• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally committed & commencing from SJDPP Aug 10

Charlie11

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016) SJPDP to SDC
Camino Frances (2018) SJPDP to SDC
Future CP 2019
Hello, firstly thanks to this terrific site and all the wonderful, caring people who offer so much help. I've been lurking here for sometime with many questions and doubts which are answered and calmed here (dodgy knees are more common than I thought). I bought a pair of hiking boots yesterday, just enough time to wear in and now I'm committed, happy, nervous and going.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the Forum.

In my opinion most of the Camino is about taking care of your feet. If they are in good shape, the rest of you will follow. Trekking poles help the knees and also help keep one's balance. I would not walk the Camino without them. But I am one of the older guys. There are young folks walking 40-50km a day, carrying heavier packs and all without poles. So I guess it is what works best for you. But starting with a pair of boots that are broken in, fitted to allow your feet to swell at least a half size larger, will take you a long way.

Buen Camino

P.S. Stay hydrated

Thanks Dennis after mulling over poles or not (was leaning towards just a stick) have now decided poles as I'm one of the older ones too. Much appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yep @Charlie11 I'm in the two trekking sticks brigade. Me and my knees and eyes and ankles could not do a camino without them. Have fun!

You'll find that as well as your boots your poles will become your best friends as well. I couldn't have completed the journey without lefty and righty. I know naming them is a bit lame.

Thanks Kanga like your posts. I now have my poles and Waka I can relate already to what you're saying .... Thank you all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A tip I found useful when first using my trekking sticks - let them dangle behind and swing your arms as normal. Gradually apply some downward pressure on the poles (through the straps - see YouTube to learn how to hold them properly). If it feels wrong, just drop back into the straps and let them dangle again. After a bit you will find a rhythm.

There are almost as many Forum threads on trekking poles as there are on blisters! There are two common rhythms, one pole plant per step and one pole plant for each 1 1/2 steps (a three-legged Tchaikovsky waltz?). For joint stress reduction, I prefer the 1:1. For balance, either works very well. Pacer Poles are fitted with left hand and right hand grips, so there is no need to name them. ;) For the new Army recruits, the right one has an orange strap, like putting a "R"ock in the "R"ight hand to remember left and right...

There actually are two other rhythms -- strapped to one's backpack, or waving them in the air like Joost in "The Way.":)

Have fun, and buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
HI Dennis, It looks like you are starting today (or maybe arriving in SJPP today). In any case, I am also. So, I expect that I'll see you in the next few days. On the trekking pole subject, I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail. I finally "gave in" and bought poles about half way through. Made a huge difference. Now I use them whenever I remember them. See you soon. Loren

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
HI Dennis, It looks like you are starting today (or maybe arriving in SJPP today). In any case, I am also. So, I expect that I'll see you in the next few days. On the trekking pole subject, I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail. I finally "gave in" and bought poles about half way through. Made a huge difference. Now I use them whenever I remember them. See you soon. Loren

I wish that I was starting again today. I had all my gear ready to go again within 72 hours after I came home at the end of May. But, Alas I won't be back until Mid-April 2017.

Happy to hear that you have trekking poles. Your knees will remind you when to use them.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.