• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferry from Caminha to A Guarda

• Thread starter Former member 106854
  • Start date
F

Former member 106854

I will arrive in Caminha ( on the 23rd of May and wonder about the ferry to go across the Minho River. I have read it has not been running since October 2022. Any confirmation of this? Any recommendations on how to deal with that river crossing? Thanks and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is a (private?) company that replaces the official ferry.

I used one of the "fisher"man that cross the river for 5 euros that hang out around the campsite.

the original “Transbordador “ ferry between Caminha and A Guarda stopped being in service since last year September.
there is a watertaxi https://xacobeotransfer.com/pt/home_pt/
And if they do not sail, go to the restaurant of the Marina in Caminha and find the fisherman, I thought his name was Mario.
in some threads on this forum his name and phonenumber was mentionned.
For me it was too long ago that I was set over by him.
Alternative is walk on along the Minho river To Vila Nova de Cerveira where is the international bridge and walk back about 15 kms to A Guarda or walk on for 15 kms to Valença do Minho where you hit the central route to Santiago .
both lead to where you want to go to .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, Klimmo and Albertinho. Very useful tips. The information I had gathered was confusing.

I will arrive in Caminha ( on the 23rd of May and wonder about the ferry to go across the Minho River. I have read it has not been running since October 2022. Any confirmation of this? Any recommendations on how to deal with that river crossing? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I walked the Portuguese Coastal Camino in April this year, and did the section from Vila Praia de Ancora to A Guarda via Caminha on 6 April. I can confirm that the ferry wasn’t running. There’s a cafe/bar at the ferry terminal in Caminha so I went in there and asked what I could do to get across another way. The lady behind the bar told me there was a river taxi service which could take me across and that would cost seven euros, so I bought a ticket from her for that and waited. Almost immediately a regular taxi then turned up, which I got in with three other waiting pilgrims who had paid for the service, and the driver took us about five minutes’ drive away to a waiting fishing boat. We got in that and were motored swiftly across to a beach on the Spanish side, where I got out, walked up to the boardwalk, and then followed that along the coast to A Guarda. The guy with the boat even had his own stamp for the credencial, so that was a nice touch.

Last edited:
I walked the Portuguese Coastal Camino in April this year, and did the section from Vila Praia de Ancora to A Guarda via Caminha on 6 April. I can confirm that the ferry wasn’t running. There’s a cafe/bar at the ferry terminal in Caminha so I went in there and asked what I could do to get across another way. The lady behind the bar told me there was a river taxi service which could take me across and that would cost seven euros, so I bought a ticket from her for that and waited. Almost immediately a regular taxi then turned up, which I got in with three other waiting pilgrims who had paid for the service, and the driver took us about five minutes’ drive away to a waiting fishing boat. We got in that and we’re motored swiftly across to a beach on the Spanish side, where I got out, walked up to the boardwalk, and then followed that along the coast to A Guarda. The guy with the boat even had his own stamp for the credencial, so that was a nice touch.
I read on the facebook page of the original Transbordador owner that he was fed up with the officials and left the area with his ferryboat in september 2022.
The watertaxi saw the opportunities and since then they operate the ferryservice.

Since the first time I crossed the river in 2014 there always was something.
The engine of the transbordador was broken and was out of service for over a year.Then the river was too shallow and the transbordador could not sail in 2015 so we used the service of the fisherman.
The only time I have seen the transbordador sailing was in May 2019 when we had a stop at the quay of the ferry . However we did not cross the river but walk the ecopista to Valença to get on the central route to Santiago

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I read on the facebook page of the original Transbordador owner that he was fed up with the officials and left the area with his ferryboat in september 2022.
The watertaxi saw the opportunities and since then they operate the ferryservice.

Since the first time I crossed the river in 2014 there always was something.
The engine of the transbordador was broken and was out of service for over a year.Then the river was too shallow and the transbordador could not sail in 2015 so we used the service of the fisherman.
The only time I have seen the transbordador sailing was in May 2019 when we had a stop at the quay of the ferry . However we did not cross the river but waljed the e opista to Valença to get on the central route to Santiago
It will be interesting to see what happens as the Portuguese Coastal Route gets more and more popular. I was able to get across quickly using the current river taxi service but if the number of pilgrims grows significantly one wonders whether that will be enough to service them getting across the river. You can imagine the situation eventually developing where there will be large numbers of people sitting at the terminal waiting around for taxis. As it was I felt fortunate I got to the terminal when only four or five other people were waiting to get across. The local authorities will probably have to look at finding a way to reinstate the former ferry service at some point as a way to manage the number of pilgrims trying to get across the Minho.

I crossed the river on the 22nd of April on a small boat, it only takes five people and you get your ticket for 6 euro in the bar then wait till they come to take you onto the beach, it can be a little difficult getting in the boat from an upturned bucket

It will be interesting to see what happens as the Portuguese Coastal Route gets more and more popular. I was able to get across quickly using the current river taxi service but if the number of pilgrims grows significantly one wonders whether that will be enough to service them getting across the river. You can imagine the situation eventually developing where there will be large numbers of people sitting at the terminal waiting around for taxis. As it was I felt fortunate I got to the terminal when only four or five other people were waiting to get across. The local authorities will probably have to look at finding a way to reinstate the former ferry service at some point as a way to manage the number of pilgrims trying to get across the Minho.
every problem brings new profit opportunities for the locals.
and they who will pick it up by then will see the crowds as walking bags of money and they want to have that money . That’s the first commercial rule.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are walking from Ancora to Caminha tomorrow, May 6th and keeping fingers crossed everything goes smoothly to get to A Guarda. Appreciate the above information to help guide us.

Rick

Hi Rick. As you approach Caminha the trail splits. You can go under a tunnel which takes you into Caminha and the ferry or carry on along the coast. If you carry on along the coast at the estuary there are two cafes next to each other. When you get there phone this guy. He will drive down and take you across. He likes to have 3 or 4 people and charges about 5 euros per person. He was recommended to me by the hosptialera in the alberque in Viana do Castelo when i found out that the ferry was not running. He literally puts out on the beach and goes back. Buen Camino Vince

Attachments

• 1555434860240.jpg
    1555434860240.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 13
Thank you Vince. I’ve gone ahead and reserved a couple of spots using the water taxi website mentioned earlier. I very much appreciate the directions you mentioned to the ferry. Super helpful!

Rick

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We are walking from Ancora to Caminha tomorrow, May 6th and keeping fingers crossed everything goes smoothly to get to A Guarda. Appreciate the above information to help guide us.

Rick
I did it last week and it was absolutely no problem. Private boat. Young guy saw me coming pointed me in direction of ticket office. 6 euros and we set off immediately as there were 6 pilgrims ready to cross. Couldn't have been easier

If for some reason the water taxi is full, or not available, Mario the Fistherman's number is (+351) 96-341-6259. Several years ago, Mario charged us 5 Euros each for the crossing. He speaks a little bit of English, but not not much.

There is the tourist office on the main plaza that was very helpful, if you want to validate the number is correct, or to see if he is still doing it, since the new water taxi seems more than adequate now.

the original “Transbordador “ ferry between Caminha and A Guarda stopped being in service since last year September.
there is a watertaxi https://xacobeotransfer.com/pt/home_pt/
And if they do not sail, go to the restaurant of the Marina in Caminha and find the fisherman, I thought his name was Mario.
in some threads on this forum his name and phonenumber was mentionned.
For me it was too long ago that I was set over by him.
Alternative is walk on along the Minho river To Vila Nova de Cerveira where is the international bridge and walk back about 15 kms to A Guarda or walk on for 15 kms to Valença do Minho where you hit the central route to Santiago .
both lead to where you want to go to .
Hi I took the boat 2 days ago. Booked via app. They confirmed via whatsapp and were very helpful. It crossed on time. The whole procedure ran very smoothly. No need to lose sleep on this😀

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked from Ancora to Caminha today. As we entered the harbor area, we mistakenly continued to follow the yellow arrows which took us by the water taxis on the west end. We then realized using the meeting location provided by Xacobeo Transfer that we were about 1.6 miles off course. Doubled back towards the east to find the correct location. Had made a reservation and called the skipper as instructed. Picked us up within 10 minutes and off we went to A Guarda. Didn’t see any other pilgrims using this service. It all worked out in the end.

I walked the Portuguese Coastal Camino in April this year, and did the section from Vila Praia de Ancora to A Guarda via Caminha on 6 April. I can confirm that the ferry wasn’t running. There’s a cafe/bar at the ferry terminal in Caminha so I went in there and asked what I could do to get across another way. The lady behind the bar told me there was a river taxi service which could take me across and that would cost seven euros, so I bought a ticket from her for that and waited. Almost immediately a regular taxi then turned up, which I got in with three other waiting pilgrims who had paid for the service, and the driver took us about five minutes’ drive away to a waiting fishing boat. We got in that and were motored swiftly across to a beach on the Spanish side, where I got out, walked up to the boardwalk, and then followed that along the coast to A Guarda. The guy with the boat even had his own stamp for the credencial, so that was a nice touch.
Adhemar78...thanks for this info. My wife and I will be walking the CP next August, and I was just researching how to cross from Caminha to A Guarda. I noticed from Google that a ferry operates for the crossing, but not on a Monday (of course...we'll be needing a Monday crossing). Reading this set of posts it seems the Google information might be outdated (with the 'established' ferry no longer operating). Hence, your post on securing a 'private' ferry is most valuable. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back