• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding a backpack for 2 purposes

amystewart

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte (2013)
Hello, so I am planning on walking the Camino del Norte in late August and in search for a backpack. However, I am also going to be doing a month before travelling through the rest of Europe. I will need more clothes and toiletries when I backpack in the beginning through Europe and do not want as small as a backpack as I will need for the camino.
Has anyone ever done this before and if so how did you get a backpack for it? I am guessing I can put my extra luggage in a locker at a bus station or something when I do the camino, but did people buy 2 backpacks for this? One larger for my first month through Europe and then a smaller one for the camino? Or do I use the larger one and then keep it more empty when I am doing the pilgrimage? This question might keep kind of silly, but I am kind of stuck in what to do in this situation.

I will take any suggestions, thanks 8)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm in a similar situation. I'm taking a 50L Gregory Jade pack which is big enough that I can pack things for the rest of my trip. I'm then going to send it to Ivar in Santiago for storage. Check out the topic RE: luggage storage in Santiago in 2013 that's pinned at the top of the discussion boards for more info on that.

I wouldn't bother bringing two packs, sounds like a lot of hassle to me! I just have to pack smart because 50L still doesn't leave me a lot of space. Bring dresses! :p Light and small. That's what I'm doing, anyway.

Good luck!
Lindsey

I have not felt the need for "more" stuff for travelling than I needed for the Camino. Sure, if you want to take an evening dress and heels or something like that, then you could always post it home before you start walking - but even that will still fit in a 35l pack with your two changes of camino clothes!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks! I will definitely be bringing some light dresses and skirts to save space, but 50L seems a little bit too big for me. I am thinking of packing a 30L backpack into a suitcase with the rest of my camino and europe stuff and then send my suitcase and extra luggage to santiago to meet me when I finish. Thanks for your advice. I am definitely going to use the luggage storage. Good luck on your trip!

A good pack even if bigger will be easier to carry then a smaller full pack.

Gregory makes good packs intended to be used. Including models for women. Get a pack that fits you.

All this means go to a good shop with helpful staff and have them show you the options.

When we travel in and out of a place (like Madrid or Paris), we carry a very lightweight duffle bag with some extras and leave it at the hotel to be retrieved later. And since our hiking poles needed to be checked anyway, this worked fine. However, sometimes we don't fly in and out of the same place and so we carry the duffle bag (which weighs only ounces) in the backpack.
As far as clothing for "dress up," ever thing I need is also part of my Camino packlist. I have a pair of black suede Mephisto sandals (1 pound) that look dressy and are comfortable for walking around town. I have a light-weight skirt, an extra blouse/top, and the full-slip (that I sleep in. I have a Smartwool top (base layer) that is black and so I can wear it just as you would a sweater. A scarf and earrings complete my outfit.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....
please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back