• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally... My Camino de Madrid (June 2014)

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Yes, finally, after three years of suffering on this forum :p

It's my plan to continue on CF and Invierno but will post about that in appropriate sections.
I'll be in Madrid morning of 18th June and will start from the center of the city on 20th June. Because I'm on a tight budget I reserved myself a bunk bed in Backpackers Hostel (18€ for 2 nights) very close to Plaza de Espana. That will also give me a chance to adapt for further nights at albergues I guess ;)

My planned stages are:
- Day01: Tres Cantos (23km)
- Day02: Manzanares del Real (27km)
- Day03: Cercedilla (19km)
- Day04: Segovia (31km)
- Day05: Segovia - non walking day :rolleyes:
- Day06: Ane or Santa Maria de... (depends on albergue in Ane, weather, laziness after Segovia,...)
- Day07: Coca (54km from Segovia)
- Day08: Alcazaren (25km)
- Day09: Puente Duero (25km)
- Day10: Penaflor de... (26km)
- Day11: Medina de... (24km)
- Day12: Villalon de... (24km)
- Day13: Santervas (21km)
- Day14: pass Sahagun and stop already on CF in Bercianos del... (28km)

Well, that's the plan but I won't hold back to change it. Altogether with CF and CdI I have 5 days in reserve. I calculated the stages as shown partly because of the distances (to be as similar as possible from day to day) and also on availability of albergues and other infrastructure in villages.

To be able to post comments about the route etc. I'll buy one of those smart gadgets. Well, THAT will be a real challenge for me, an IT idiot :D

If someone of you have any comments it will be much appreciated. And if someone plan to walk in the same time PM me or say Hi to a 43yo male with eye glasses, moustaches and short beard. I'll carry red-white-silver-black backpack with two forum badges on my back and black hip photo pack in front (see the picture attached).

Have a nice day! I will sure do ;)

Attachments

• 1583-Bostjan on Praza do Obradoiro (Santiago de Compostela, 22.06.2011).jpg
    1583-Bostjan on Praza do Obradoiro (Santiago de Compostela, 22.06.2011).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 150
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be following you! Planning to give CdM a go September 1st!! Buen Camino! Pam

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

It's my plan to continue on CF and Invierno but will post about that in appropriate sections.
I'll be in Madrid morning of 18th June and will start from the center of the city on 20th June. Because I'm on a tight budget I reserved myself a bunk bed in Backpackers Hostel (18€ for 2 nights) very close to Plaza de Espana. That will also give me a chance to adapt for further nights at albergues I guess ;)

My planned stages are:
- Day06: Ane or Santa Maria de... (depends on albergue in Ane, weather, laziness after Segovia,...)

Well, that's the plan but I won't hold back to change it. Altogether with CF and CdI I have 5 days in reserve. I calculated the stages as shown partly because of the distances (to be as similar as possible from day to day) and also on availability of albergues and other infrastructure in villages.

To be able to post comments about the route etc. I'll buy one of those smart gadgets. Well, THAT will be a real challenge for me, an IT idiot :D

If someone of you have any comments it will be much appreciated. And if someone plan to walk in the same time PM me or say Hi to a 43yo male with eye glasses, moustaches and short beard. I'll carry red-white-silver-black backpack with two forum badges on my back and black hip photo pack in front (see the picture attached).

I stayed at most of the same places, and I think you will find that the pilgrim infrastructure is really top notch. I think your days 9 and 10 are much better spaced than mine, but I took a detour into Valladolid for a day and that threw me off a bit.

I think Day 13 as you have it is a lot shorter, I think it's about 16 kms. I had also thought about staying there, but it was so early and it is such a small place, I forged ahead. Unfortunately the albergue planned to open in Grajal de Campos, which would be a perfect stage from Villalon, doesn't seem to be getting around to opening. Even though news reports say it's ready to go and they've spent 200,000 euros on it! Maybe it will be open by the time you get there, kinkyone! Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
p.s. about Grajal de Campos, the news article I just saw from February speculates that the albergue may open during the town's fiestas, which seem to be May 8-11. So there may actually be a new albergue opening on the Madrid this year. It looks very nice even though it is located in the old jail cells.

Day 7, you wrote 54 km...that's a lot! You might want to break that up. Have you walked long distances like that before?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed at most of the same places, and I think you will find that the pilgrim infrastructure is really top notch. I think your days 9 and 10 are much better spaced than mine, but I took a detour into Valladolid for a day and that threw me off a bit.

I think Day 13 as you have it is a lot shorter, I think it's about 16 kms. I had also thought about staying there, but it was so early and it is such a small place, I forged ahead. Unfortunately the albergue planned to open in Grajal de Campos, which would be a perfect stage from Villalon, doesn't seem to be getting around to opening. Even though news reports say it's ready to go and they've spent 200,000 euros on it! Maybe it will be open by the time you get there, kinkyone! Buen camino, Laurie

That was exactly the reason why I planned days 9 & 10 this way. I want to stay off the crowds, cities, ourists etc. as much as possible. Or at least until Santiago :)
16km on day 13 is OK with me (it's planned that way because I didn't know what's going on with Grajal albergue), because I didn't like Sahagun very much in 2011 and would stay off the CF crowds half a day more, hehe.

Day 7, you wrote 54 km...that's a lot! You might want to break that up. Have you walked long distances like that before?
Hi, Kris,

Oh, I guess I've caused some confusion here. 54km is actually combined distance of days 6 & 7, because I don't know yet whether I'll stay in Ane (app.22km from Segovia) or push forward to Santa Maria de... (32km).

Ultreia!

We will be a couple of days ahead of you but traveling slowly so you will probably see us, and pass us. We are allowing 3 weeks to get to Leon. See you along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We will be a couple of days ahead of you but traveling slowly so you will probably see us, and pass us. We are allowing 3 weeks to get to Leon. See you along the way.

Nice to hear that, Sharon. When are you starting from Madrid? Are you planing to sleep in albergues or hostales, casas rurales etc.? Obviously we were all on CF in 2011 too ;)

Hope to leave Madrid on Friday 16th. Will be walking slowly as I'm recovering after 6 months of chemo, but am so looking forward to walking. I walked the Frances from SJDP in 2010 and had to go back in 2111 as I felt it wasn't finished with me. I would love to walk every year but will see how I go this year.

Forgot to say that we will be staying in albergues if possible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hope to leave Madrid on Friday 16th. Will be walking slowly as I'm recovering after 6 months of chemo, but am so looking forward to walking. I walked the Frances from SJDP in 2010 and had to go back in 2111 as I felt it wasn't finished with me. I would love to walk every year but will see how I go this year.
I guess we'll see each other then :)
I've made a list of distances and albergues. It's attached in .pdf format, but can send you a word file via e-mail if you wish to put your remarks in it.

Attachments

• Madrid - distances & albergues.pdf
    143.8 KB · Views: 213
For all interested - I just found the attached list of albergues y servicios in my notes. It might be the most accurate since it is dated December 2013. And whoever has done it - THANKS ;)

Ultreia!

Attachments

• albergues y servicios diciembre 2013 (3).pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 144
For all interested - I just found the attached list of albergues y servicios in my notes. It might be the most accurate since it is dated December 2013. And whoever has done it - THANKS ;)

Ultreia!

This is a great list, just another one of the amazing things about Camino folk sharing their hard work with no expectation of reward or praise. It also suggests that there is some place to sleep in Grajal de Campos, which would be a great way to sleep close to the Frances (I think Sahagun is about 12 from there) and then continue on the Frances without stopping in Sahagun. I like those mudejar churches in Shagun so I stop there when I can (though they were closed the last time I was through), but I can understand how it would be a shock to the system to stay there on your first night after walking in peace and quiet from Madrid! Thanks kinkyone. Laurie

This is a great list, just another one of the amazing things about Camino folk sharing their hard work with no expectation of reward or praise. It also suggests that there is some place to sleep in Grajal de Campos, which would be a great way to sleep close to the Frances (I think Sahagun is about 12 from there) and then continue on the Frances without stopping in Sahagun. I like those mudejar churches in Shagun so I stop there when I can (though they were closed the last time I was through), but I can understand how it would be a shock to the system to stay there on your first night after walking in peace and quiet from Madrid! Thanks kinkyone. Laurie

I couldn't agree more, Laurie. This forum is a goldmine for all Camino junkies. And possibility of sharing info is one of the things about IT stuff that isn't annoying at all ;)

Grajal de Campos is even closer to Sahagun I think. In one of the sources it is 5,2km and on GoogleMaps it is 6,2km (on foot of course).

I also agree that after two weeks of walking in relative solitude will be quite a shock, that's why I planned my first stop on CF in Bercianos del Real Camino and skip Sahagun.

Yup, you're right about the distances to Sahagun. My memory was fuzzy because I had started in Villalon de Campos and then got lost somewhere around Melgar de Arriba, then got rained on walking along the canal into Grajal de Campos and THEN to top it all off, got on the wrong route into Sahagun, which added 4-5 kilometers. My rough calculations suggest that's the longest day I've ever walked, maybe somewhere in the 45 area. So I was pretty out of it.

What I did next though was totally restorative -- went to spend two nights with Rebekah in Moratinos (about 12km before Sahagun) and had a wonderful and relaxing time, (painting arrows, eating great food http://peregrina2000.blogspot.com/2011/05/two-more-solitary-days-on-meseta.html and http://peregrina2000.blogspot.com/2011/06/in-burgo-ranero.html) and then walked out of Moratinos, got the Camino frances shock, and made it to Burgo Ranero.

The more I think back on it, the more I think that this Madrid-Frances-Invierno combination is really a great one.

Just got to the travel section of the Sunday New York Times -- front page is a story on a woman's search for her ancestral roots in Spain that started in Arcos de la Frontera (near Sevilla) and brought her to Segovia. Her ancestors had been Jewish converts to Christianity in the Inquisition. The focus is really not on Segovia, but it is a fascinating story and there are some interesting descriptions of things to see in Segovia that anyone walking the Camino de Madrid will have a chance to visit.

It's available online at
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/travel/in-spain-a-family-reunion-centuries-later.html?_r=0

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just got to the travel section of the Sunday New York Times -- front page is a story on a woman's search for her ancestral roots in Spain that started in Arcos de la Frontera (near Sevilla) and brought her to Segovia. Her ancestors had been Jewish converts to Christianity in the Inquisition. The focus is really not on Segovia, but it is a fascinating story and there are some interesting descriptions of things to see in Segovia that anyone walking the Camino de Madrid will have a chance to visit.

It's available online at
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/travel/in-spain-a-family-reunion-centuries-later.html?_r=0

Really nice story, thank you. And a lot of useful info which gave me something to think about. Actually I already know that and time and time again it's confirmed within me that when walking I do like to see some of the sights (Burgos cathedral for example) on the way, but much more I like to sit in front of the albergue or local Bar/Restaurant just watching the world goes by. It's kind of prolonged meditation that is happening during walking. I guess that after 4 or 5 Caminos I'll have to make a tourist trip to Spain and see it from different angle ;)

Only two more weeks and 3 days!
Madrid! Madrid! Madrid!
It's pulling me...:eek::p

I ENVY YOU SOOOO MUCH :) and I have (only) 9 weeks until departure, hahahahahaha,
so happy, hahahahahaha

Annie, I would kindly ask you to check if "municipal" (closed?) albergue in Manzanares el Real is really closed. Or is there any chance of sleepin in polideportivo or such municipal place. Would be much obliged ;)

Will follow your blog. And...
Ultreia!

My planned stages are:

Looking forward to hear how your Camino goes, I've set up a temporary route plan for 2016 - yes I wish I was going this year! I didn' t plan a rest day - duh, thanks for thinking of that and putting it in your schedule!
Buen Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looking forward to hear how your Camino goes, I've set up a temporary route plan for 2016 - yes I wish I was going this year! I didn' t plan a rest day - duh, thanks for thinking of that and putting it in your schedule!
Buen Camino,

Thanks for responding, @gnhale !

Since I'm a freelancer and during summer it's kind of off-season for my line of work I can (well, not really entirely so....) take some more days off for my Camino. Also I was calculating the best option for plane fares (to & from), so that gives me about 5 days in reserve. Am I lucky? Don't know really ;) Yet...

Sure I'll be posting short observations while on the way and will try to put some more info on the forum when back home also. As far as I've seen on @peregrina2000 's blog et al., that should be a treat of a Camino. Eight weeks to go...

Hi, all,

Because this thread was started by me I'll put my question here. I'm planning to buy one of those "smart" gadgets and thinking also of writing a blog, but don't know yet really... Either way I'll post some here, because making a blog in English would be too much for me while on the Camino. It'll be much easier to do that after return with DSLR photos uploaded and text properly translated.
So I was asking myself whether I should post my daily comments (with pics from my phone) while on the Camino directly in here, e.g. this thread, or make different thread for each town/albergue/stage etc. (as I've seen somebody does on del Norte)? I don't want to "spam" too much :cool:

So, what do you think?

K1

Hi, all,

Because this thread was started by me I'll put my question here. I'm planning to buy one of those "smart" gadgets and thinking also of writing a blog, but don't know yet really... Either way I'll post some here, because making a blog in English would be too much for me while on the Camino. It'll be much easier to do that after return with DSLR photos uploaded and text properly translated.
So I was asking myself whether I should post my daily comments (with pics from my phone) while on the Camino directly in here, e.g. this thread, or make different thread for each town/albergue/stage etc. (as I've seen somebody does on del Norte)? I don't want to "spam" too much :cool:

So, what do you think?

K1

I think you should start a new thread and use that one for all your updatings along the road. Either you start it here or you start it in the "Live from the camino" forum.
Will be fun to read about your camino. :)

Thanks @Susannafromsweden ,

I hope it will be fun for me also ;)
I too was thinking of posting into "Live from...", but there's actually no mention of which Camino you're reporting from. Like there's only Frances..., seems to me...

K1

Hi, Sharon!

How are you doing? Finished your Camino? I just got it that Friday 16th was meant May, so you must have been close to the end. Or was it all one big misunderstanding? ;)

I'll start in less than a week and hope to survive Thu 19th football game between Spain vs.Chile (after todays Spanish defeat againt Dutch team - beautiful match BTW), which I hope to watch on Plaza de Espana :D

Ultreia!

Will be following KinkyOne! Pam

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How is it going on the CdM KinkyOne?

Hi there:)
I'm in Villalon de Campos right now. Sorry for not posting as promised, but kind of hard to find properly working wifi here... Mostly at bars, very slow connections, up to 5Mbps sometimes.
Right now 5 days behind my plan (first a blister, then some very rainy days, as today, and the CSJ guide is lying about distances, hahaha), but have enough time. I'll be in Leon on 10th July If anyone around - Albergue Unamuno.
@Phillypilgrim - I'm making notes and my Endomondo is running each day so you'll get all the details in August.
Ultreia!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I hope all is well. Just got back to Australia after the CDM with my son. How did you fare in Manzanares? Tha albergue had closed 3 months before we arrived, but we were welcomed by a local guy who very generously gave us beds in his home for the night. We also stayed at Unamomo in Leon. Great location.

I hope all is well. Just got back to Australia after the CDM with my son. How did you fare in Manzanares? Tha albergue had closed 3 months before we arrived, but we were welcomed by a local guy who very generously gave us beds in his home for the night. We also stayed at Unamomo in Leon. Great location.
In Manzanares I stayed two nights at sra.Ela's house for 15€/night. Will post all details & photos in August when I return home.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are you finished with the CDM Kinky? Just saw your posts.
Hi, Annie!
All is well, CdM done, CF from Sahagun to Ponferrada too, currently dealing with whole bunch of bedbugs in Puente Domingo Florez (raining) on Invierno. Counted more than 80 bites in 2-3 days. Think I got them either in El Ganso or El Acebo, but could not make a crosscheck with others, because they are all continuing CF.

When you get home write a good blog Kinky,
Laurie who has been magnificent with her assistance on these ways [ Madrid and Inverino] walks a much faster pace than us mere mortals lol

When you get home write a good blog Kinky,
Laurie who has been magnificent with her assistance on these ways [ Madrid and Inverino] walks a much faster pace than us mere mortals lol
Well, I guess we have some pretty exceptional members here when distances/pace is concerned. Laurie and at least three more come to my mind right now: suzannafromsweden, BeatriceKarjalainen & SuperSullivan ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Annie!
All is well, CdM done, CF from Sahagun to Ponferrada too, currently dealing with whole bunch of bedbugs in Puente Domingo Florez (raining) on Invierno. Counted more than 80 bites in 2-3 days. Think I got them either in El Ganso or El Acebo, but could not make a crosscheck with others, because they are all continuing CF.
Wow, 80 bites. Did you do a bedbug check on the mattress each night? Did you use a bedbug sheet? I will be starting my camino in mid August starting in Le Puy and have concerns about bedbugs.

Actually we analysed it so much and came to a conclusion that those (more than 200 in final) bites weren't really bites but more like extreme reaction to primal few bites, like an infection of some kind. I was taking anti-histaminic pills and Cuatroderme dream and now "bites" are almost not visible anymore.
If you want to read all about it, I'll post in August more of my Camino.

Wow, 80 bites. Did you do a bedbug check on the mattress each night? Did you use a bedbug sheet? I will be starting my camino in mid August starting in Le Puy and have concerns about bedbugs.

I'd be surprised if you encounter bedbugs on the Le Puy route. But if it worries you buy some "Clako" in Le Puy. It is sold in many of the gites.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As promissed more than two months ago I'll post some of my remarks on Camino de Madrid. I came to Madrid on 18th of June in the middle of King's resigning/coronation festivities. Maybe that was the reason Iglesia de Santiago y San Juan was closed and I couldn't get pilgrim's credential. I allowed myself a day and a half of aclimatisation and started on 20th of June from Plaza de Espana, actually directly from the doorstep of Hostal Residencia Universitaria ARTI on Gran Via where I paid 9€/night in mixed dormitory with 3 bunkbeds.

Although I've had some rain on the way, which I don' particularly like while walking, the weather was just brilliant, with over 35 centigrade first three days and a bit more moderate (around 25-30C) temperatures after Segovia. Mornings were quite cool, sometimes even just 7C and few severe afternoon storms went by which was the main reason for 17 days that took me to walk it.

I was using CSJ guide 2013 by Max Long which I found very very basic and not really reliable in descriptions and especially not in distances. My Endomondo GPS recorder usually tracked more kilometers and just in one case almost only half the distance in the guide :) I don't find that really a big deal it's just annoying and makes you wonder all the time whether you did the right plan for next day(s). That was of importance for me because I was on a budget and wanted to use municipal albergues as much as possible.

The Camino is mostly sufficiently marked but as usual there are no arrows when you need them :( At the moment I remember two such spots but I'll mentioned more of them in day-by-day posts. I will use distances recorded by Endomondo from distinctive points like Plaza Mayor, Iglesia, Bar, Albergue etc. and from there on, because I don't find distances measured roughly from end of one village to the entrance of the second village really accurate. Sometimes (more commonly on Camino de Invierno) those villages can be 2kms long not to speak about cities like Madrid, Segovia or Sahagun.

In general I liked the whole way but enjoyed wast Tierra de Campos (= Meseta) and huge Pinarios (pine forrests) the most. It took me 371,54kms from Plaza de Espana in Madrid to joining Camino Frances just past the Arco San Benito in Sahagun. Total ascent was 7957mts and total descent 8565mts so one would think that mostly it's downhill but it is not entirely so ;) The people along the way aren't really used to see pilgrims (I've met only 6 bicigrinos and 6 peregrinos on 4 out of 17 days!!!) but are nicer and more eager to help than folks along Camino Frances in my opinion. As you probably already know pilgrims accommodation is scarce before Segovia and adequate afterwards so you can really choose how long stages you're going to walk.

I will try to attach photos that illustrate those orientation challenging parts (and also some really nice parts) of this route the best. The link to my Endomondo history (https://www.endomondo.com/workouts/360990724) will be added, but I have to appologize because I don't know really how to extract GPS track from them. Just click on the date for certain stage and from the maps and graphs beneath them you can see exactly the route I was walking, distance, height etc.

Enjoy…

PS (Oh, maybe I figured it out. There is a file in gpx. format attached. Would be nice if someone who's more into GPS could confirm if it could be of any help. I have also tcx. file but couldn't be uploaded. Thanks!)

Attachments

• 01.Madrid-Tres Cantos.gpx
    196.7 KB · Views: 75
DAY 01 (Fri, 20.06.2014)

MADRID – TRES CANTOS (29,93kms)

https://www.endomondo.com/workouts/360990724

I started from Plaza de Espana and walked to Tres Cantos which was 29,93km on Endomondo. I guess it would be better to start at Plaza de Castilla (10kms less, photo26) or even from Fuencarral/Valverde, but I'm stubborn and wanted to walk every meter. I'm sure that so many kilimeters on pavements resulted in my earlier and not planned rest day in Manzanares el Real :)

That first flecha amarilla is still on the street lamp (photo27) and from there I didn't find any problems with markings for few kms. After leaving four skyscrappers behind you'll cross M-607 autovia to Fuencarral and after 3kms again. Soon after that there's Mercadona supermarket right on the Camino which is the last option to stock up before Tres Cantos.

You'll come to the Camino de la Cañada sign on the cemetery wall (photo33) and after that there's first tricky intersection. Be cautious to go left to the underpass when come to railroad and autovia M-40. I went right at the first and even after few minutes at the intersection I couldn't find any arrow pointing either way.

A little less than 2kms, already in the open country, you will come to a crossroad (19+km on my map) with no markers at all (photo37). Turn right although it's nice shady area for resting if you proceed straight ahead for approx.400mts J

When coming to first few houses after 2kms there are two options also marked on a concrete lampstand. Nice lady offered me some cool water and told me it is better to take righthand one over the railroad because it is wider (light gravel) although used by cyclists too. The left one is running also parallel to the railroad but is rougher and later reconnects with wider one. From there on Camino runs paralel to autovia or even on tarmac bici route for last few kms - hard on feet!

When you reach 4th bridge over autovia take it towards Centro. At first round crossing take left and first right under railroad. On righthand side you'll find Mercadona market open until 21:30, so you can buy some food and still catch opened Ayunamiento. If you just want to stock up that's less than 1km detour.

A little bit further down the street on right there is Ayuntamiento (photo39). Employees there are very friendly and the room for four in the cellar is nice too. It has two windows to open, some furniture but only one electric socket! (photo40) Toilets are separated, very clean and the water is boiling hot... I've found two pieces of women's clothes and two packs of dried pasta with Finnish text on them so I guess here was a girl from Finland a few days in front of me on the way. They close Ayunamiento at 21:00 and you're locked inside until morning. I got "thrown out" at 8 by a policeman, hehe, but it was Saturday.

Attachments

• 0026-Plaza de Castilla (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14.).jpg
    0026-Plaza de Castilla (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14.).jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 0027-first flecha (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    0027-first flecha (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 0033-beginning of Camino de la Canada at Fuencarral (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    0033-beginning of Camino de la Canada at Fuencarral (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 0037-tricky intersection (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    0037-tricky intersection (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 0039-Ayuntamiento (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    0039-Ayuntamiento (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 0040-Ayuntamiento (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    0040-Ayuntamiento (Madrid - Tres Cantos, 20.06.14).jpg
    155 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Where did you get sellos in Tres Cantos k1?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
As promissed more than two months ago I'll post some of my remarks on Camino de Madrid. I came to Madrid on 18th of June in the middle of King's resigning/coronation festivities. Maybe that was the reason Iglesia de Santiago y San Juan was closed and I couldn't get pilgrim's credential. I allowed myself a day and a half of aclimatisation and started on 20th of June from Plaza de Espana, actually directly from the doorstep of Hostal Residencia Universitaria ARTI on Gran Via where I paid 9€/night in mixed dormitory with 3 bunkbeds.

Although I've had some rain on the way, which I don' particularly like while walking, the weather was just brilliant, with over 35 centigrade first three days and a bit more moderate (around 25-30C) temperatures after Segovia. Mornings were quite cool, sometimes even just 7C and few severe afternoon storms went by which was the main reason for 17 days that took me to walk it.

I was using CSJ guide 2013 by Max Long which I found very very basic and not really reliable in descriptions and especially not in distances. My Endomondo GPS recorder usually tracked more kilometers and just in one case almost only half the distance in the guide :) I don't find that really a big deal it's just annoying and makes you wonder all the time whether you did the right plan for next day(s). That was of importance for me because I was on a budget and wanted to use municipal albergues as much as possible.

The Camino is mostly sufficiently marked but as usual there are no arrows when you need them :( At the moment I remember two such spots but I'll mentioned more of them in day-by-day posts. I will use distances recorded by Endomondo from distinctive points like Plaza Mayor, Iglesia, Bar, Albergue etc. and from there on, because I don't find distances measured roughly from end of one village to the entrance of the second village really accurate. Sometimes (more commonly on Camino de Invierno) those villages can be 2kms long not to speak about cities like Madrid, Segovia or Sahagun.

In general I liked the whole way but enjoyed wast Tierra de Campos (= Meseta) and huge Pinarios (pine forrests) the most. It took me 371,54kms from Plaza de Espana in Madrid to joining Camino Frances just past the Arco San Benito in Sahagun. Total ascent was 7957mts and total descent 8565mts so one would think that mostly it's downhill but it is not entirely so ;) The people along the way aren't really used to see pilgrims (I've met only 6 bicigrinos and 6 peregrinos on 4 out of 17 days!!!) but are nicer and more eager to help than folks along Camino Frances in my opinion. As you probably already know pilgrims accommodation is scarce before Segovia and adequate afterwards so you can really choose how long stages you're going to walk.

I will try to attach photos that illustrate those orientation challenging parts (and also some really nice parts) of this route the best. The link to my Endomondo history (https://www.endomondo.com/workouts/360990724) will be added, but I have to appologize because I don't know really how to extract GPS track from them. Just click on the date for certain stage and from the maps and graphs beneath them you can see exactly the route I was walking, distance, height etc.

Enjoy…

PS (Oh, maybe I figured it out. There is a file in gpx. format attached. Would be nice if someone who's more into GPS could confirm if it could be of any help. I have also tcx. file but couldn't be uploaded. Thanks!)

Great, so glad you're doing this KinkyOne. Look forward to reading all your tips.

Just a GPS suggestion. The website wikiloc.com is a great site for posting and for downloading GPS tracks. In fact, I just completed my first upload. If I can do this, anyone can do this, just make an account and use KinkyOne as your name, and then everyone can find you.

I think the author of the CSJ guidebook would be delighted to receive all of your written comments and corrections. Laurie

Great, so glad you're doing this KinkyOne. Look forward to reading all your tips.

Just a GPS suggestion. The website wikiloc.com is a great site for posting and for downloading GPS tracks. In fact, I just completed my first upload. If I can do this, anyone can do this, just make an account and use KinkyOne as your name, and then everyone can find you.

I think the author of the CSJ guidebook would be delighted to receive all of your written comments and corrections. Laurie
Hola, Laurie!

Thanks for joining the thread again.
I'm on-line with Phillypilgrim and she said that gpx. files works so I'll just export those and post them.

Will send this link to Max Long but maybe only when post everything here. After almost two months of absence my family, friends and co-workers are all over me and can hardly find time to organize all of my photos (approx.1500), diary and all the rest of data. That's why I'll be posting this in little steps, hopefully 2-3 days of walking per day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi just PM'd you k1, I can't open the file, but LOVE the narratives, thanks for all the work it takes to write.
Pam

DAY 02 (Sat, 21.06.2014)

TRES CANTOS – MANZANARES EL REAL (28,83kms)

That's really nice stage although it was very hard for me due to a blister I got previous day. I gave a lot of thoughts to that blister because it was my second blister in my whole life as I remember. Yes there was a lot of walking on concrete and tarmac, but also I blame my boots. I got them for free, tried them in the mountains and didn't think much after that. But they were too soft and way too hot for that kind of surface. It was a well remembered lesson!!!

From Ayuntamiento I retraced back over M-607 and descend to Arroyo Tejada valley. Soon a small mojon reminded me what some of the people might think about us (photo43) :) After 4kms there was a huge almost demolished mojon with yellow arrow pointing uphill to the right. I took it, but you shouldn't!!! Max Long is right on this one – just follow the path along the arroyo. I added 1km steeply uphill and then I've walked another 8kms on tarmac bici route, ughhh… Only good thing was I've got some nice panoramic views of Colmenar Viejo with Guadarrama massif with some snow patches in the back (photo47). I think altogether I've added approx.2kms on this unwanted detour.

After a break in the shade of Iglesia Asuncion de Nuestra Señora I searched for Tourist Office and Museum but both were closed. I called a contact for private rooms from the list I've had but as I expected everything was full because it was weekend and Spaniards have fiestas.

Going out of Colmenar Viejo is a bit tricky because arrows dissapeared for me, but it's helpfull to find a way to the market place and from there on it's easy-peasy. People were really very helpful finding my way to famous grafiti wall (photos55&57) and out of the town. Soon you're in the open (photo59) and for 12kms on mostly wide country tracks (photo65) there's absolutely no problem finding your way to (be alert for sharp righ turn on 25th km) Manzanares el Real (photos66&69).

Helpfull Tabaco-nist explained (in very good English) how to find Señora Ela's house and I was very lucky to find her at home, because she was already heading for the mass. I've slept alone in nice four bed room with small balcony for 15€/night, but no wi-fi. Kitchen (not equiped) and bathroom with WC are also clean and nice. In the village there's plenty of restaurants and markets opened also on Saturday and Sunday.

Attachments

• 0043-mojon (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    0043-mojon (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 0047-panoramic view of Colmenar Viejo (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    0047-panoramic view of Colmenar Viejo (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 0055-leaving Colmenar Viejo (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    0055-leaving Colmenar Viejo (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 0057-leaving Colmenar Viejo (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    0057-leaving Colmenar Viejo (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 0059-leaving Colmenar Viejo (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    0059-leaving Colmenar Viejo (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 0065-dirt highway (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    0065-dirt highway (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 0066-panoramic view (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    0066-panoramic view (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 0069-panoramic view (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    0069-panoramic view (Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real, 21.06.14).jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 02.Tres Cantos-Manzanares el Real.gpx
    195.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
So, Kinky, did you visit the castle in Manzanares? It really is kind of a storybook castle, reputed to be the best example of Castilian military architecture of the 15th (? -- maybe 16th??) century. I remember having a very nice walk around and up and down. Special pilgrim entrance fee -- or was it the old folks discount? I don't remember.

Glad to hear that there is now an alternative to the expensive hotels in Manzanares. But I still am so so sad that the albergue up on the rock outside of town is closed. That was amazing.

Looking forward to these daily installments. But I do have a question that I'm sure you will answer in all due time, but I'm dying to know -- did you get inside the church at Wamba????? This is a dream of mine, maybe somewhat unusual, but you can't imagine my disappointment when I passed by and it was closed, and not to be open for hours. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I forgot this yesterday :)
HOW TO FIND SRA.ELA'S HOUSE IN MANZANARES EL REAL:

When you come to Manzanares before the old bridge there are arrows pointing you left to municipal/parrochial albergue (still closed) and further on Camino towards Mataelpino. Don't take it, go straight on to the Plaza Mayor and just proceed on its lower end into Calle Cañada. When you see this house with big fig tree (c/Cañada 45) in the patio you're already there (photo86), but turn left uphill before it and right and you're on Calle Alamos 22 (photo87). The room was nice and cozy (photo88), with balcony above patio (photos92&93).

Attachments

• 0086-Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0086-Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 0087-Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0087-Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 0088-Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0088-Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    235 KB · Views: 66
  • 0092-view from Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0092-view from Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 0093-view from Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0093-view from Sra.Ela's house (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
="KinkyOne, post:
"Going out of Colmenar Viejo is a bit tricky because arrows dissapeared for me, but it's helpfull to find a way to the market place and from there on it's easy-peasy. People were really very helpful finding my way to famous grafiti wall (photos55&57) and out of the town. Soon you're in the open (photo59) and for 12kms on mostly wide country tracks (photo65) there's absolutely no problem finding your way to (be alert for sharp righ turn on 25th km) Manzanares el Real (photos66&69)".

In Colmenar Viejo I got lost too. In case of losing the arrows you better ask for the Iglesia de la Asunción. From my experience, there were still quite a few people in the town who don't know where the Camino goes.

REST DAY :( (Sun, 22.06.2014)

Because this rest day wasn't planned I really was resting. Mostly of course due to my blister. Here's the answer to Laurie's question about visit to the Castle. It was Sunday and I was around in flip-flops and thinking to visit the Castle next day when in boots again. But next morning the Castle was closed (photo94)… Ah, so many things I would do differently another time, go for a walk to the lake for example etc.

But I did went to the Church of Nuestra Señora de las Nieves (photo71) because it was so close. I think they had first Communion at that moment (photos73&74). I took few photos of the village and was waiting for the priest but was too late. So I've found him in the parrochia. He was very nice, gave me the sello and we spoke a little bit (he was already on his way somewhere), just to get information that albergue is still closed and that he is of Polish origin.

I took some photos on Plaza Mayor where the end of a Triathlon was (photos76&77), ate something and went back to my room for washing my clothes and rest some more. After a short nap I've had a conversation about local climate with Sra.Ela's husband. He told me that even in the winter it is not so cold although a bit higher in Sierra de Guadarrama there could be a lot of snow. That's why this place is so popular with Madrileños. Really, here you can have all range of activities, hiking, climbing, running, cycling, swimming, sailing and so on.

Attachments

• 0094-Castillo (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0094-Castillo (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 0071-Nuestra Senora de las Nieves (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0071-Nuestra Senora de las Nieves (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    306 KB · Views: 45
  • 0073-Nuestra Senora de las Nieves (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0073-Nuestra Senora de las Nieves (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 0074-Nuestra Senora de las Nieves (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0074-Nuestra Senora de las Nieves (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 0076-end of Triathlon (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0076-end of Triathlon (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 0077-end of Triathlon (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    0077-end of Triathlon (Manzanares el Real, 22.06.14).jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
="KinkyOne, post:
"Going out of Colmenar Viejo is a bit tricky because arrows dissapeared for me, but it's helpfull to find a way to the market place and from there on it's easy-peasy. People were really very helpful finding my way to famous grafiti wall (photos55&57) and out of the town. Soon you're in the open (photo59) and for 12kms on mostly wide country tracks (photo65) there's absolutely no problem finding your way to (be alert for sharp righ turn on 25th km) Manzanares el Real (photos66&69)".

In Colmenar Viejo I got lost too. In case of losing the arrows you better ask for the Iglesia de la Asunción. From my experience, there were still quite a few people in the town who don't know where the Camino goes.

Exactly, Pelegrin, I think most of them don't know about Camino, but when I asked about flechas amarillas they remembered ;)

So, Kinky, did you visit the castle in Manzanares? It really is kind of a storybook castle, reputed to be the best example of Castilian military architecture of the 15th (? -- maybe 16th??) century. I remember having a very nice walk around and up and down. Special pilgrim entrance fee -- or was it the old folks discount? I don't remember.

Glad to hear that there is now an alternative to the expensive hotels in Manzanares. But I still am so so sad that the albergue up on the rock outside of town is closed. That was amazing.

Looking forward to these daily installments. But I do have a question that I'm sure you will answer in all due time, but I'm dying to know -- did you get inside the church at Wamba????? This is a dream of mine, maybe somewhat unusual, but you can't imagine my disappointment when I passed by and it was closed, and not to be open for hours. Buen camino, Laurie
Yes, I remember that church. It was closed for another hour and I didn't want to wait because it stopped raining at that moment and I just pushed on...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
DAY 03 (Mon, 23.06.2014)

MANZANARES EL REAL - CERCEDILLA (22,22kms)

Señora Ela and her husband went for a three-day trip to Asturias that morning so I was told to leave the key and 15€ for the second night in the mailbox. I was surprised how trusting this gesture was but later on Camino de Madrid I found out that this is very common. Usually I was given the keys and in the morning I left them in buson. That was really nice experience.

Getting out of Manzanares is well marked and really easy. First you pass Castillo Viejo (photo95), walk through suburb of holiday houses and soon you're in the open, surrounded with pastures and with Sierra de Guadarrama on your right (photo100 – taken on km4). Before Mataelpino I saw the biggest yellow arrow ever (photo102) ;)

I was in Mataelpino on km8. If you want to go to the center take the first street on the right uphill, pass the church on your left and about 50mts later you'll see Plaza Mayor on your left. Otherwise just continue along the road and rejoin Camino at the other end of the village. Guide says there are bank, shop and bar. I saw at least 6 bars/restaurants and 4 were open.

In next 8 kms to Navacerrada it's very easy to navigate. Beautiful landscape although first part of the way is close to the road. The second biggest thing I saw on this stage was 6mts high stone mound (photo108), but of course this one wasn't erected by us humans :) You may also meet some black cows with huge horns on pasture without fence but they are harmless. 6,5kms after Mataelpino after short uphill (photo114) you come to M-607 and cross it. Here the Camino turns left through the forest but I went straight on for another kilometer to the intersection and took left into Navacerrada center which was exactly 16kms from Manzanares. I think both options are of the same lenght.

I stopped in the park in front of the Ayuntamiento, ate something, put off my boots and enjoyed the shade because it was very hot day. After that Camino goes steeply uphill on Calle Abel and that was tough with cold muscles and full stomach, I was breathing like a steam locomotive… On the top the view over the town and embalse could've been nicer or at least without electric wires (photo118), but the closest house on the photo was for sale if anyone is interested and I'd guess it has nicer view ;)

Soon after crossing M-607 above Navacerrada it's the highest point (1360mts) of this stage and from here on Camino descends to Cercedilla (photo120). These 6kms to Cercedilla is approx.half on tarmac and half on light gravel, but with almost no cars and through beautiful pine forest. And the smell of pines was just amazing. Very nice.

Cercedilla Polideportivo is at the entrance to the town (photo123). When I came in there was whole bunch of teenagers on their summer camp guided by mixed Spanish and English teachers and they helped me with the janitor which spoke not a word of English and my limited Spanish wasn't enough. First there was a problem because I didn' have official credencial therefore I collected sellos in my compiled guidebook. At last the headmaster allowed me to stay at sala de aerobica. I took the shower and headed into town to the closest market. Janitor warned me to be back before 21h.

When I was sipping cold beer on the bench by the promenade an elderly couple stopped by and started the conversation in Spanish. They've seen me somewhere along the Camino while resting in their house and came to Cercedilla especially to find me and wish me luck. Wow!!! But I found out that the man has already done 9 Caminos so the reason for wishing me luck was quite obvious. Unforgettable feeling!

When I returned back to Polideportivo at half past eight the janitor was gone and young woman was in his booth. She told me that I can not go to my »room«, because the group of Cercedilla ladies are having aerobic class. Ouch! Nobody told me that and I left everything, smelly t-shirt, socks, boots just lying around (photo125). I was so ashamed I've hide myself behind the building until they were done o_O But did met the aerobic teacher afterwards and apologized for the smell and everything. Lots of laughing…

They do close the Polideportivo during the night, but there's no alarm and back doors can be opened from inside, you just have to be careful not to close them behind you once outside. So I did enjoy some evening breeze. With their permission to open that doors, of course.

Attachments

• 0095-Castillo Viejo (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0095-Castillo Viejo (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 0100-fence (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0100-fence (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 0102-flecha (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0102-flecha (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 0108-stone mound after Mataelpino (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0108-stone mound after Mataelpino (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 0114-before Navacerrada (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0114-before Navacerrada (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 0118-view back at Navacerrada (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0118-view back at Navacerrada (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 0120-view over Cercedilla (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0120-view over Cercedilla (Manzanares - Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 0123-Polideportivo (Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0123-Polideportivo (Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 0125-sala de aerobica (Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    0125-sala de aerobica (Cercedilla, 23.06.14).jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 03.Manzanares el Real-Cercedilla.gpx
    150.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Where did you get sellos in Tres Cantos k1?

Phillypilgrim, you may already know this, but if you're not planning to sleep in Tres Cantos, there is no point in going into the town unless you need supplies. The camino stays on the left side of the highway, and Tres Cantos is on the right. There are two overpasses to get from the Camino to the town, and I think (Kinky will have a more up to date memory on this point) that if you take the first overpass it makes for a shorter detour into the center with no backtracking.

Tres Cantos is not one of the Camino de Madrid's more charming places, but I have had a very good meal there! Buen camino, Laurie

Phillypilgrim, you may already know this, but if you're not planning to sleep in Tres Cantos, there is no point in going into the town unless you need supplies. The camino stays on the left side of the highway, and Tres Cantos is on the right. There are two overpasses to get from the Camino to the town, and I think (Kinky will have a more up to date memory on this point) that if you take the first overpass it makes for a shorter detour into the center with no backtracking.

Tres Cantos is not one of the Camino de Madrid's more charming places, but I have had a very good meal there! Buen camino, Laurie
I don't know how I managed to count four overpasses :confused:, but the one that is closer to the center is a bit further on from closed Hotel Foxa. I think there are two overpasses for cars and two footbridges, so that's why four of them.

Yes I am staying the night in Tres Cantos at The Holiday Inn!!! What a strange first day it will be, but my walk from Plaza de Castilla is about 14 miles so need to stop for the day. I am wondering though Laurie and K1, will I be getting lost on this trail? I have many notations added to the CSJ guide from all of you, but am wondering if I will lose the trail?? Any thoughts? Pam

Yes I am staying the night in Tres Cantos at The Holiday Inn!!! What a strange first day it will be, but my walk from Plaza de Castilla is about 14 miles so need to stop for the day. I am wondering though Laurie and K1, will I be getting lost on this trail? I have many notations added to the CSJ guide from all of you, but am wondering if I will lose the trail?? Any thoughts? Pam
No, Pam, you will not get lost :)
Although Frances and Invierno are better marked than Madrid markers here are quite sufficient. Just put down my remarks on tricky intersections and maybe remember the photos (or even print them and throw them away afterwards) of those particular spots and you'll be OK!!!

I like that idea a lot! Printing out the photos. Thanks!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
DAY 03 (Mon, 23.06.2014)

MANZANARES EL REAL - CERCEDILLA (22,22kms)

Señora Ela and her husband went for a three-day trip to Asturias that morning so I was told to leave the key and 15€ for the second night in the mailbox. I was surprised how trusting this gesture was but later on Camino de Madrid I found out that this is very common. Usually I was given the keys and in the morning I left them in buson. That was really nice experience.

Getting out of Manzanares is well marked and really easy. First you pass Castillo Viejo (photo95), walk through suburb of holiday houses and soon you're in the open, surrounded with pastures and with Sierra de Guadarrama on your right (photo100 – taken on km4). Before Mataelpino I saw the biggest yellow arrow ever (photo102) ;)

I was in Mataelpino on km8. If you want to go to the center take the first street on the right uphill, pass the church on your left and about 50mts later you'll see Plaza Mayor on your left. Otherwise just continue along the road and rejoin Camino at the other end of the village. Guide says there are bank, shop and bar. I saw at least 6 bars/restaurants and 4 were open.

In next 8 kms to Navacerrada it's very easy to navigate. Beautiful landscape although first part of the way is close to the road. The second biggest thing I saw on this stage was 6mts high stone mound (photo108), but of course this one wasn't erected by us humans :) You may also meet some black cows with huge horns on pasture without fence but they are harmless. 6,5kms after Mataelpino after short uphill (photo114) you come to M-607 and cross it. Here the Camino turns left through the forest but I went straight on for another kilometer to the intersection and took left into Navacerrada center which was exactly 16kms from Manzanares. I think both options are of the same lenght.

I stopped in the park in front of the Ayuntamiento, ate something, put off my boots and enjoyed the shade because it was very hot day. After that Camino goes steeply uphill on Calle Abel and that was tough with cold muscles and full stomach, I was breathing like a steam locomotive… On the top the view over the town and embalse could've been nicer or at least without electric wires (photo118), but the closest house on the photo was for sale if anyone is interested and I'd guess it has nicer view ;)

Soon after crossing M-607 above Navacerrada it's the highest point (1360mts) of this stage and from here on Camino descends to Cercedilla (photo120). These 6kms to Cercedilla is approx.half on tarmac and half on light gravel, but with almost no cars and through beautiful pine forest. And the smell of pines was just amazing. Very nice.

Cercedilla Polideportivo is at the entrance to the town (photo123). When I came in there was whole bunch of teenagers on their summer camp guided by mixed Spanish and English teachers and they helped me with the janitor which spoke not a word of English and my limited Spanish wasn't enough. First there was a problem because I didn' have official credencial therefore I collected sellos in my compiled guidebook. At last the headmaster allowed me to stay at sala de aerobica. I took the shower and headed into town to the closest market. Janitor warned me to be back before 21h.

When I was sipping cold beer on the bench by the promenade an elderly couple stopped by and started the conversation in Spanish. They've seen me somewhere along the Camino while resting in their house and came to Cercedilla especially to find me and wish me luck. Wow!!! But I found out that the man has already done 9 Caminos so the reason for wishing me luck was quite obvious. Unforgettable feeling!

When I returned back to Polideportivo at half past eight the janitor was gone and young woman was in his booth. She told me that I can not go to my »room«, because the group of Cercedilla ladies are having aerobic class. Ouch! Nobody told me that and I left everything, smelly t-shirt, socks, boots just lying around (photo125). I was so ashamed I've hide myself behind the building until they were done o_O But did met the aerobic teacher afterwards and apologized for the smell and everything. Lots of laughing…

They do close the Polideportivo during the night, but there's no alarm and back doors can be opened from inside, you just have to be careful not to close them behind you once outside. So I did enjoy some evening breeze. With their permission to open that doors, of course.

Really great to read your posts and see your wonderful photos. The story about the aerobics class made me laugh :D

DAY 04 (Tue, 24.06.2014)

CERCEDILLA - VALSAIN (27,92kms)

I haven't slept well because whole night storms were raging outside and it was so noisy when rain was falling on aluminium roof of Polideportivo. I waited for the cleaning ladies and went into the rain on the most demanding stage of Camino de Madrid, 700mts ascend in 9kms. It would be a gem of a walk in nicer weather but for hours I couldn't get my boots off because of the rain. Arghhh…

From Polideportivo to Cercedilla center is a bit more than 1km and Albergue Vila Castora is another few out of town in direction of Puerto de la Fuenfria. It would be a good start for shorten the distance to Segovia for at least 3kms.

First you walk along the tarmac Ctra.de las Dehesas, then Camino veers right in the forest (photo132) and a bit later you have the chance to walk on the wide Calzada Romana (photo135). To this point there are two bars/restaurants but on that particular day both were closed. There is also an adrenalin fun park and kind of youth holiday campus so enough possibilities if you run out of water.

Although there are at least three different marked paths intertwined you'll have no problems finding the right way. Some parts were simply stunning because of vegetation (photo139) and some because of the views back toward Cercedilla. After some more steep climbs on former Roman road and after 11kms you reach Puerto de la Fuenfria (photo142).

From here the Camino is almost flat for 2kms (photo144). In this kind of weather I was feeling like walking through hills of Galicia (photo147). After these 2kms of flat terrain the way descends towards Segovia (photo151). There are two fuentes so no worries about the water.

Because of the rain it was impossible for me to take off my boots so I decided to descend to Valsain, which is closer than Segovia. A bit before 24th kilometer on a clearance there is a clearly marked left turn for Segovia and right (on tarmac) for Valsain. This road is not marked but you can not get lost, just keep right on every intersection and also you see Valsain down in the valley almost all the time. In the time of my descend (4km) the rain had stopped. Although the town is extremely dirty and unattractive (sheep, cows, horses, goats, hens etc. freely walking around, their dump everywhere) they do have two museums (photos154&155) :p

But real disappointment was yet to come. There should be an albergue in Valsain. I've made a mistake and didn't phone earlier. When I called the number of the albergue a man responded and told me that I've called a hotel in Segovia (???) and that albergue in Valsain is closed. I could've walked another few kilometers to La Granja de San Ildefonso's Albergue Turistico but my feet were already like over-cooked potatoes… So I paid 25€ for a small but nice and clean room in Hostal El Torreon (http://www.hostaleltorreon.com/).

And finally I took my boots off and dried the blister :D

In next post: why sleeping in Valsain (maybe) isn't such a bad option… ;)

Attachments

• 04.Cercedilla-Valsain.gpx
    185 KB · Views: 21
  • 0132-through woods (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0132-through woods (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 0135-Calzada & Puente Romano (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0135-Calzada & Puente Romano (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 0139-beautiful uphill (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0139-beautiful uphill (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 0142-Puerto de la Fuenfria (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0142-Puerto de la Fuenfria (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 0144-descent from Puerto de la Fuenfria (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0144-descent from Puerto de la Fuenfria (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 0147-fog over valley (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0147-fog over valley (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 0151-Segovia & Tierra de Campos (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0151-Segovia & Tierra de Campos (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 0154-museum in Valsain (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0154-museum in Valsain (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 0155-museum in Valsain (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    0155-museum in Valsain (Cercedilla - Valsain, 24.06.14).jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 55
From your pic, Puerto de la Fuenfria was empty of people!
I've been there hundreds of times and always someone was there.
It is one of the most visited points in Sierra de Madrid (National Park now).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From your pic, Puerto de la Fuenfria was empty of people!
I've been there hundreds of times and always someone was there.
It is one of the most visited points in Sierra de Madrid (National Park now).
So I guess I was lucky in a way ;)
At Puente Romano there were some people (tourist group, on the other side of the bridge on the photo) and a few hundred meters uphill two friends, Spaniard and Englishman, were descending because of the rain. Otherwise all the way to Valsain I haven't seen a living soul :)
Actually I was happy with that.

DAY 05 (Wed, 25.06.2014)
VALSAIN – ZAMARRAMALA (18,19kms)

PART 01

So, why could be a detour to Valsain good option? First reason is that there is a Royal palace worth visit just 3kms away in La Granja de San Ildefonso (photos159,160,161&163). The town also has Albergue Turistico and all the rest you could need or want. I was there in the morning and since the houses are tip-top restaurated it gave kind of sterile feeling with all those empty streets. But I can imagine mingling around in the evening. Second reason is the owner of Hostal El Torreon who is one of the best chefs of local cuisine in that region, so I was told by the guy at the gasolinera when leaving La Granja.

Maybe it is also worth taking a bus ride from Segovia to La Granja for a (half-)day trip to that palace, which is especially famous for its gardens. Also 2kms along the way to Segovia there is Embalse de Ponton on Rio Eresma (photo169).

After Embalse de Ponton the way to Segovia is on light gravel path parelleling the CL-601 for 6kms (photo171) until you really reach suburbs. From there it is another 4kms on paved path to aqueduct (15kms from Valsain). On that way is also Camping and at least one huge supermarket that I've seen.

The aqueduct is simply magnificent (photo174) even from the distance but you'll get the idea when standing beneath it. Huh… Segovia is very nice city with quaint old part and deserves another day, but I've already spent that one so decided to take a short tour and proceed to Zamarramala where municipal albergue is.

First I walked down the Av.Fernandez Ladreda (photo186), past Iglesia de San Millan (photo189), watching storks while taking a break in the park (photo193).

To be continued...

Attachments

• 0159-La Granja de San Ildefonso map (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0159-La Granja de San Ildefonso map (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 0160-La Granja de San Ildefonso palace (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0160-La Granja de San Ildefonso palace (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 0161-La Granja de San Ildefonso palace (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0161-La Granja de San Ildefonso palace (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 0163-La Granja de San Ildefonso palace (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0163-La Granja de San Ildefonso palace (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 0169-mansion at Embalse de Ponton on Rio Eresma (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0169-mansion at Embalse de Ponton on Rio Eresma (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 0171-road to Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0171-road to Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 0174-Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0174-Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 0186-Av.Fernandez Ladreda in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0186-Av.Fernandez Ladreda in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 0189-Iglesia de San Millan in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0189-Iglesia de San Millan in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 0193-stork in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0193-stork in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 54
DAY 05 (Wed, 25.06.2014)

PART 02

On return to aqueduct (photo196&198) and on the way up to the old part of town (photo202&204) and the cathedral (photo209) I've seen so many interesting things and architectural details that I'm sure I could've stayed here for three days :)

Few days later in albergue in Puente Duero I was given this leaflet (photo268) from which the pilgrim discounts in Segovia hotels can be seen and was also told that authorities of Segovia are aware of importance of pilgrims. So they persuaded few hotels and hostals to offer special discounts to pilgrims. Also they have opened albergue in Zamarramala in May (more about that later).

Camino is well marked from Cathedral to Alcazar where arrows again disappeared for me o_O But since you can see Zamarramala on the other side of the ravine (photo215) it was easy. I turned righthand down the street and few meters later went left down the stairs all the way. From there the arrows are plenty again but it's so obvious where to go anyway. From aquaduct to Iglesia Santa Cruz below Zamarramala is less than 2,5kms (photo219) and from there you have Alcazar like in front of you (photo220). 1,5km uphill beside the road and you're in Zamarramala (photo222).

To be continued...

Attachments

• 0196-look back into Av.Fernandez Ladreda in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0196-look back into Av.Fernandez Ladreda in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 0198-church on Av.Fernandez Ladreda in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0198-church on Av.Fernandez Ladreda in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 0202-house on Calle Juan Bravo in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0202-house on Calle Juan Bravo in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 0204-church on Calle Juan Bravo in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0204-church on Calle Juan Bravo in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 0209-Cathedral in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0209-Cathedral in Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 0268-list of hotels in Segovia (Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0268-list of hotels in Segovia (Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 0215-Zamarramala from Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0215-Zamarramala from Segovia (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 0219-Iglesia Vera Cruz (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0219-Iglesia Vera Cruz (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    224 KB · Views: 35
  • 0220-Alcazar from Iglesa Vera Cruz (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0220-Alcazar from Iglesa Vera Cruz (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 0222-entrance to Zamarramala (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0222-entrance to Zamarramala (Valsain - Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 37
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
DAY 05 (Wed, 25.06.2014)

PART 03

In Zamarramala you first see Ermita de San Roque, place of former refugio, but since I didn't see arrows pointing to new one I just proceed to main square and ask for albergue in tienda Tiene Miga (photo224). There I've found a big man named Manuel (ups, was he Miguel???) who laughed out loud and said that he had the keys. He simply locked the store and took me to this brand new (also smelly as recently built or painted) albergue. I couldn't believe that only me will enjoy all that although it is still kind of »cold«, every house needs people to become »warm« (photos226-230).

There he put my name in the book, gave me the sello, told me that I was approx.100 pilgrim to sleep there and gave me the code for the door-lock. No donativo, this albergue is totally free of charge. Another Segovia authorities smart move!

I took a shower, washed some clothes and returned to tienda. First we drank few beers on the square and then Manuel invited me to his house where family fiesta was just starting (photo225). They were all over me with questions about my pilgrimage, my country, they fed me, gave me wine to drink and it went on and on. Huh, everyday is a surprise and a gift on this Camino, I thought to myself.

Later I talked with Manuel some more, on ethics, money, greed, capitalism etc. It went on for few hours. He was embracing me all the time and calling me his »hermano« :D Very nice and somehow touchy because we really got together in our political and economical views.

Before went to sleep I took a short walk to the edge of the village and admired the view over Segovia (photo231).

In Zamarramala they have three restaurants and there wasn't a day that one of them wouldn't be opened told me Manuel. One more interesting thing about that village. The main square is called Plaza de los Alcaldesas – that's more female mayors. I asked Manuel why is that and he told me that when Moors were in Alcazar one night women from Zamarramala sneaked in and cut their throats. Since that time they didn't had any alcalde, only alcaldesas. At the moment they have two female mayors legaly elected. Don't really know if that was a hoax or is it true…, hahaha.

Very merry and special village ;)

That was really one nice day. That's why so many photos and triple post.

Attachments

• 0224-Tienda Tiene Miga (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0224-Tienda Tiene Miga (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 0225-at Manuel's house (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0225-at Manuel's house (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 0226-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0226-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 0227-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0227-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 0228-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0228-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 0229-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0229-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    144 KB · Views: 45
  • 0230-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0230-municipal albergue (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 0231-Segovia cathedral at night (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    0231-Segovia cathedral at night (Zamarramala, 25.06.14).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 05.Valsain-Zamarramala.gpx
    124.5 KB · Views: 11
What an amazing day! Wonderful photos.
Thanks, Theatregal!
Don't know why but photos taken this year doesn't seems as good as 2011 & 2009 (from CF) to me. It's true that I'm posting mostly those of more informative kind, but ... I've took some with my HTC Desire 500 phone also and I'm not satisfied with them at all. Well, with most of them... There are some blurs in almost every pic on the left side. Maybe the lens was dirty, don't know. Or is it my finger, hahaha.
Hope it'll get better with pics taken in Tierra de Campos and later on Invierno ;)

Thanks anyway!

€83,-
DAY 06 (Thu, 26.06.2014)
ZAMARRAMALA - AÑE (20,81kms)

PART 01

After Zamarramala the scenery changes completely. Almost no uphills, endless fields of cereals, horizon and villages appearing like a mirage. That's my Camino!!!

First there is a little bit of tarmac (photo235) which soon changes to dirt country road. Only 6kms and you're in Valseca (photo238) with two bars (one is right on the main street where Camino comes into the village), pharmacy and small shop (both righthand 20mts down the street). The fuente in small park does not work! Camino continues straight across the main street. If you plan to sleep in municipal albergue I guess you have to ask in Ayuntamiento which is a bit further on overlooking small plaza. Fuente there is working.

Camino (4,7kms) to Los Huertos is even more magical (photos241,242&247). I was kind of sorry not to walk this part (which I did on some of upcoming stages) in late afternoon light. I guess I would just sit down in the middle of the road and… just sit there :)

In Los Huertos is very nice park (photo251) on your right when you cross the bridge. Fuente is working and water is very good. When I was resting there two guys came and were taking samples. I asked if it is OK and they responded with thumbs up. Don't know where the shop mentioned in the guide is (I guess uphill in the village) but the bar is a bit further on in a rundown building on the left. It was closed and I've got impression that it is permanently so. The village was deserted so nobody to ask…

Only 1km out of village is Ermita de Nuestra Señora (photo254) with possibility of shelter in the porch in case of bad weather. Porch doors were opened, but the church was locked. There is a small aperture, window, through which you can see the interior.

After short descend you come to a disused railway (photo257) and walk on it for almost 4kms, then cross it left over the bridge (km16 from Zamarramala, clearly marked) and immediately after that turn sharply and steeply down to the right. I remember one arrow pointing straight on (I think it was on mojon on the left by the road), but ignore it, go right!!! Soon you'll come to Peter Catlow memorial plaque (photo260) which was placed by forum member @bribaby
(http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/peter-catlow.27364/).
I've rested there for a while and got the feeling that Peter is still smiling. Guess he's just OK ;)

To be continued (only 10 uploads per post…)

Attachments

• 0235-tarmac road leaving Zamarramala (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0235-tarmac road leaving Zamarramala (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 0238-Valseca (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0238-Valseca (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 0241-road after Valseca (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0241-road after Valseca (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 0242-iron cross after Valseca (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0242-iron cross after Valseca (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 0247-Los Huertos (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0247-Los Huertos (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 0251-village park in Los Huertos (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0251-village park in Los Huertos (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 0254-Ermita de Nuestra Senora after Los Huertos (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0254-Ermita de Nuestra Senora after Los Huertos (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 0257-disused railroad after Los Huertos (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0257-disused railroad after Los Huertos (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 0260-Peter Catlow memorial plaque (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0260-Peter Catlow memorial plaque (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 06.Zamarramala-Ane.gpx
    139.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
DAY 06 (Thu, 26.06.2014)

PART 02

Peter Catlow's memorial is in first pinario (pine forest) on this Camino. And there will be plenty more :) The place is so quiet and nice that I would like to camp here if that would be my way of doing the Camino. Also the river is close by. Perfect spot!

After short walk through the field you gently ascend for 1,3km through pinario (photo261) with every pine notched for collecting the pine sap (photos263&264). The scent was just intoxicating in light afternoon breeze…

When coming out of the pine forest just continue straight on although I can't remember any arrow. I was just following my nose ;) It's about 2,5kms on a bit overgrown country lane to Añe (photo267). And they have paved promenade from cemetery to the village which is quite common in Spain. But the main road is dirt, easy on the feet.

If you're planning to stay overnight in Añe be aware that only existing bar (in the bulding of Ayuntamiento) is opened only (maybe as I was told) on Saturday evenings and that there is no other option to buy anything. I was calculating that the bar would be opened and I have had no bread so had to buy some from nice lady living next to the bar. Another pleasant experience!

And yes – the keys to the albergue (photo274) you can get at the first house on the left when coming in the village. Just proceed straight on and you'll ge to the albergue. Next morning you leave the keys in mailbox of the house where you've got them, as usual. Albergue is in an old school building, high ceilings, with approx.16 mattresses, few bunk beds, in one large (main) room and one smaller, one shower, one toilet, that's about everything, but it's kind of nice. Needless to say there's no wifi. Very quiet. Just be cautious of bats. I've opened the windows, switched off the lights and enoyed the evening on the porch. After returning inside there was a bat making circles in the dormitory. Uhhhh, what to do? I put light off and on in one minute intervals and then let the bat in the dark. When I returned half an hour later the bat was gone. Of course I closed the windows for the rest of the night :)

Attachments

• 0261-pinario (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0261-pinario (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 0263-pinario (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0263-pinario (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 0264-collecting pine sap in pinario (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0264-collecting pine sap in pinario (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 0267-coming to Ane (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0267-coming to Ane (Zamarramala - Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 0274-municipal albergue (Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    0274-municipal albergue (Ane, 26.06.14).jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thanks for the posts KinkyOne. I have a soft spot concerning Navacerrada (long story) so I recognised where you were when you took the photos before and after having been in the same spots often. Just another note - the mayor of Navacerrada is also a woman. (She lives across the street from a friend whose daughter walks her dog).

DAY 06 (Thu, 26.06.2014)

PART 01

After Zamarramala the scenery changes completely. Almost no uphills, endless fields of cereals, horizon and villages appearing like a mirage. That's my Camino!!!

First there is a little bit of tarmac (photo235) which soon changes to dirt country road. Only 6kms and you're in Valseca (photo238) with two bars (one is right on the main street where Camino comes into the village), pharmacy and small shop (both righthand 20mts down the street). The fuente in small park does not work! Camino continues straight across the main street. If you plan to sleep in municipal albergue I guess you have to ask in Ayuntamiento which is a bit further on overlooking small plaza. Fuente there is working.

Camino (4,7kms) to Los Huertos is even more magical (photos241,242&247). I was kind of sorry not to walk this part (which I did on some of upcoming stages) in late afternoon light. I guess I would just sit down in the middle of the road and… just sit there :)

In Los Huertos is very nice park (photo251) on your right when you cross the bridge. Fuente is working and water is very good. When I was resting there two guys came and were taking samples. I asked if it is OK and they responded with thumbs up. Don't know where the shop mentioned in the guide is (I guess uphill in the village) but the bar is a bit further on in a rundown building on the left. It was closed and I've got impression that it is permanently so. The village was deserted so nobody to ask…

Only 1km out of village is Ermita de Nuestra Señora (photo254) with possibility of shelter in the porch in case of bad weather. Porch doors were opened, but the church was locked. There is a small aperture, window, through which you can see the interior.

After short descend you come to a disused railway (photo257) and walk on it for almost 4kms, then cross it left over the bridge (km16 from Zamarramala, clearly marked) and immediately after that turn sharply and steeply down to the right. I remember one arrow pointing straight on (I think it was on mojon on the left by the road), but ignore it, go right!!! Soon you'll come to Peter Catlow memorial plaque (photo260) which was placed by forum member @bribaby
(http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/peter-catlow.27364/).
I've rested there for a while and got the feeling that Peter is still smiling. Guess he's just OK ;)

Wonderful photos again and I think the one of the iron cross is just so beautiful!

Thanks for the posts KinkyOne. I have a soft spot concerning Navacerrada (long story) so I recognised where you were when you took the photos before and after having been in the same spots often. Just another note - the mayor of Navacerrada is also a woman. (She lives across the street from a friend whose daughter walks her dog).
Thanks! You're welcome, Al!
A lot more to come, but I'm already past Navacerrada :D As I felt it that's more or less kind of a town in which people spend their holidays. Although there's almost no historical center I've found some of the holiday houses quite nice in architectural view.

Wonderful photos again and I think the one of the iron cross is just so beautiful!
Thank you again :)
I have three different shots of that cross. I liked it also, mostly because of the contrast.
And no electric wires in sight :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
KinkyOne thank you so much for these posts. A friend and I are planning to walk this camino in May 2015 and I am busy filling the margins of my guide book with all your handy suggestions and observations.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

KinkyOne thank you so much for these posts. A friend and I are planning to walk this camino in May 2015 and I am busy filling the margins of my guide book with all your handy suggestions and observations.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.
Hey, Alan!

You won't have any problems finding your way after 4 Caminos :) It is true that I'm pointing attention to few spots but otherwise Camino de Madrid is (en general) very good marked.

Ultreia!

DAY 07 (Fri, 27.06.2014)
AÑE – NAVA DE LA ASUNCION (29,69kms)

PART 01

In the morning I first went to the house where day before I've got keys to the albergue and returned them. I rang to get a sello but nobody answered. Guess it was too early for Spain ;) Same story at Ayuntamiento, but there was a van or should I say mobile market at Plaza. Ah, it should be there previous evening…, end the day of walking without a beer is sad, but having a dinner without wine is a tragedy!

This stage starts with walking on tarmac too (photo275) but soon, after 2,5km and left turn, changes to light gravel country road (photo276). 6kms from Añe and after short and gentle uphill with nice views you come to Pinilla Ambroz, where there is fuente and village Plaza with no shade. At first it looked like a gypsy settlement but there are some nicely renovated houses in the village too (photos279&280). If you plan to take a rest there it is most likely that only company you'd have will be a stray dog and some kids, that's it. Almost like coming to a village a moment before a duel on the main street :D

After Pinilla Ambroz path gently descends mostly all the way to the end of this stage. Scenery is like a forerun of later stages (photos282&283). It's 6.5kms to Santa Maria la Real de Nieva although guide says it's 5kms. I think that's mostly because AVE line cut the Camino and you have to walk a bit along it and then cross to the town (photo286 – it's a pic taken in the direction of coming, so Camino is visible on the left and the village is on the right) which adds at least 1km. So alltogether 12,5kms from Añe.

Arrows are plenty and you can't get lost even through the town. I was stopped by a man in the car asking me whether I'm going to stay in the albergue. I guess he was a hospitalero, but it was such a nice day I wanted to go on. I haven't visited the church but did enjoy some shade at Plaza (photos288&290). There are three bars/restaurants, market & post office on/near that Plaza.

Attachments

• 0275-road after Ane (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0275-road after Ane (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 0276-towards Pinilla Ambroz (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0276-towards Pinilla Ambroz (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 0279-coming to Pinilla Ambroz (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0279-coming to Pinilla Ambroz (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 0280-house in Pinilla Ambroz (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0280-house in Pinilla Ambroz (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 0282-look back at Pinilla Ambroz (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0282-look back at Pinilla Ambroz (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 0283-marker before Sta.Maria... (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0283-marker before Sta.Maria... (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 0286-crossing AVE tracks before Sta.Maria... (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0286-crossing AVE tracks before Sta.Maria... (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    311 KB · Views: 35
  • 0288-Iglesia Nustra Senora de la Soterrana in Sta.Maria... (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0288-Iglesia Nustra Senora de la Soterrana in Sta.Maria... (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 0290-central Plaza in Sta.Maria... (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0290-central Plaza in Sta.Maria... (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 07.Ane-Nava de la Asuncion.gpx
    196.7 KB · Views: 8
DAY 07 (Fri, 27.06.2014)
AÑE – NAVA DE LA ASUNCION (29,69kms)

PART 02

When continuing Camino just go straight on (with church on your left) down the main street. Keep right and straight onto overgrown path which I've missed and turned sharp right after old Plaza de Torros. On return I did saw yellow arrow, but the grass was so high that it was hidden in it when I first came. So, again, just keep walking straight on. Even if you stay on the main road that's OK. After a bit more than 3kms you'll pass Nieva (everything was closed when I was there – siesta…) on your left and soon after that veer right into pinario with area del descanso (photos292&293) with working fuente!

Now you'll experience the pinario and troubles walking in them because of the sandy paths. I must say that I've had none, actually it was like a holiday for soles of my feet. If it is bothering you, try to walk few meters off the path. No problems because arrows are plenty. BUT (!!!) 4 kms later I did a stupid thing. The guide clearly says that when coming to sand quarry one should take right. When I came to intersection approx 1km before that quary and in front was heavily overgrown path, I turned left. Mistake!!! I mean mistake for adding 1,5km and for walking almost all of the rest 8kms on tarmac. Auch :oops:

As you can see from my map just walk straight on all the time and when coming to the quary turn right and immediately left when it is possible. Shortly before km28 Camino and my »detour« reconnects.

After 29kms and last 8kms on tarmac I was quite pissed off, but the Camino Angel was there. Of course I've stopped in Pasteleria Rosana (on Camino, plenty of arrows) where I bought credencial from Margerita (photo296), got the sello and information that albergue is full/closed or whatever. She doesn't speaks any English, so I figured out that albergue employees are on some kind of camping with kids. Not sure about that though! She proposed to me to take a bus to Coca which I declined in disgust, hahaha, I mean after almost 30kms I'm going to take a bus ride, come on… Also the hotel was full because it was Friday and Spaniards love their weekend fiestas ;)

In years of working like film director and dealing with lots of different people I have learned that taking a deep breath and drinking cold beer helps a looot. In the time I went to the market and drank one small Mahou, Margerita arranged everything for me. I was sent to Casa de Cultura (photo297) where her friend Conchi (secretary in Casa de C.) was expecting me. An hour later (8PM) a man brought brand new mattress and Conchi took me up to the second floor into one of the classrooms (photo299). (Only cold) shower was across the corridor, I was given the keys to the whole building (»left them in the mailbox in the morning« - I've told you, it is going to happen more often, hahaha) and I was told to be the first person to sleep in their Casa de Cultura EVER!

WOW! And they have certain specialist right across the street (photo300). What else a tired pilgrim could want :p Two markets in the near, few bars/restaurants, Casa de Cultura on Camino, pharmacy, psychiatrist – complete service…

In the evening I have had my dinner by the opened window, with the best wi-fi on my whole Camino and listening ska-punk concert from the bar nearby. The concert was over at 2AM and I've slept like a baby…

Attachments

• 0292-area del descanso after Nieva (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0292-area del descanso after Nieva (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 0293-area del descanso after Nieva (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0293-area del descanso after Nieva (Ane - Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 0296-me & Margarita at her Pasteleria (Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0296-me & Margarita at her Pasteleria (Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    193 KB · Views: 44
  • 0297-Casa de Cultura (Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0297-Casa de Cultura (Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 0299-classroom at Casa de Cultura (Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0299-classroom at Casa de Cultura (Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 0300-view from classroom at Casa de Cultura (Nava de la Asuncion, 28.06.14).jpg
    0300-view from classroom at Casa de Cultura (Nava de la Asuncion, 28.06.14).jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Moving my son back to college and helping him (if he let's me) set up his first apartment. Once back home I will POUR over your details Kinkyone.
I leave for Madrid two weeks from today!

Moving my son back to college and helping him (if he let's me) set up his first apartment. Once back home I will POUR over your details Kinkyone.
I leave for Madrid two weeks from today!
I know, Pam, I know, but you should let him go on his own way ;)
Been there, done that.
After that you'll have wonderful Camino!!!

€149,-
Thanks! You're welcome, Al!
A lot more to come, but I'm already past Navacerrada :D As I felt it that's more or less kind of a town in which people spend their holidays. Although there's almost no historical center I've found some of the holiday houses quite nice in architectural view.
It is a relatively new town and a lot of the accommodation is owned by weekend/summer people from Madrid and in the ski season people using the ski station up on la Puerta come to stay/eat. But there is a lot of nice walking around the place. Your mistake on entering by going along the road to the island and turning left missed a better walk through a small forest but joins the route you took near the police station you passed. BTW at that island if you continue straight on the road ahead it joins the camino at the top of the village where you crossed the road on your exit. The road to the right at that island has lovely walks up to La Maliciosa mountain and from there you can traverse the other mountains to arrive at the start of Camino Smith at Puerta del Navacerrada.

DAY 08 (Sat, 28.06.2014)
NAVA DE LA ASUNCION - VILLEGUILLO (18,37kms)

PART 01

I've started quite late because I was waiting for the farmacy to open at 10. It's Spain and I like it ;)

Leaving Nava there is nicely painted house and on one of the last houses in the town I guess it's kind of a birthday present. You decide (photos307&308). Interesting…

First 4kms is along the sandy fields. I simply don't understand how can anything grow on those fields, but it does, even without irrigation (photo309). Well, this one was really kind of poor, but that wasn't the case all through the country.

After that Camino goes through pinario for 5kms. Really lovely walk especially in 30C+ temperatures. And you can see special conchas/estrellas in form of TV antenas? (photo312) a bit before entering Coca. Albergue in Coca (don't try to buy it, they don't have it, Colombia is the target…) is righthand at crossing main street (photos313&314).

In Coca there is nice Plaza and Church of Santa Maria la Mayor. Some bars, but all were closed. The market is down the street when church is on your left, which is actually back from where you come. If you want to see famous Fonseca Castillo you better ask for direction, because there aren't any markers for that. At least I haven't seen any and I proceed through village thinking that the Castillo must be somewhere on Camino. I would expect warning from guidebook (that's why I like Brierley, he has everything covered!), but there is none in CSJ. So I've missed it because it is on the other side of the village which I discovered too late to convince myself to retrace (photos320,321&323).

Attachments

• 0307-leaving Nava... (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0307-leaving Nava... (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 0308-birthday present (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0308-birthday present (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    268 KB · Views: 35
  • 0309-sand field (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0309-sand field (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 0312-estrella on the way to Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0312-estrella on the way to Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 0313-Coca Albergue (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0313-Coca Albergue (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 0314-Coca Albergue (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0314-Coca Albergue (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 0320-Torre de San Nicolas in Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0320-Torre de San Nicolas in Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 0321-Castillo de Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0321-Castillo de Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 0323-Castillo de Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0323-Castillo de Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 08.Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo.gpx
    123 KB · Views: 6
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
DAY 08 (Sat, 28.06.2014)
NAVA DE LA ASUNCION - VILLEGUILLO (18,37kms)

PART 02

Leaving Coca (no problems with waymarkings) is nice again. OK, right after Coca down and up the ravine but then it is flat again. Some nice views (photo325) and after 7,5kms you're in Villeguillo. Maybe it is dragging a little bit along sandy fields (photo326) and in no time and orientation effort you come to the village (photo330) which looks like another of that villages waiting for »duel at high noon«.

First I came to local bar which is also Centro Social and there were about 20 elderly people shouting fiercely when playing cards. Very interesting and funny, no photo could depict that… But there was a very special lady (they've told me), dressed at the best with three rings on every finger, that came for a coffee and (later) beer. I've had one of the funniest moments on whole Camino when bar owner was teaching her how to use her smart phone, hillarious…..(photo332). On the photo is also the Iglesia San Pedro Apostol with basketball amenities on the wall ;)

In the bar (reportedly very good food but haven't tried it) they can tell you where to ring the bell for the keys to albergue. Well, it's on the main street. Hospitalero Pedro is very nice, albergue is like new, fully equiped, on the edge of village, the coolest village!!! (photos333,334&335) Albergue is 5€. Even »his highness John Brierley« slept here ;) (photo336).

I simply have to add two more of my photos. Evening etc… (photos337&344).

Attachments

• 0325-opposite riverbank after Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0325-opposite riverbank after Coca (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 0326-sandy field before Villeguillo (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0326-sandy field before Villeguillo (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 0330-entering Villeguillo (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0330-entering Villeguillo (Nava de la Asuncion-Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 0332-Iglesia San Pedro Apostol & Bar + Centro Social (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0332-Iglesia San Pedro Apostol & Bar + Centro Social (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 0333-Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0333-Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 0334-Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0334-Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 0335-Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0335-Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 0336-John Brierley's signature at Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0336-John Brierley's signature at Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 0337-Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0337-Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 0344-evening at Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    0344-evening at Albergue municipal (Villeguillo, 28.06.14).jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 33
It is a relatively new town and a lot of the accommodation is owned by weekend/summer people from Madrid and in the ski season people using the ski station up on la Puerta come to stay/eat. But there is a lot of nice walking around the place. Your mistake on entering by going along the road to the island and turning left missed a better walk through a small forest but joins the route you took near the police station you passed. BTW at that island if you continue straight on the road ahead it joins the camino at the top of the village where you crossed the road on your exit. The road to the right at that island has lovely walks up to La Maliciosa mountain and from there you can traverse the other mountains to arrive at the start of Camino Smith at Puerta del Navacerrada.

Yes, Navacerrada - Valle de la Barranca - Maliciosa- Bola del Mundo - Puerto de Navacerrada- Camino Shmidt - Alto de la Fuenfria.

DAY 09 (Sun, 29.06.2014)
VILLEGUILLO - ALCAZAREN (19,66kms)

Yesterday's evening turned into night in the company of interesting villagers in the bar. So I've started this stage very leisurly at 11AM…

First 4kms Camino runs through open Tierra de Campos and afterwards enters pinario for next 5+kms (photos347&348). When coming to CL-602 the guide recommends going straight over it towards Valviadero. Other option is to go right, over rio Eresma and left, but is not recommended because of walking on sandy path through pinario. I didn't find walking in pinarios very difficult as I've already mentioned and in case of doing Camino de Madrid again I would take this option. I think the distance is about the same.

As said I took the light gravel road towards Valviadero which wasn't really easy to walk on in some parts because they have these huge irrigation devices that runs in circles which can be easily seen on map. After some rain in previous days walking that road was like a rodeo because of deep tractor and other machinery tracks.

On km12+ from Villeguillo you reach Valviadero which is no longer uninhabited (photos351&353) as stated in guidebook. Also it is not on your left side when passing it, it's on the right! I entered the village and saw restored house, nicely trimmed loan in front, with swimming-pool and small vintage steam locomotive in the middle of village but I've heard some fierce dog barking and returned to the Camino J

A few hundred meters later a car stopped and very nice elderly couple wanted to know if I was a pilgrim, from where, going to where etc. Later they drove inside the village so I assumed they owned the restored house. So now there is a possibility to get some water on this almost 20kms stage.

Next 4,5kms to N-601 runs through fields and later through pinario. When coming to the auto road turn right. You may as well stay on the right side of it for 2kms, because it veers right into Alcazaren where church of San Pedro welcomes you (photo356).

When you come to a plaza with fountain you can turn left for Municipal albergue. On your left will be Bar Duran but you turn right and over big parking lot there it is on your left. But before that you have to get the key from Bar Real which is further down the street which runs right side of plaza with fountain (less than 100mts) on your left. Very friendly, not expensive, with wi-fi (albergue doesn't have it). Albergue is donativo, with 8 beds in bunks, small kitchen with microwave oven and fridge, shower and WC are together so you really have to mop after showering. Small patio at the rear but plenty of space in front of albergue (photos362-366 in next post).

Camino runs down the street from Bar Real. Soon there is Plaza Mayor with Iglesia Santiago Apostol to the right (photo359 in next post), where you can find opened kiosko until 8PM even on Sundays. It's right across the plaza from entrance to the church.

Attachments

• 0347-cereal field in pinario (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0347-cereal field in pinario (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 0348-mojon in pinario (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0348-mojon in pinario (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 0351-Valviadero (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0351-Valviadero (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 0353-Valviadero (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0353-Valviadero (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 0356-Iglesia San Pedro (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0356-Iglesia San Pedro (Villeguillo-Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 09.Villeguillo-Alcazaren.gpx
    129.5 KB · Views: 4

Attachments

• 0362-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0362-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    174 KB · Views: 42
  • 0363-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0363-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 0364-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0364-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 0365-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0365-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 0366-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0366-Albergue municipal (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 0359-Plaza Mayor with Iglesia Santiago Apostol (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    0359-Plaza Mayor with Iglesia Santiago Apostol (Alcazaren, 29.06.14).jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 35
Whoah Kinky!
Great thread!
I plan on going back this year and picking up the sections I missed.
This is now one of my favorite routes.
Glad you enjoyed it as well!

DAY 10 (Mon, 30.06.2014)
ALCAZAREN – PUENTE DUERO (27,01kms)

I was the only peregrino in albergue and nobody was throwing me out at 8 so I took the opportunity and allowed myself long sleep and slow start. At 10AM I stopped by (closed) Bar Real, had a breakfast and checked my e-mails using their wi-fi. Usually bars and albergues (if they have one) switch off their router once they close the place or go to sleep but here it was working well even on the street. The town was still asleep. I left keys on the window shelve of the bar as instructed and off I went.

After 3kms of straight path through fields you enter pinario (photo371). 2kms later you come to Brazuelas, a complex of farmhouses etc. As CSJ guide says that is the mid-point beetwen Madrid and Sahagun and is marked by »a modern pilgrim Cruceiro with Jacobean sculptures………..«. I must admit I haven't seen anything like this. Would be nice if some of you future pilgrims will take a photo of that.

From here to VA-403 is less than 4kms through pine forest with rio Eresma in sight on your left. Once you come to the road go left over the river. In case of need there is Mojados 5kms to the right and Matapozuelos 4kms to the left, both on VA-403. Soon after crossing the river Camino turns right into fields again (photo372) and a little before km12 (cummulative from Alcazaren) there is very nice rest area by rio Adaja (photos373&374). It was completely deserted and I was a bit sorry I've started so late from Alcazaren otherwise I would surely cool myself in that water.

Go over the low bridge and turn right at the fork (photo375), it is clearly marked. On your right is Sieteiglesias Hermitage. The path to Valdestillas is almost straight and through the fields for another 4,5kms (photo376). On the main plaza in Valdestillas there is a welcoming bar with snacks and wi-fi (photo378 ;)).

Another 10,5kms to Puente Duero runs along VA-VP-9003 and was for me the most unpleasant part of Camino de Madrid. No wonder I haven't take a single photo on that stretch… Also my blister started to develop again.

Before you reach the old bridge in Puente Duero on your left is a bar and arrows for Albergue pointing left. You'll recognize albergue easily on your right in the street with family houses (photos381-383 – in next post). Again I was the only pilgrim there and was heartily welcomed by Rocio (common femal name in Andalucia) from Valladolid who is a hospitalera voluntaria. Albergue has two dormitories (4+3 beds), living room and a kitchen with dinning table (photos384-387 – in next post, sorry for the quality). After shower I went to village center where Kiosko was opened on the left side of long main plaza and bought some beer and food for tomorrow. Later I would easily enjoyed big open patio for hours, but rain began to fall so I went inside where the dinner prepared by Rocio was waiting. Fresh tortilla, mixed salad and grilled pimientos with garlic – yummy! After dinner we chatted for two hours which was kind of interesting with my Spanish and her English :)

Very nice experience in this albergue and I agree with Max Long that it is not to be missed. Albergue is run on donativo base, but the box is almost hidden in the living room, so ask hospitalero where it is.

Attachments

• 0371-through pinario (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0371-through pinario (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 0372-stone gates (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0372-stone gates (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    285 KB · Views: 32
  • 0373-rest area at Sieteiglesias (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0373-rest area at Sieteiglesias (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 0374-Rio Adajo after rest area at Sieteiglesias (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0374-Rio Adajo after rest area at Sieteiglesias (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 0375-intersection after rest area at Sieteiglesias (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0375-intersection after rest area at Sieteiglesias (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 0376-road to Valdestillas (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0376-road to Valdestillas (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 0378-resting in Valdestillas (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0378-resting in Valdestillas (Alcazaren-Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 10.Alcazaren-Puente Duero.gpx
    176.3 KB · Views: 4

Attachments

• 0381-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0381-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 0382-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0382-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 0383-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0383-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 0384-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0384-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 0385-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0385-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 0387-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    0387-Albergue (Puente Duero, 30.06.14).jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 40
Oh, I´m very faithful too, KinkyOne. ;) I was so happy to see the bucket in the background of the Alcazaren albergue (no. 365). When I was there, the building was new, the beds were new, but the place was a dirty mess. And there was no equipment for us to clean with. Others had said they seemed to have cleaned the place up, is the key still in the bar-restaurant?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back