• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thames Path advice

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Walking the Thames Path from Reading to London next weekend. Any advice from someone who has walked it before?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve walked it in sections from Maidenhead to Woolwich over the years. It’s easy walking. Some sections you have switch between banks(north/south), closer to London you have a choice which to walk. In most cases I’d pick the south bank. Usually in summer there’s extra places to get drinks and snacks along the way, like vans in parks etc. This is less likely in winter but there are enough villages and towns that you could easily pick up coffees along the way.
It will be boggy in places if it’s been raining. Esp Mortlake but that’s easily walked around if the river’s come up high over the path. It’s a great walk any time of year though. I love the river.

Walking the Thames Path from Reading to London next weekend. Any advice from someone who has walked it before?
Of absolutely no help with what you are planning, but the last time I visited the Cotswolds, I took the time on one of my walks there to find the source of the Thames. It is a relatively uninspiring little rocky depression in some farmer's field. At the time, there was no water flow, only a sign to identify what it was.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have walked the Henley on Thames to Windsor section many times (as I lived in the area) and what a beautiful walk it is. Such great scenery, history, restaurants and pubs. Are you staying in different accommodation every night. The area is great for trains if you need a base and then get train to and from different start points.

@LdnWalker Has pretty much covered my thoughts

just a couple of small points as a former west Londoner -
If, by the time you get to Hampton Court you feel like a change from the towpath you can walk across Home Park and cut a little off the bend. It's a lovely heathy park, with great views back to the palace. But note that it is only open until 4pm at this time of year. https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court-palace/whats-on/home-park-and-the-long-water/#gs.qncy0p
And just a warning that the closer you get into London the more you'll need to be aware of cyclists on the towpath - some will be on an apparently suicidal speed mission. Generally, if you are with someone, it's often not a good idea to walk two-abreast unless there's plenty of room for bikes to whizz by.

I walked from Hampton Court Palace to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich. Most of it was very very enjoyable. We had a walk through the City of London on a Sunday which was excellent as it was largely deserted.
However, from the Tower of London onwards we did find it difficult to stay close to the river, particularly through the Docklands area. In retrospect it would have been better to take a water barge.
If you push on to the Thames barrier then I can recommend taking a ride back on the Docklands Light Railway. Very scenic.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A great walk and well worth doing. You will get to see the river in so many different phases. Pubs along the way great to eat at and as one person has already commented more places to get snacks open in later spring and summer than thius time but you will not starve. Flat walking and so much to see. Enjoy.

Walked the Thames from the source at Kemble, it was dry, to the Thames Barrier last Sept/Oct. 20 days, with a day off in Oxford and another day off in Henley.

Hardly anyone else on the path until London. Interesting, but not comparable to the Camino. We met one fellow along the way that was doing a longer walk, but not the whole distance. Most of those we met were locals out for a 1/2 day walk.

Absolutely a different experience than any of my 4 Caminos.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It sounds like a great walk, with lots of history. We departed from the Route de Arles to walk the Canal du Midi because my spouse is obsessed with canals and locks.
I walked the Great Glen Way and really enjoyed walking the canal, you can free camp at some of the locks and eventually you end up at Loch Ness and Inverness. Sometimes people are down on that route compared to the close by West Highland Way but watching the boats and kayaks in the canals, locks and lochs was part of the fun.

Of absolutely no help with what you are planning, but the last time I visited the Cotswolds, I took the time on one of my walks there to find the source of the Thames. It is a relatively uninspiring little rocky depression in some farmer's field. At the time, there was no water flow, only a sign to identify what it was.
Funny, because if I had more time I wanted to do that too!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked Reading to Maidenhead today. Followed the Thames Path but continued on the south side of the river when it crosses north and wanders off on a long detour 😎. My time is limited so I walked across the bight more or less in a straight line to rewatch the Thames here. Got a Travelodge for 43£, a steal compared to rates in nearby London but still a far cry from albergue life. Met a few local walkers but no one else through-walking it

The
Walked Reading to Maidenhead today. Followed the Thames Path but continued on the south side of the river when it crosses north and wanders off on a long detour 😎. My time is limited so I walked across the bight more or less in a straight line to rewatch the Thames here. Got a Travelodge for 43£, a steal compared to rates in nearby London but still a far cry from albergue life. Met a few local walkers but no one else through-walking it
The Travelodge opposite the station in Maidenhead?

Thames Path from Reading to London next weekend. Any advice from someone who has walked it before?

Copy cat:
Having invalided my self of my journey to Compostela in mid May I did several day trips based on Ashford for a while as a form of recuperation and recovery. Part of the interest in those days was the bus ride to a start point and finding a bus ride back.

Then I walked four days to Oxford with the third day taking a northern route through three villages rather than a very long boring trip through paddocks and kissing gates and saying hi to bovine and ovine animals who thought I (and others) were their simply to enliven their day.

From Oxford I had two days around to Goring with the third through Reading and up to Shiplake.

The fourth day I continued to Henley and then, as you, cut across to Maidenhead for lunch and carried on to Windsor. It was early July and very warm. Approaching Windsor a police car stopped and asked if I was OK - they had reports a drunk was careering along.

In fits and starts I had earlier walked Windsor to Twickenham (as noted above).

I then applied my self to walk to Tower Bridge on the south side (right bank) and took a few days rest.

I then re-started at Woolwich and walked to Isle of Dogs on the south side - again a very hot day.
Final leg was on a hot Sunday in late July - on the north side (left bank) to Tower Bridge.

So much for the memories.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Vacajoe, as you cross the River at Maidenhead and head south on the left bank, please take in the rail bridge - amazing civil engineering.

As you approach the Magna Carta area keep an eye out for the, for me, magnificent statue honouring QEII.

At times the path alternates between left and right banks to give the best experience of path.

From Hampton Court you are well and truly in a built up area and from Richmond, best to stay of the right bank until Tower Bridge at least.

You may car to look out for the small obelisk marking the high tide reach and so the boundary between Port of London rules and local authority bylaws. Also the Richmond lock weir, with foot traffic, not far away. A bit early in the season I suspect, but many sleep out just off the path and almost as many more having their favourite fishing spots below Richmond.

There is a lack of clarity at times for the path between Putney and Lambeth.

I had family to adjourn to in London from time to time. But I was amazed at that time (June to July 2016) the variety of hostels in central London either side of the River.

Just for the experience you may car to walk the two under river tunnels at Greenwich (near Cutty Sark) and Woolwich (on the land side of Woolwich Pier).

Love to read any more short journals you write.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

The

The Travelodge opposite the station in Maidenhead?
Yes! 43£ for a Saturday night when the home team of the football club had a match - after London stays, that was an incredible bargain!

@Vacajoe, as you cross the River at Maidenhead and head south on the left bank, please take in the rail bridge - amazing civil engineering.

As you approach the Magna Carta area keep an eye out for the, for me, magnificent statue honouring QEII.

At times the path alternates between left and right banks to give the best experience of path.

From Hampton Court you are well and truly in a built up area and from Richmond, best to stay of the right bank until Tower Bridge at least.

You may car to look out for the small obelisk marking the high tide reach and so the boundary between Port of London rules and local authority bylaws. Also the Richmond lock weir, with foot traffic, not far away. A bit early in the season I suspect, but many sleep out just off the path and almost as many more having their favourite fishing spots below Richmond.

There is a lack of clarity at times for the path between Putney and Lambeth.

I had family to adjourn to in London from time to time. But I was amazed at that time (June to July 2016) the variety of hostels in central London either side of the River.

Just for the experience you may car to walk the two under river tunnels at Greenwich (near Cutty Sark) and Woolwich (on the land side of Woolwich Pier).

Love to read any more short journals you write.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)
So much good advice, thank you! No car now, but perhaps next time. I’ve walked Roehampton to London previously, so this walkabout ends prematurely as I have a task awaiting me Monday evening. Currently in Windsor grabbing a pint and Sunday roast…life is good!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also I should mention that in September I walked from Portsmouth to Southhampton to Reading (Camino St James) so this will complete a Portsmouth to London journey! No compestela, but my heart will be full of the lovely English countryside and people.

Yes! 43£ for a Saturday night when the home team of the football club had a match - after London stays, that was an incredible bargain!
Yes it was a big game (5th division of English football) but against a team that used to be very big (Wrexham) but have fallen on hard times but are bizarrely owned by a couple of Hollywood stars and are never out of the paper, and resurgent.

The ground itself is the oldest continually used football ground by the same team in the whole world as Maidenhead has been playing there since 1871!

I walked from Portsmouth to Southhampton to Reading (Camino St James)
This route is on my list after I have completed the Kennet and Avon (Bristol to Reading)

While not a Compostela on arrival at Southampton, I understand the English S James' Way can be included in a pilgrimage from A Coruna to Santiago.

Kia kaha.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The CSJ is a lovely route and has some pilgrim support in the way of pub discounts, credential stamps, and a guidebook. The priest at the Reading Cathedral was very kind and gave us a special pilgrim’s blessing.

This route is on my list after I have completed the Kennet and Avon (Bristol to Reading)

While not a Compostela on arrival at Southampton, I understand the English S James' Way can be included in a pilgrimage from A Coruna to Santiago.

Kia kaha.

I'm currently walking the Kennet and Avon in the other direction. I have 2 days worth of walking left to do, Bradford-on Avon to Bristol. The canal from near Theale to the centre of Reading is also part of the St. James Way.

Yes the St. James Way is a recognised Camino route and distance walked on it can be included in total distance on a pilgrimage continuing in A Coruna. The Confraternity of St. James have stamps (sellos) available in pubs and churches along the way and a certificate of completion for the walk is available. I hope to attempt it later this year.

Binky

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back