• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding my feet on CF. First time and Solo.

Tp3660

TraceP
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Hi all, Im Tracey. Will take my first steps on my first Camino from Leon on May 17 and fast becoming a reality. A little daunting at the moment as my two year plan to become 'camino ready' is rapidly dissolving before my eyes. I am walking to find my passion. At 52 I have discovered it gone and find that I have forgotten even who I am anymore. The idea of this pilgrimage has snuck into my soul and is sending me to Spain.I am so thankful for this forum and have been reading threads with great interest and gaining such wonderful insights but discovered i never introduced myself. I have booked my first night in Leon as I am travelling alone and need a little security and a night in SDC on 6th June so just need to make my way between. Those are the only plans. I have bought a small backpack Will take 'minimum stuff ' Not sure if I can carry my bag or have it transported. Not sure if my body will make it but I intend on starting and placing one foor after the other.
The most reassuring message this forum has delivered is that 'the camino will provide'. Thank you so much for being there. I love this forum!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino Tracey,
Prior to my first Camino last year, I'd heard and wondered at the phrase ''the Camino will provide'',
and boy did it provide on countless occasions. I am envious that you are awaiting your first trip.
Best wishes
Davie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome @Tp3660 - I hope you have a wonderful Camino - and are enjoying the anticipation. Stay in touch!

Hi all, Im Tracey. Will take my first steps on my first Camino from Leon on May 17 and fast becoming a reality. A little daunting at the moment as my two year plan to become 'camino ready' is rapidly dissolving before my eyes. I am walking to find my passion. At 52 I have discovered it gone and find that I have forgotten even who I am anymore. The idea of this pilgrimage has snuck into my soul and is sending me to Spain.I am so thankful for this forum and have been reading threads with great interest and gaining such wonderful insights but discovered i never introduced myself. I have booked my first night in Leon as I am travelling alone and need a little security and a night in SDC on 6th June so just need to make my way between. Those are the only plans. I have bought a small backpack Will take 'minimum stuff ' Not sure if I can carry my bag or have it transported. Not sure if my body will make it but I intend on starting and placing one foor after the other.
The most reassuring message this forum has delivered is that 'the camino will provide'. Thank you so much for being there. I love this forum!!!
What a lovely post full of hope and excitement, I hope you find what you seek but most of all the parts of you that you feel you've lost. However little you pack once on the Camino it will seem too much, I learnt this the hard way posting 1.5 kg home after two weeks on the path.... I'll probably make cexactly the same mistake the next time I rejoin the path but I'll forgive myself.

Buen Camino, Tracey!
That was my first Camino and it was perfect--long enough to give time to 'dive in,' but short enough so that the thought of doing it isn't overwhelming. I hope you find it so, too!
You will come back a different person than you went--that's always true, but especially so for the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tracey
You are going to love the Camino. I walked it in October 2013. All the months and months of preparation never prepared me for the Camino!
Don't even stress one bit about carrying your pack. If you find you can't manage just arrange to have it sent on to where you will be staying - book ahead though. The key to your backpack is do not over pack. I got my pack down to 6kg and then I had too much. Having walked the Camino before I now know what I could leave behind. Factor in carrying water. A litre bottle of water weighs a kilogram so if you carry two litres then that is two more kgs, however, the pack will get lighter as the day goes on.

I ended up tossing my water bottles in the bin and just bought water when I got to a new town. Whilst refilling is easy you do have to wash your bottle out with hot soapy water every day otherwise you can get bacteria in the bottle which can cause a nasty case of gastro if one is not careful.

SDC has loads of accommodation and if you look at booking.com you have a range of really good hostals too. I booked a hostal for my first night that I arrived in SDC because I wanted a little luxury. It was on 49 euro.

Have fun on the Camino.

Kate

At 51, from the time I had the call from the Camino to setting foot in Spain, I had about a month of training. Three months before leaving I was obese and barely exercising. Before even having an inkling of doing the Camino, at the end of June, I embarked on a weight loss program and started walking every day. It was at the beginning of August that plans were being made for a Camino starting mid-September. It was a phenomenal experience, a turning point in my life. A new life has begun for me. I still have plenty of weight to lose and I am working on it. All this to say that age or even training does not define how well you fare on the Camino. It's how you approach it that does. With an open mind and heart you can do wonderful things. I did do some training with long walks and hikes with my fully loaded pack. However it did not fully prepare me for the day after day of walking. It was tough and yet delightful. My 10kg pack became a part of me. I was free of constraints and could let myself follow a rhythm that was mine alone.
Buen Camino! You'll be fine

P.S. I guess having such a short time between the call and the flight out did not give me too much time to stress about it.:rolleyes:;):D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At 51, from the time I had the call from the Camino to setting foot in Spain, I had about a month of training. Three months before leaving I was obese and barely exercising. Before even having an inkling of doing the Camino, at the end of June, I embarked on a weight loss program and started walking every day. It was at the beginning of August that plans were being made for a Camino starting mid-September. It was a phenomenal experience, a turning point in my life. A new life has begun for me. I still have plenty of weight to lose and I am working on it. All this to say that age or even training does not define how well you fare on the Camino. It's how you approach it that does. With an open mind and heart you can do wonderful things. I did do some training with long walks and hikes with my fully loaded pack. However it did not fully prepare me for the day after day of walking. It was tough and yet delightful. My 10kg pack became a part of me. I was free of constraints and could let myself follow a rhythm that was mine alone.
Buen Camino! You'll be fine

P.S. I guess having such a short time between the call and the flight out did not give me too much time to stress about it.:rolleyes:;):D
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.