• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding a walking companion

nomad7890

Are there local pilgrim gatherings that plan a Camino together? I live in Central Florida and I really do not want to walk alone. Possibly the first time I'm thinking of leaving from Leon. Any groups of pilgrims meeting near Central Florida who are planning to walk next year? (I am already planning to attend the event in San Pedro).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your response Falcon. I have been to many of the places where the Camino goes thru in Spain (I am member nomad7890 in the virtualtourist.com site) - and one thing I do know is that as a woman traveling alone, I will not get into a secluded road by myself. I have spokien to many pilgrims along the way (last two ladies in the train Valencia-Teruel this last September) and I'm eager to walk next year, however although I travel alone mostly, I don't wonder off by myself.

Being part of a large travel online community, I am also aware that I will need to get to know whoever I'm walking with a little first. I know in the Camino you make friends of perfect strangers, but for instance, in the bus from San Vicente de la Barquera to Comillas this year there was a crazy guy trying to pass as a pilgrim asking for money - headed for the albergue in Comillas. Would not want to run into him alone. It would, however, be great if people could form a walking group - even, as you mention, if we don't all finish together.

Regards, Martha

nomad7890 said:
Are there local pilgrim gatherings that plan a Camino together? I live in Central Florida and I really do not want to walk alone. Possibly the first time I'm thinking of leaving from Leon. Any groups of pilgrims meeting near Central Florida who are planning to walk next year? (I am already planning to attend the event in San Pedro).

Hello nomad7890!

I live in Central Florida as well and I'm planning on starting El Camino Francés from St Jean Pied-de-Port in the middle of May 2010, I will also attend the APOC gathering at San Pedro in March. Even though you're planning on starting in León, hopefully our paths would meet there once you start.

¡Buen Camino! :arrow:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I finished the Camino in October ( started in Pamplona) walking "alone". You meet so many wonderful people along the way, that you are never really alone. I guess another way to put it, is , you are alone as you want to be. There always seems to someone to walk with if you so choose. There were many stretches where I walked alone with no one in sight, and yet, I was never (not once) concerned for my safety. Next year will be a holy year, so there will be even more pilgrims traveling. I'm sure you will find exactly what you need along the way.

Buen Camino!

Hi Martha,
I can understand your initial trepidation. It is common among first time pilgrims.

Wanting to get to know a traveling partner before you begin makes good sense, but it is a little difficult, with pilgrims coming from all over the world.

If you are worried about walking with a nut-ball, and have dificulty meeting a suitable partner online, then I suggest you be sure to stay in Albergues, and prepare to leave between 7:00 and 7:30 in the morning. Many pilgrims start their day at that time. You can just tag a long when a flock of 6 to 10 leave within a few minutes of each other.

It will work out fine.
Good Luck,
David, Victoria, Canada.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi- Can you tell me more about the event in San Pedro in March? Where is San Pedro? I am planning to do the pilgrimage in April and would like to know if there is anyone whi would like to have a walking companion. I live in Los Angeles.

I would like to suggest to those who seek to find a walking companion before they begin their camino, that they should first establish the ground rules that will apply during their walk. It will only cause tension if you find that you have different expectations once you have begun. For instance, if one is working on a strict budget and has to eat the cheaper peregrino meals and sleep in albergues, and the other wish to eat of the local cuisine and stay in hotels regardless of cost, there will be disharmony. Similarly, if you are determined to walk the entire distance, but your companion want to take buses, taxis etc. when they feel like it. Sit down before you start and ensure that all parties understand each walkers desires for the camino, and discuss what will happen in various scenarios.

Or else start on your own and very soon meet up with new friends who will understand that you have your own individual agenda and need to do your own thing. I am planning to walk the Via del la Plata on my own beginning early April next year, and spending Good Friday in Salamanca. I have not yet spent Easter in Spain, and am much looking forward to it.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hi nomad7890

Take this in consideration:
walking faster than your own natural speed might induce injuries, walking slower brings boredom and/or forces your companion to walk faster than his own natural speed.
So my advice is: find a walking mate that walks the same natural speed as you do. Find him/her on the Camino, there will be plenty.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.