• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Final stages planning Camino

Thommy T

Time of past OR future Camino
My dream is to walk the Camino this summer
Hello everyone,

My name is Thommy and I am a 20 year old student from The Netherlands. 2 Months ago I heard of the Camino and became really fascinated, so I took an extra job and saved up the money to walk the Camino this July. I already bought the gear only I have one issue left, my planning is as following:

30th July > arriving at Sint Jean Pied De Port
1 July > start walking the Camino de Santiago
31th July > arriving in Santiago de Compostela
1-3 August > Staying in Santiago
4th > Flight home.

So effectively I will have 31 days to walk the Camino.
I excercise 2-3 times a week (mainly squash and sometimes fitness) and got a healthy weight. The thing is I am not an experienced walker and have never walked long distances.
I really need to stick to these dates because I have to be back in the Netherlands on the 4th. Will I make this?

Thanks in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Tommy, what time do you expect to be in SJPP, if you are there early and get your first sello at the pilgrim office then you could walk to Orrison or Valcarlos, this would give you a bit of a head start, also if you were to cut the number of days in Santiago and barring injuries you should be ok time wise. I walked in 2012 and it took 34 days including two rest days.
Hope you have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
Edit: Most important, make sure you have your boots well broken in and keep your pack weight as low as possible but still carry the essentials.

Last edited:
Hi there - I like the Orrison/Valcarlos tip. You are young and fit and seem to have a good schedule - and you have those extra days in Santiago to act as 'spares'.

Don't be frantic, walk relaxed, be relaxed - the kms will pass, all will be well.

Buen Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
.......So effectively I will have 31 days to walk the Camino.
I excercise 2-3 times a week (mainly squash and sometimes fitness) and got a healthy weight. The thing is I am not an experienced walker and have never walked long distances.
I really need to stick to these dates because I have to be back in the Netherlands on the 4th. Will I make this?

Hi Thommy
let me first encourage you: you are young and fit, you will make it, no problem. (I did Pamplona to SdC in 30 days with 2 rest-days....at 70 Y). HOWEVER: To race the Camino would be wasting one of the most formative experience you'll ever have in your entire live. Measure your Camino not by the number of fellow Peregrinos you are overtaking, but by the times you walk and talk with them. The freedom of walking 30 or more km on one day and to leisurely hang around with new friends on the next; to disregard time to explore and to get awed on a third, all this is part of the real Camino.
Therefore my advise: Follow your plan but don't force it: Enjoy and take every day as it comes. If your plan works out, fine. If your allotted time is up before you reach SdC, what does it matter? You'll come again (and again) to finish whatever you left out. Let the month you are investing in become an enrichment. No need to prove anything to anybody, yourself included. Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Thommy
let me first encourage you: you are young and fit, you will make it, no problem. (I did Pamplona to SdC in 30 days with 2 rest-days....at 70 Y). HOWEVER: To race the Camino is wasting one of the most formative experience you'll ever have in your entire live. Measure your Camino not by the number of fellow Peregrinos you are overtaking, but by the times you walk and talk with them. The freedom of walking 30 or more km on one day and to leisurely hang around with new friends on the next; to disregard time to explore and to get awed on a third, all this is part of the real Camino.
Therefore my advise: Follow your plan but don't force it: Enjoy and take every day as it comes. If your plan works out, fine. If your allotted time is up before you reach SdC, what does it matter? You'll come again (and again) to finish whatever you left out. Let the month you are investing in become an enrichment. No need to prove anything to anybody, including to yourself. Buen Camino.

Perfect. Absolutely Perfect.

Thanks you all very much for the responses!
Than I have 1 more question left, what way do you recommend from the Netherlands to SJPP? (Cheapest)
I see the opinions differ very much about this subject

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks you all very much for the responses!
Than I have 1 more question left, what way do you recommend from the Netherlands to SJPP? (Cheapest)
I see the opinions differ very much about this subject

Thommy:

First, thirty-one days will be more than enough time. Do not rush your start. Start slowly and let your body adjust. There will be plenty of opportunity to walk longer days on the Meseta when your body has adapted to walking more than a half marathon a day and carrying a 10kg pack.

As far as port of entry, with cost in mind, that can be best determined by you. I find Madrid the best entry and exit point for me because it is easier to return to after my Camino. I looked on kayak and you can fly an open jaw ticket from Amsterdam (AMS) to (BIQ) Biarritz and Santiago (SCQ) to (AMS) for $448. SAS/IBERIA. You could also fly KLM round trip non-stop to Madrid for $299. but that does not include cost to get to and from Madrid.

Buen Camino,
Joe

Last edited:
There is a night-train leaving Amsterdam CS at 17:18, arriving SJPdP 12:25, via Paris>Bayonne, which might be cheapest as you qualify for various (youth-) discounts.
Or:
Check out http://boeking.cheaptickets.nl
• Brussels > Madrid Ryanair €77.14 (alternatively Rotterdam > Madrid) From there, take a train to Pamplona, stay at the Hostal Corazón Puro in between Pamplona and Roncesvalles. They will not only pick you up in Pamplona but also taxi you to SJPdP. Leave your heavy stuff there for your return and enjoy the Pyrenees with minimal pack-weight.

• SdC > Amsterdam Iberia €117.30 (alternatively Vueling via Barcelona)

PS to jpflavin1 "Open jaw" tickets are no longer economic on airlines such as Vueling, Iberia, Ryan, etc., much cheaper to fly one-way sections as needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back