• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fife Coastal Path

PhxRiles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Leon to Santiago) 2019
I'm interested in walking the Fife Coastal Path in April 2023 from North Queensferry to St. Andrews. Not a particularly long hike (+/- 100km or 60 miles). From what I can tell, it's mostly along the beach. A few questions.
1) Weather? I've heard highs are in the 50s (F) and lows into the 30s (F). I'd guess rain gear is a must, along with thermals. Anything quick-drying would probably be recommended.
2) Midgies? I've seen on other threads they can be nasty. Maybe that's more in summer. Insect repellent?
3) Must-see places. You can probably guess why I've chosen St. Andrews as the end of my pilgrimage. :) And there's plenty of courses along the way. There's also several castles (Ravenscraig, MacDuff), Caiplie Caves, Fife Ness Lighthouse. And I think it's Anstruther Fish Bar that's supposed to have really good fish and chips.
4) B&B's. Any suggestions for places to stay?
5) Traffic. I'm guessing the Path would have less foot traffic in April.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thermals? In Scotland? Even on the East Coast? Natives used coats to stay warm in my day...
I have no serious suggestions beyond this: enjoy your golf, even if you are trying to camouflage it with a pilgrimage label!
ps. As for midgies. They are almost as important as haggis as national animals.

@PhxRiles, Hi there, I live not too far from the fife coastal path and April can sometimes be lovely and warm and also there can be heavy rain showers so definitely carry wet weather gear with you just like anywhere in the world nowadays you never know what can happen with the weather. You won't be worried by midges at all in April these little biting beasties usually appear in the summer months with not so many on the east coast but there are trillions of them on the west coast and highlands of Scotland. You will pass through some beautiful little fishing villages on the east neuk of fife as its called, Crail, Pittenweem and Anstruther to name a few all quaint little places with some fantastic local produce in the lovely restaurants, not to forget the famous Anstruther fish and chip shop

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to add, it's not a busy trail, some people cycle the route and I think you could use booking.com for accommodation purposes, i see you've already heard about the famous chippy!! Enjoy it when the time comes

@PhxRiles, Hi there, I live not too far from the fife coastal path and April can sometimes be lovely and warm and also there can be heavy rain showers so definitely carry wet weather gear with you just like anywhere in the world nowadays you never know what can happen with the weather. You won't be worried by midges at all in April these little biting beasties usually appear in the summer months with not so many on the east coast but there are trillions of them on the west coast and highlands of Scotland. You will pass through some beautiful little fishing villages on the east neuk of fife as its called, Crail, Pittenweem and Anstruther to name a few all quaint little places with some fantastic local produce in the lovely restaurants, not to forget the famous Anstruther fish and chip shop
@Ali@59, thanks for the info! Just like the Camino...be prepared for any weather. Looking forward to it and hopefully meeting a few new friends along the way!

I walked the full Fife Coastal Path in June 2019. Kincardine to Newburgh. It was a great and very enjoyable walk. Not much of it is actually on the beach. 1. Temps will never get as low as the 30’s, 45-55 average but can be hotter if sun is shining. 2. No midgies on the east coast. 5. I was surprised how quite it was.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I live across the Tay in Angus and can see Fife. I walked the whole path from Kincardine to Newburgh a few years ago but did not not need accommodation as my friend's husband dropped us off and picked us up at the end of every stage. As others have said - it is not difficult. Weather could be fantastic or horribly wet and windy. No midges. Your problem will be accommodation avoiding the need to walk off the path etc. The path will not be busy but everwhere gets booked up with other tourists and golfers. Have a look on Booking.com and book early. Otherwise buy a package from a company like Contours or Mac's Adventures. It takes the anxiety out of the search for somewhere to stay. Sands a Place by the Sea on the beach at Aberdour is a lovely café. Harbourmaster's Cafe at Dysart is good. Both those are directly on the path. In most other places you will have to go into town to get food. St Andrews Links Clubhouse on the West Sands in St Andrews is fabulous. ( open to the public). Pittenweem and Crail are gorgeous so allow time to explore. Have a fabulous time!

Hi. I just finished the FCP in January, having done it mostly in two day stages. You won’t be walking much on beaches- though there are beaches to walk on- the stretch from Leven to Largo is memorable in that respect.
Temperature wise, I talk Celsius, so expect 10 to 15, cooler at nights.
Accommodation: it does get booked up (and bid up). We used a plan B of falling back to Kirkcaldy and Leven, using the frequent bus service along the coast. The Greene King chain hotel in Leven is relatively cheap, basic, but acceptable. You can also stay in Dundee and bus to the Tay coastal sections.
Generally: the stretch north of St Andrews is pretty dull, but the final stretch is surprisingly interesting. There’s not a lot of transport options back from the end point though- pre plan this!

Enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

Today I arrived in one of my favourite cities in Italy, Palermo, ready to start a solo walk across Sicily on the Magna Via Francigena tomorrow! It’s a ~185km trail from Palermo to Agrigento that I...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back