• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fire stations on the route Lisbon-Porto, how does it work

sus-anna

Hi!
I'm leaving from Lisbon at the end of this week on my way to Santiago:)

I wonder about the places to stay from Lisbon to Porto.
I found a list here and the refugios seems to be fire stations.
I wonder how this works. Do you just turn up there, like at an albergue?

I speak 0 portugues so I'll be grateful for any advice before I leave.

Thanks
/S

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Susana

As you speak Portuguese all will be easier. I´ve never used the firestations myself but I have met a number of pilgrims who have. You need your credencial and you simply turn up - they may ask you to wait until they see how many beds they need themselves but all report are that they are very helpful.

Buen camino

John

I'll second John's observations. When I walked from Lisbon to Porto, I never slept there, but I did visit a couple (the people in Azambuja were particularly nice) and they told me that usually there are not beds, just floor space and access to showers. But that a few places have mattresses. They also said the only times they fill up is when there is a large group walking to Fatima, but that it's very rare.

I assume you've seen the online guide http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm (I wrote the Lisbon-Porto segment and John wrote the Porto to Santiago part). I also have a few updates to the guide that I have received from other walkers and would be happy to send them to you if you're intrested. Nothing too major, but I haven't revised the online guide yet.

And I for one would love to hear how it goes -- will you have a blog or anything?

Bom caminho, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes I saw the list with places to stay. And they all seemed to be fire stations :)
I imagine when I knock on the door, a lot of handsome men with muscles will turn up and wonder what I want?
And then I will make a gesture which means I want to sleep there. Then all will laugh at me! And say I can sleep in their beds, too!

I'm blushing just thinking of it! But I will make a try. It's too expensive to stay at hotels. Perhaps I must carry a camping mattress on this route? I know if I arrive late I'll be happy just to get a roof over my head:)

I will write here when I'm back and tell you how things were.

Happy to hear more about it, if there is someone out there!
/S

sus-anna said:
Yes I saw the list with places to stay. And they all seemed to be fire stations :)
I imagine when I knock on the door, a lot of handsome men with muscles will turn up and wonder what I want?
And then I will make a gesture which means I want to sleep there. Then all will laugh at me! And say I can sleep in their beds, too!

I'm blushing just thinking of it! But I will make a try. It's too expensive to stay at hotels. Perhaps I must carry a camping mattress on this route? I know if I arrive late I'll be happy just to get a roof over my head:)

I will write here when I'm back and tell you how things were.

Happy to hear more about it, if there is someone out there!

Allo, Sus-Anna,
I am eager to know how it goes for firefighters, too. Leave me in early September in Lisbon.
Bon voyage!
Diane :D

I imagine when I knock on the door, a lot of handsome men with muscles will turn up and wonder what I want? And then I will make a gesture which means I want to sleep there. Then all will laugh at me! And say I can sleep in their beds, too!

I think this is really going to increase the number of women Camino Portuguese walkers, but I am NOT passing it on to Hel who is planning on walking this route in November with her daughter.

Scott :evil:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Too late darling, already made a note of it... as it's likely to be cold Fran and I will really appreciate a warm friendly fire station.

Hel :oops:

hi,

i heard too late about these free fire-station sleeping possibilities in Portugal. in Valenca, last stop in Portugal, i wanted to stay at a fire-station. just to see what kind of experience is that. but when i arrived there, the albergue Teotonio was next to the fire station, and from the outside it looked much-much better then the firestation. so i have chosen the albergue :) but i can say i slept as a neighbor of the fire station :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back