• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally Camino Francés again! :)

Jan_89

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés: July/August 2014

Camino Francés: May/June 2017
Hola Peregrinos!

After two years I'm planning next Camino! :) The same one - Camino Francés - from SJPdP to Finisterre and Muxia. I would like to start in the middle of May 2017. I'm so excited! I'm thinking about it since I've came back home from the Camino 2014! Every single day!

Last time I've walked in July/August. Now I want to go in May/June. I would like to ask how busy is it in this time or the weather or some changes around albergues..
Anything what should I know or some good advices from you..?

Happy New Year 2017 to all and Buen Camino through life! ;)

Jan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Jan. I walked the CF starting Mid May to June 2016 and it was busy. Not to busy to have to book a bed in advance. The weather went from cold and very wet to very warm. Enjoy and Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the answers @falcon269 and @Lua ! ;)
That was what I thought. It relates to my next question.. What about the clothes in this weather? Because I need my backpack very light as you know. I hope the cold weather will be only at the mornings..

Thanks for the answers @falcon269 and @Lua ! ;)
That was what I thought. It relates to my next question.. What about the clothes in this weather? Because I need my backpack very light as you know. I hope the cold weather will be only at the mornings..
Hi Jan.

What I had with me was a waterproof cover for the backpack and light waterproof top. One long sleeve top and (2) light walking trousers, zip of legs. They dry fast.(1) Shorts and (3) tee shirts. Sheet bag at night in albergue. We had some days cold and wet all day. No need for heavy warm clothes. Put layers on if need be. We also had snow at O' Cebreiro. Enjoy.

Hola Peregrinos!

After two years I'm planning next Camino! :) The same one - Camino Francés - from SJPdP to Finisterre and Muxia. I would like to start in the middle of May 2017. I'm so excited! I'm thinking about it since I've came back home from the Camino 2014! Every single day!

Last time I've walked in July/August. Now I want to go in May/June. I would like to ask how busy is it in this time or the weather or some changes around albergues..
Anything what should I know or some good advices from you..?

Happy New Year 2017 to all and Buen Camino through life! ;)

Jan

I walked Camino France's 9 times. Plenty of accommodation. You will be surprised how much it changed in 3 years but you will love it. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi! My daughter and I are walking the CF , for the first time, starting the day before you from SJPDP. I am also trying to figure out what layers to wear. Sounds like the weather could be chilly to quite warm. I have put the weather forecasts on my phone so hopefully before I leave I can do a quick rethink on if I need an extra layer. I am taking pretty much what Lua suggested but thinking 2 long sleeve Merino wool zip tops. Is this overkill?
Buen Camino.

Hi! My daughter and I are walking the CF , for the first time, starting the day before you from SJPDP. I am also trying to figure out what layers to wear. Sounds like the weather could be chilly to quite warm. I have put the weather forecasts on my phone so hopefully before I leave I can do a quick rethink on if I need an extra layer. I am taking pretty much what Lua suggested but thinking 2 long sleeve Merino wool zip tops. Is this overkill?
Buen Camino.
Hello!

Well, I hope the weather will be nice in May.. We will walk about 3 days over the mountains. I'm pretty hot-blooded, so I will not take a lot of warm clothes. I wanna have a very light backpack. I will take only functional long-sleeved shirt and sweatshirt.

Happy planning and who knows maybe we meet on the way! :)

Hi! We fly out from Canada two months from today! Can hardly wait! Started training with the pack. Trying to keep it between 10 and 14 pounds. Walked a couple of 20 K back to backs which were no problem. New hiking shoes are working well. Watching the weather and will probably take less clothing layers. All of my shirts are merino wool, just different weights. We have booked Orisson and will take 2 days to get to Roncesvalles. Slowly learning Spanish with duolingo! Starting to weigh all items that will be packed. Must remember to leave room for a corkscrew which hopefully we can pick up in SJPDP! ( we are doing carry on with our packs on all flights)
Buen Camino! We may meet along the way! Happy planning to you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi! We fly out from Canada two months from today! Can hardly wait! Started training with the pack. Trying to keep it between 10 and 14 pounds. Walked a couple of 20 K back to backs which were no problem. New hiking shoes are working well. Watching the weather and will probably take less clothing layers. All of my shirts are merino wool, just different weights. We have booked Orisson and will take 2 days to get to Roncesvalles. Slowly learning Spanish with duolingo! Starting to weigh all items that will be packed. Must remember to leave room for a corkscrew which hopefully we can pick up in SJPDP! ( we are doing carry on with our packs on all flights)
Enjoy your journey and Buen Camino.

Hi I've walked the camino in both periods. My first camino Frances was Juli-August the second May-June.
Both were great in their own way of course.
But comparing practical differences I would say it was a lot nicer walking in May because of the temperature.
On the juli one I averaged about 22 km and had to do a siesta to recover from walking in the heat :) but in may I seemed to do longer walks with less exhaustion, averaging 27 km and not taking siesta's.
To me it seemed equally crowded than in Juli but I never had any problems finding a bed on both occasions. Maybe a bit more rainy in may.
All in all I didn't find it very cold in may. I was always comfortable in my light sleeping bag and only having a light pullover vest to keep warm in the evening.

Anyway

Ultreia!

Hi! When walking in May how many layers did you wear? Will a t-shirt do on sunny days and a second long sleeve shirt and light rain jacket do for rainy days?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi! When walking in May how many layers did you wear? Will a t-shirt do on sunny days and a second long sleeve shirt and light rain jacket do for rainy days?
Hi. When I walked it in May/June 2015, the weather was so different and I just used shorts and t-shirts. Last year, 2016 the weather was so different, but on sunny days, just used light t-shirt and shorts and light hat for the sun and on the cold wet, and snow used light walking trousers, t-shirt and long sleeved top and poncho. While walking you will be worn, so You don't need to many layers. Enjoy.

Thanks for the information. I think I'll leave my 1 long sleeve merino sweater at home and carry 2 t's, 1 lightweight long sleeve top, I full zip long sleeve and my lightweight rain jacket. I have a rain cover for my pack and taking 1 extra zip off pants that dry quickly. Should I take rain pants for higher elevations? If it's raining and 15 degrees I should be ok but what if it's 0 and freezing rain?suggestions? Do I need lightweight gloves? Ahhh the weather can be so unpredictable! It makes it tough to pack when one must carry it all without the help of a camel! I will take a sun hat! Thanks Lua

Hello there!

Still two months, but I already started to pack.. :D I'm so excited! Guess you know that feeling! I wish you happy preparing and who knows maybe we will meet on the Way!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the information. I think I'll leave my 1 long sleeve merino sweater at home and carry 2 t's, 1 lightweight long sleeve top, I full zip long sleeve and my lightweight rain jacket. I have a rain cover for my pack and taking 1 extra zip off pants that dry quickly. Should I take rain pants for higher elevations? If it's raining and 15 degrees I should be ok but what if it's 0 and freezing rain?suggestions? Do I need lightweight gloves? Ahhh the weather can be so unpredictable! It makes it tough to pack when one must carry it all without the help of a camel! I will take a sun hat! Thanks Lua
I will not take warm clothes on the Camino, just 1 or 2 light t-shirts long sleeve and 1 light pants, also softshell jacket and poncho, that's enough I think.

Hi!
I will leave my knit gloves and buff back in Canada! I will be walking this weekend with almost my full pack for 6 hours both Saturday and Sunday. The weather in Vancouver is around 6 degrees and raining. I should get a good idea how my shoes and rain gear will work out and how my layering system is! Less then 2 months away! I almost bought a poncho but I have hiked all my life and never wore one so my daughter asked me why I would start now?? Jan I am following your lead and packing pretty much what you are.
The good thing is the Spanish economy could always use my business if I have forgotten anything!:cool:
Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.