• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally...I'll go

roadscholar

Years ago I got intrigued by walking the Camino to Santiago. Instead I went to the States and walked through several states. Over the years I found out how incredibly soothing and insightful walking can be, putting one step in front of the other, so simple and yet so powerful.

I just moved from Canada back to Holland where I got the idea to walk through the Ardennes all the way down the North Camino or coast to Santiago. At the moment I am a complete novice and have to get updated on information.

Aside from the camaraderie, are there sometimes problems and what kind of problems? I am walking by myself, a 58-year-old woman, and wonder what I can expect? As I prefer not to plan ahead to keep an element of surprise intact (usually that works better for me), is it possible to get into hostels? If one gets "stuck" outside, could you sleep outside or if that against the law?

Anyone who can tell me where to look for pertinent info, what book to read, what maps to look at etc. will be appreciated. I'll go at the right time, soon, when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Montana Greeetings

Hello Roadscholar,

I am Linda and am planning to walk the Camino this March/April. I got a lot of good information from the Confraternity of St. James. They have a book store with some good guides. I purchased three so as to get a variety of info.

I have learned a great deal from various forums, including this one. American Pilgrims is a good site with nice links, and Backpack45 is a great website as regards gear. Ultralite gear seems to be the way to go. I am getting my credencial ahead of time as well as some Euros. I am reading everything I can get my hands on, studying spanish and walking. Will try to walk 6 four hour walks between now and when I leave in a few short weeks with shorter walks in-between. This is the extent of my approach.

I have been having some disturbing dreams of late, like last night when a figure said, "You have to prepare for at least eight months for this Pilgrimage." Phooey. How about eight weeks? My insecurities talking, I guess.

Highest blessings Roadscholar,

Linda

Montana Greetings

Hi Linda, I'll be going around that time myself, depending on what the weather is going to do. Thanks for sharing. I was impressed with your list of preparations, I better get my own ass in gear. So far I can only ask in spanish where the bathroom is located and that may not cover it. lol

I don't think that time plays a factor in dreams so more power to you. I'll check out the websites you recommended. I must say there are some special people who walked that route judging by some responses I got. Did you ever read that book El Camino by Shirley MacLaine? I wonder if it is worth my while to get it.

May the Force....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Montana greetings

Hi Roadscholar,

No I haven't read Shirley's book. I read Paolo Coelo's book and Joyce Rupp's book. Both meaningful - Joyce's was eye-opening, recommend it I'm studying Alison Raju's guide now and the Confraternity of Saint James Pilgrim Guide.
Brierley's guide is on the way.

The reality of this thing is starting to set in. I am getting alittle anxious. Was supposed to walk 25 K today and woke up to a blizzard. So here I sit, doing research on the Camino, and turning to mush!

My husband keeps chuckling at me. His pilgrimage 20 years ago was a little different - bald, penniless, carrying nothing. Lasted 3 years. But I think I will be challenged enough walking the Camino with some money and a few things.

Hope your preparations are coming together!

Linda

On the Camino

Hi guys:
Enjoyed reading your posts. I learned about the Camino decades ago in history readings (in Brazil). Have thought about it in the past five years, and have planned since last August. My son is graduating from college and we will go together before he confronts "real life." Got the tickets to Madrid this week! We will be in Roncesvalles on May 23rd, so help me God! We have four weeks to complete our walk.
I think your suggestions are the best I found. Of course, if you read other languages, especially Spanish, you will get other perspectives. Brazilians are really into the Camino right now, and most are in the spiritual mode. I think I am done with the "hard" information needed, and only now I am starting to read diaries and checking picture sites.
Buena suerte y hacia el Camino!
Liberp

hello,
I will be doing the camino late March through April starting from SJJP. I started some preparations months ago, reading, gathering light weight gear ($$$$) etc. As for physical preparations......my car broke down 4 weeks ago. That has forced me to walk everywhere. I work 80km from home which is a 2 hour trip by public transport/walking. So I have had to stay over night for my shifts and therefore use my backpack with all my gear and food for work. So I am in enforced training. Otherwise I probably would not have done so much walking, nor tried out the backpack.
Grateful somewhat, as I found out I had been very niave as to just how physically taxing the camino may be. After walking with my pack for a couple of hours, the next morning I discovered a whole lot of llittle muscles in my back I didn't know existed.
I had lots of other little incidences that occured over the last few months that I later realised would probably be useful for me to be aware of on my trip. So for me my camino started when I decided to do the trip.
As for Shirley MacClaine, a good read, interesting at the very least. Very much a story.
All the best and fun with your preparations
Renata

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
moonwood said:
hello,

Grateful somewhat, as I found out I had been very niave as to just how physically taxing the camino may be. After walking with my pack for a couple of hours, the next morning I discovered a whole lot of llittle muscles in my back I didn't know existed.
I had lots of other little incidences that occured over the last few months that I later realised would probably be useful for me to be aware of on my trip. So for me my camino started when I decided to do the trip.
As for Shirley MacClaine, a good read, interesting at the very least. Very much a story.
All the best and fun with your preparations
Renata

You sound a bit like myself, Renata. Wait until the last moment and then...happy go lucky.
The backmuscles are indeed a problem when they aren't conditioned. I found that out and am still working with it. Welcome and have fun!

Pilgrims over 60

It is enouraging to know that over 10 000 pilgrims of over 60 years of age walked the camino last year and 237 of those were over 75!!
Senior citizens rule!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...are there sometimes problems and what kind of problems?...wonder what I can expect? ...is it possible to get into hostels? If one gets "stuck" outside, could you sleep outside or if that against the law?

You got the answers, pilgrim: I prefer not to plan ahead to keep an element of surprise intact :!:

Best 8)

xm

GREAT advice

xm said:
...are there sometimes problems and what kind of problems?...wonder what I can expect? ...is it possible to get into hostels? If one gets "stuck" outside, could you sleep outside or if that against the law?

You got the answers, pilgrim: I prefer not to plan ahead to keep an element of surprise intact :!:

Best 8)

xm

It is pure synchronicity to get your message one day before I am supposed to get on the bus (from Amsterdam) to the Camino. And so true! My little planning got just wiped off my plate and I am going with an open mental slate. Hope I can get that book you recommend in Toulouse. Also, thanks, kindred spirit xm!

I saw this post too late to be of much help to Roadscholar, but for anyone else that may have similar questions about finding info on the Camino in the Netherlands I really recommend calling into the Genootschap of Sint Jacob (CSJ) in Utrecht.
I plan to walk the Camino in May and called in to their office a few weeks ago and was met with an incredibly warm welcome and lots of advice from very friendly experienced pilgrims. They also have a library where you can find all the info you need about all the Camino routes. It's really worth a visit if just for the warmth of their encouragement.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"... I am going with an open mental slate..."

The best of Caminos for you, lucky lucky Roadscholar :!:

xm 8)

Emails?

kiminutrecht said:
I plan to walk the Camino in May and called in to their office a few weeks ago and was met with an incredibly warm welcome and lots of advice from very friendly experienced pilgrims. They also have a library where you can find all the info you need about all the Camino routes. It's really worth a visit if just for the warmth of their encouragement.

Thanks for trying, Kiminutrecht. I did check out their website, but have been too busy to be able to go to Utrecht. Maybe we'll meet each other on the Camino. I don't have to be back at a certain time so I'll take each day as it comes while enjoying myself.

BTW - Are there possibilities to send emails along the way? I don't want to carry a laptop but like to write my impressions to friends around the world.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are you still on the Camino, xm? I'd love to chat with you! lol

Hi roadscholar. Not on the Caminos until June. Am "ltranseunte" on yahoo. Give me a call. Buen Camino :arrow: xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.