• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

finish when i want to

yorkshirepilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances september-october 2015
Hello i am new to the forum and with so many posts to read through im getting a bit confused,
so i hope you dont mind if i just ask..
I dont have any time limit to stick to and just intend to set off walking and get to Santiago when i eventually get there ,wether it takes 40 days,60 days or more it does not really matter to me as long as i complete it,
Is it ok to do it like this ?
thanks for your time
allan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello i am new to the forum and with so many posts to read through im getting a bit confused,
I dont have any time limit to stick to and just intend to set off walking and get to Santiago when i eventually get there ,wether it takes 40 days,60 days or more it does not really matter to me as long as i complete it,
thanks for your time
allan

Yes, you lucky thing!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Allan, it is very very okay to do it like this, take all the time you want & eventually get to Santiago. Why would it not be ? Buen Camino !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Allan, welcome to the forum!

It's perfectly OK to make as you quote. There's no timeset to make a camino, just walk a bit each day till you arrive and make as many rest stops as you feel necessary along the route.

Thank you all for your replies,
Hopefully i will be setting of from St Jean late September, i will take it all one step at a time
again thank you for your encouraging replies

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would love to have had that flexibility. It seems like a great way to do it

Hi Dave
Time is about the only thing i have plenty of at this time in my life
Due to circumstances 5 years ago i ended up having a break down and lost my job ,home and family,following that i went off the tracks bigtime, alcohol,bad company etc,then i had one medical problem after another on top of it all to try and deal with ,depression,diabetes,thyroid,arthritis..it all came within a couple of years,
now things are different ,not drunk for 4 years,quit smoking recently ,getting back on track mentally ,thyroid and diabetes managed with tablets,,the arthritis is a pain literally but i get by , Then i heard about the camino,yes ive watched the films ,read books watched videos on youtube seen those saying good stuff,bad stuff and those indifferent and didnt really think about doing it myself..
then recently it just came to me that "i have to do this" why i dont know but i have to ,maybe i will find the answers during or at the end ..but one thing its given me a new look upon things and a way to hopefully begin afresh.
Im also quite lucky baby brother lives in valencia and my parents will be driving from the uk to visit him in september so persuaded them to divert a little and drop me off at st jean,

Last edited:
thanks for your time
allan

Welcome Allan, I think that is the best way to do it; just take each day as it comes and arrive when you get there.

Buen Camino!

thanks for your time
allan

YES!
It's the best way to do it.
With this attitude, you are sure to have a Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Allan and welcome. It sounds like you have found just the thing for the time in your life right now.
What a ‘gift' that you have time to enjoy your camino. Don’t be afraid to take detours and visit some of the places near (not on) the actual camino. One of the regrets of my first camino is that I had a return flight booked very close arrival in Santiago. It didn’t leave me much spare time for meandering.
I’ve learnt now to space my walking out and allow plenty of ‘flexible’ time. I wish you all the best and know that the people you meet and places you discover will enrich your experience. Buen camino

Hi Dave
Time is about the only thing i have plenty of at this time in my life
Due to circumstances 5 years ago i ended up having a break down and lost my job ,home and family,following that i went off the tracks bigtime, alcohol,bad company etc,then i had one medical problem after another on top of it all to try and deal with ,depression,diabetes,thyroid,arthritis..it all came within a couple of years,
now things are different ,not drunk for 4 years,quit smoking recently ,getting back on track mentally ,thyroid and diabetes managed with tablets,,the arthritis is a pain literally but i get by , Then i heard about the camino,yes ive watched the films ,read books watched videos on youtube seen those saying good stuff,bad stuff and those indifferent and didnt really think about doing it myself..
then recently it just came to me that "i have to do this" why i dont know but i have to ,maybe i will find the answers during or at the end ..but one thing its given me a new look upon things and a way to hopefully begin afresh.
Im also quite lucky baby brother lives in valencia and my parents will be driving from the uk to visit him in september so persuaded them to divert a little and drop me off at st jean,

Ahhh! You got the calling. Many of us can relate. A bit of advice- don't try to "find the answers" just put one foot in front of the other and enjoy the moment. I tried to find the answers on my first camino and finally realized I was trying to hard. Eventually realized I was focused on the wrong questions. As you will hear...the camino provides what you need not necessarily what you want. Sometimes it takes a while after you get home to process it all. I am so happy for you. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
thanks for your time
allan
Hi Allan, that is no problem. Your lucky that you can do it like this. I did it this year in 37 day's, for me was this nice and steady. I am still working so a leave from work for 6 weeks is the limit.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Enjoy, or take in on the more difficîult days, every step. You are blessed to have the opportunity to walk how you want, when you want to where you,want. May this Camino bring you what you are searching for and that you didn't know you were searching for.

Great advice already. What a gift to have the time to do it at exactly your own pace! Live in the day, take things as they come, and you'll have a truly enriching experience. On a practical level, be prepared for the onset of winter if your Camino extends beyond October. You can top up your kit in major towns along the way if necessary, but you may not have the choice you would at home. Also remember that albergues usually only allow one night's accommodation, so you'll have to stay in a hostal/hotel if you want to linger longer in the same town. But the truth is, you're doing it the way many of us would love to do it, so enjoy everything it sends you! Buen Camino!

Also, don't feel that you have to finish this year. If health problems get too big, you are allowed to take a break and keep on walking another year. And this is NOT failure - just walking, not arriving, is (in my opinion) the main point.

I wish you a wonderful walk!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks for your time
allan
This is exactly what I want to do Allan.... take my time, walk as far or as little as I can each day, go visit some off Camino places, linger in some of the interesting towns. But what do people do re their return flights home in these circumstances? Do you book a return flight allowing say 60 days, or just arrive in France/Spain on a one way ticket and buy the return ticket when you're good and ready to go home?

Allan,

Quod lux Caeli sit ab Itinere. The light of Heaven is on the Way.

Mooncat

This is exactly what I want to do Allan.... take my time, walk as far or as little as I can each day, go visit some off Camino places, linger in some of the interesting towns. But what do people do re their return flights home in these circumstances? Do you book a return flight allowing say 60 days, or just arrive in France/Spain on a one way ticket and buy the return ticket when you're good and ready to go home?
HI KerrieG. This really depends on where you have to get back to, and individual circumstances.
For long haul flights you can sometimes get an open ticket, but others know more about those than I do.
For flights within Europe it may be worth booking a return flight before you even start based upon your best guess of when you'll arrive. With flights to London (for example) sometimes as little as £35 it's not the end of the world if you miss it but will save a lot of money if you can catch it. Alternatively you can book part way through your Camino when you have a better idea of your progress but still might get a decent price. Waiting until you arrive is likely to be the most expensive option, but on the plus side you know exactly when you want to travel so may avoid unnecessary accommodation costs 'hanging around' for a pre-booked flight.
In any case, be clear what your options are. Routes from Santiago are fairly limited (if flying to the UK it's usually London Stansted with Ryanair only). If that's expensive you will have to change somewhere. Even at short notice internal flights with Ryanair can be cheap to popular places like Barcelona, Palma or Alicante, from where you might get a bargain flight home.
If you do find yourself in Santiago with a few days to spare, that's great - it's a lovely city. If you have a week to spare walk on to Finisterre, which is a lovely walk and will also keep accommodation costs down!
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@KerrieG what I do is buy a return ticket (I'm from Sydney) to Madrid or Paris. I have walked the CF 3 times now from SJPDP to SDC and it has never taken as long as 60 days, even trying! So you should be fine with that schedule. But if it concerns you pay a few dollars more and get a flexible or semi flexible ticket. I've just bought a ticket on Emirates and it is $50 to alter my flights, so no big deal. It is also possible to buy a ticket that allows you to fly into Paris and fly out from Madrid.

When we finished walking the Norte in June this year we had two weeks before our return trip. Rather than go home early we hired a car and had a great time touring Galicia.

Changing a ticket itinerary has become extremely expensive and inconvenient, so try to guess your departure date accurately. I had a ticket with Iberia that was supposed to allow me to change the departure date for $250. It was a lie. The only change at that price was for the same day of the week on the same flight. They had changed their routings, and no such flight existed any longer! Read the fine print...

Great information and advice @Kanga, thank you! - Have you walked to Finisterre Kanga? What is the longest it has taken you - including Finisterre (if you've done that)?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great information and advice @Kanga, thank you! - Have you walked to Finisterre Kanga? What is the longest it has taken you - including Finisterre (if you've done that)?
Fisterra is typically three days, but the recent addition of some albergues has made a more leisurely four days quite possible.

@KerrieG it takes me about 36 to 38 days from SJPDP to SDC. I also allow a full week (7 days) to travel to and from the Camino - I'm jet lagged and brain fogged when I first arrive so try to get a decent sleep and travel to the start in a fairly leisurely way. I've never walked to Finisterre; Santiago has always seemed the right place for me to finish.

@falcon269 is right that you have to read the fine print on the ticket but I've had no problem with direct flights (no stopovers) and paying a bit extra for the flexible ticket. If you have a stopover it gets more expensive because they charge a fee for each leg that is altered. If I have an uncomplicated itinerary I book directly with the airline, over the phone. Those advertised "cheap" prices via various travel agents and internet services are a myth - and end up costing just as much. The price varies hugely depending on the day of the week I am travelling. Tuesdays is a good day to pick!

Hello,,yet again i am personally quite fortunate with this fisrtly i will be getting a lift from the UK to St Jean with my parents who are travelling to visit family in Spain,(70 and they still like long drives)
Then when i finish my camino i wont be heading straight back to the uk,i will be heading east across Spain to go and spend some time with my brother and his family who live near Valencia,this i will be doing it by mechanical means maybe by coach ,when its time to face the inevitable and return to the UK i will just get on one of the cheapo airlines and fly back ..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thanks for your time
allan
Alan, that is my plan also, starting next May. I think what I will do about flights is get a return ticket for longer than I am anticipating the camino may take for me (maybe 2-1/2 to 3 months.) Then, if I finish early, I will see some more of Spain. Or, if I feel the need to return sooner, will try to move my ticket up. I don't want to stress about this.

Well its a month since i joined this great forum, in just 3 days i will be heading off from home on route to SJPP hopefully arriving sometime Friday the 18th,,
Like i have seen others write "i am excited but also very anxious".... anxious ?? im petrified.
I now know my limitations and as such i will be taking the Valcarlos route and even then i may stay on the road until i get to Roncesvalles and then i will see how i am managing and re assess things,
As people keep saying one step at a time :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well its a month since i joined this great forum, in just 3 days i will be heading off from home on route to SJPP hopefully arriving sometime Friday the 18th,,
Like i have seen others write "i am excited but also very anxious".... anxious ?? im petrified.
I now know my limitations and as such i will be taking the Valcarlos route and even then i may stay on the road until i get to Roncesvalles and then i will see how i am managing and re assess things,
Hi Allan, you will do just fine. As you stated yourself, one step at the time.
Have fun and a Buen Camino, Peter.

wishing you the very best of luck,wish i was starting out again,It may sound like easy advice to some but try not to over think or look too far ahead i always find that stressful to the point of saying "no its too much or too big "one step and one village a day approach has worked for me , take care and enjoy,

Buen Camino, Allan! Yes, one step at a time. Remember that reaching Roncesvalles (by any route) is one of the 'big' stages of the whole Camino. Once that is achieved there's nothing about the route itself that will stop you if keep your end of the bargain!:) Safe travels!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please accept my apologies for not following up with how i did on my journey,
I'll keep this short
I set off from SJPP on the 18th of September and finished in Santiago on the 25th of October (2 break days)
How did i find it well it was a very mixed experience with ups and downs both mental and physical and literally (hills why so many hills ?) But having said that i wouldnt change it for anything , I experienced so many new things and people along the way that i would never have done if i had just stayed at home sat on my backside , I have made many new friends ,some i have no contact details for and would like to keep in contact with so the following people if you are reading this please message me Devin and Cassie the newly weds from the USA ... Bob from Pugwash Canada, Johanna from California ?
I have returned home a changed person ,Yes my knees are mullered but they were bad before i set off so that was to be expected ,its no big deal i can get some new ones when they pack in completely :) apart from that im much happier ,fitter and open minded and much lighter , i lost 2.5 stones in weight,
I gained more confidence the more i progressed during the walk,making it to valcarlos yes i had doubts if i could even get that far, going up the alto de perdon, seeing the cathedral in burgos ,o'ceibrero (didnt see any of the climb tho as it was thick mist and heavy rain) etc all things and places i doubted wether i could accomplish and see and i did and i only got bed bug bites once
so anyone thinking of doing the camino read the posts on this great forum then get up and walk
Although as said previously my knees are now bad ive got itchy feet and want to be back out on the open road again ,so i will see what i can find for next year
Thanks to everyone involved with running this great forum and to all who post in it
allan

Allan,

Glad to learn that your camino was a success! All of us find those hills a bit too much at times and yet we try to keep on walking. Do let us know how your future plans evolve.

Carpe diem and Ultreia!

MM

thanks for your time
allan
Free style, the only way to walk the camino but it does have its down side, finding a place to stay when the camino is crowded.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
GO Allan - fantastic that you have been able to travel this ancient road. You are now equipped to continue living life to the full. Happy Christmas! Cheers

I set off from SJPP on the 18th of September and finished in Santiago on the 25th of October (2 break days)

From reading the rest of your post your finish was but one moment in your journey. And, as with all of us, your journey continues .

Well done. I only hope I can have some of your courage to go with me on my journey in a few months time.

thanks for your time
allan
Indeed, it’s about the journey not the destination

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back