like the paper!
On speaking with the guy at our auberge in Mougas he said that since the ferry had stopped running regularly their business was really quiet. Scenery is beautiful and worth the effort so please seek out Captain Mario and walk through this beautiful area of Camino Portuguese. Happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hot off the press..........today (Friday) we crossed the water! Ferry timetable said Saturday and Sunday only. As we looked at the ferry in dismay a young man (local) arrived who had walked the coastal route recently. He gave us the phone number of Captain Mario who will ferry people across the mouth of the river for €5pp. We were told to walk around to the jetty at the restaurant near the camping ground and to phone him. As we didn't know how long it would take we decided to call him on arrival. We passed some fisherman and quizzically asked them if one of the was Mario....no but as we reached the jetty there he was...we think the fisherman had called him and said we were on our way. A good trip for him as we had met 2 others on the way who wanted to cross as well. Attached is the phone number......(00351)9634166259......hope you like the paper!
On speaking with the guy at our auberge in Mougas he said that since the ferry had stopped running regularly their business was really quiet. Scenery is beautiful and worth the effort so please seek out Captain Mario and walk through this beautiful area of Camino Portuguese. Happy to answer any questions.
I wrote the same story three weeks ago here on the forum with the same experience. Nice trip with Mario's boatimage.jpg
See my blog. http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl/1/

Last edited:

Hi
We want to walk the coastal route leaving from Porto, travelling thru Esposende, crossing at Caminha, then to Vig and then joining main route in Redondela. How is the route? Is it easy to follow? Are there places to stay? Distance? There is not a lot of info out there that i have been able to find. I have seen some beautiful pictures but not any maps of this way in English. I would love to hear any information you would like to share about your trip. We will be in Porto in June. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi
We want to walk the coastal route leaving from Porto, travelling thru Esposende, crossing at Caminha, then to Vig and then joining main route in Redondela. How is the route? Is it easy to follow? Are there places to stay? Distance? There is not a lot of info out there that i have been able to find. I have seen some beautiful pictures but not any maps of this way in English. I would love to hear any information you would like to share about your trip. We will be in Porto in June. Thanks!

I (and other perigrinos) would heartily reccomend maps by Luis Freixo! They're superb and you can find them on -
http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117Buen

Although Luis's maps and info are in Portuguese, it hasn't been a problem for us.

There is also the new (2016) version of John Brierleys Guide and separate Map Book. The maps aren't quite as detailed as Luis's maps but some of the other info in them might be useful for you.

Do you have a starting date from Porto yet?
We will be arriving in Porto on June 6th and starting walking on the 8th.
Maybe see you there?
Anyway - Bom Caminho!
Sheena

Last edited:
Hi
It is a beautiful walk . I posted earlier last year two you tube vids of the coastal and the Variante Espiritual-highly recommandated -see the subforums) so you have an impression what both are alike.
You can stay everywhere.
We started in Viana do Castelo in the suberb hostal Laranjeiro- stayed in a touristical appartment in Vila Praia de Âncora, a hotel in A Guarda and Santa Maria de Oia. A hostal in Baiona and a hotel in Vigo. Distances all in between 20 kms
Read back on the subforum caminho da costa here and you will find more answers on your questions.
And keep the ocean at your left all the time !

I (and other perigrinos) would heartily reccomend maps by Luis Freixo! They're superb and you can find them on -
http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117Buen

Although Luis's maps and info are in Portuguese, it hasn't been a problem for us.

There is also the new (2016) version of John Brierleys Guide and separate Map Book. The maps aren't quite as detailed as Luis's maps but some of the other info in them might be useful for you.

Do you have a starting date from Porto yet?
Anyway - Bom Caminho!
Sheena
As far as I am concerned Brierley 2016 only describes the central Portuguese caminho and not the coastal (except for the first day out of Porto to Vila do Conde as a detour)
That was the reason after ordering the 2014 issue by Amazones to send it back !

Following the coastal you need no maps. Just follow the ocean at your left and the yellow waymarkers.
Between Baiona((Nigrán ) and Vigo you have the choice to follow the yellow ones, going into the hills or the green ones folllowing the flatter coastline route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As far as I am concerned Brierley 2016 only describes the central Portuguese caminho and not the coastal (except for the first day out of Porto to Vila do Conde as a detour)

Following the coastal you need no maps. Just follow the ocean at your left and the yellow waymarkers.
Between Baiona((Nigrán ) and Vigo you have the choice to follow the yellow ones, going into the hills or the green ones folllowing the flatter coastline route.
I received (and read) the new edition of the Brierley guide today and at the end of the book, after the Santiago section, is a very informative set of stages for walking the Coastal Route. As I had read here that there might be difficulties crossing to A Guarda I had planned to turn left at the crossing point and walk to Valenca/Tui, but the new information in the latest Brierley book and the contributions above re the ferry encourage me to try to stick to the coastal route.

Doh! Turning left would require aquatic skills I do not (yet) possess. I meant of course to write 'turn right' inland alongside the estuary.

I received (and read) the new edition of the Brierley guide today and at the end of the book, after the Santiago section, is a very informative set of stages for walking the Coastal Route. As I had read here that there might be difficulties crossing to A Guarda I had planned to turn left at the crossing point and walk to Valenca/Tui, but the new information in the latest Brierley book and the contributions above re the ferry encourage me to try to stick to the coastal route.
Thanks for the information. So Brierley improved. I have to order the 2016 issue now.

If the ferry in Caminha is not sailing-due to the tide-there is allways a fisherman who will be prepared to put you to the other side of the river with his small fishing boat.
As we did May 2015.
the phonenumber of Mario the fisherman is in the first post of this thread aswell is a picture of him in his boat. We crossed with 4 other pilgrims and paid 5€ each.
The boattrip lasted less than 5 minutes.
If you like to walk to and from a Guarda onwards you could turn inland to Vila Nova de Cerveira where is a bridge over the Minho river. This detour from Caminha is about 25 kms so one extra day if you could not reach the fisherman or the ferry did not sail.
I drove this detour by car in 2014 when we camped in Vila Praia de Âncora.

I prefer the crossing of the river at Caminho to a Guarda .Your proposed turn inland to Valença do Minho follows a busy road.

From a Guarda to Santa Maria de Oia and Baiona at times you also follow a less busy road but there is a separate pedestrian path you walk on and you have a nice view at the ocean at your left.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the information. So Brierley improved. I have to order the 2016 issue now.

If the ferry in Caminha is not sailing-due to the tide-there is allways a fisherman who will be prepared to put you to the other side of the river with his small fishing boat.
As we did May 2015.
the phonenumber of Mario the fisherman is in the first pist of this thread aswell is a picture of him in his boat. We crossed with 4 other pilgrims and paid 5€ each.
If you like to walk to and from a Guarda onwards you could turn inland to Vila Nova de Cerveira where is a bridge over the Minho river. This detour from Caminha is about 25 kms so one extra day if you could not reach the fisherman or the ferry did not sail.

I prefer the crossing of the river at Caminho to a Guarda .Your proposed turn inland to Valença do Minho follows a busy road.

From a Guarda to Santa Maria de Oia and Baiona at times you also follow a less busy road but there is a separate pedestrian path you walk on and you have a nice view at the ocean at your left.

Bom caminho
Thank you I can't wait to get started!

As we did May 2015.
the phonenumber of Mario the fisherman is in the first post of this thread aswell is a picture of him in his boat. We crossed with 4 other pilgrims and paid 5€ each.

Bom caminho

Thank you for providing this information @Albertinho this information, you have confirmed that it is best to continue on the coastal route and I feel reassured knowing that there is a bridge to cross the river if there is no ferry on the day I am walking.

Thank you for providing this information @Albertinho this information, you have confirmed that it is best to continue on the coastal route and I feel reassured knowing that there is a bridge to cross the river if there is no ferry on the day I am walking.
But allways keep the fisherman's option in mind. ! Better than making the bridge detour.
When my wife and I walked last May . the ferry just was in service after more than a year due to technical issues and issues between Portugal and Spain about the costs of dredging the sandy mouth of the Minho river.
Just arriving at the outskirts of Caminha we were stopped by a man on a bike who asked if we should cross the river by ferry. Yes ! The ferry does not sail he replied.
But every disadvantage has an advantage(as our famous scoccerstar JohanCruyff used to say :) ) so he directly came with the solution that his friend Mario has a fishingboat and could set us to the other side for 5€ each. He asked us to come to his house, 500 meters further on, recognizable because the yellow waymarkers crossed the street in front of and there were Caminho Scallops and tiles fixed against the outer wall of his house.
Besides that he had a nice stamp for our credentials.
We did not trust it at first site . What if you sit in the fishingboat and at once you see the ferry passing a mike ahead ?. Ha ha suspicious people we are .
We did some research on the internet and indeed the guy was right .no ferry untill sunday next due to the tides. So we phoned Mario the fisherman and 3 quaters later we were continuing our caminho at the other side of the river direction A Guarda.:)
And with a special stamp and a hilarious experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/

On the second sheet of the GoogleDoc "Version and info" you can see the route - it looks quite similar to the one you're planning. There's also a link to the used gps coordinates if you would use them as backup for your trip.

I have the Brierley guide (2016 version, 7th edition) and I can confirm that the coastal route from Porto to Redondela is in there - on pages 198-212ish it has maps and places to eat/sleep

bom caminho
Christian

We stayed three nights in Caminha.
Famous town and loved by the Portuguese , the resistance on the Minho against the Spanish.
Lovely square, lovely beach just prior to town and great food in the market place.
Getting close to Santiago now and a great place to rest.

Not true. It does give details on the Coastal after page 198, edge coloured blue. Sorry... I have not used a Brierly for many years (not walkinf the CF) so happy to see water fountains listed and ❤️s to show albergues not to be missed. Back in the day there were no qualifications of nightmares to land vs gems, nor any clue re. The ever so i,portant H2O.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not true. It does give details on the Coastal after page 198, edge coloured blue. Sorry... I have not used a Brierly for many years (not walkinf the CF) so happy to see water fountains listed and ❤️s to show albergues not to be missed. Back in the day there were no qualifications of nightmares to land vs gems, nor any clue re. The ever so i,portant H2O.
I allready answered here above "Thanks for the information. So Brierley improved. I have to order the 2016 issue now."

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.