• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino from Victoria BC & Edmonton AB Canada

msanb

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's May "2017"
Hi,

Friends for 20 years since our sons attended St Augustine elementary school in Edmonton we are excited to be starting our first Camino from St Jean April 30th. Spending the winter in Victoria after retirement to train for this a life changing experience. Two months countdown and lots of second guessing equipment, physical and spiritual preparation I guess that is part of the process.

Just read I'm Off Then by Hape Kerkeling and did not find it the most uplifting book not sure if it is a healthy dose of reality or if my expectations are too high!!

Moe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
this a life changing experience.
if my expectations are too high!!
Probably they are! The Camino may or may not be a "life changing experience." For most of us, the changes are subtle. To the extent that I now have a favourite annual trip destination AND I have embraced walking for my health, it has changed my life, but I could still be happy and basically the same person without the Camino. There are several good reasons to walk the camino, so just do it without expectations of drama!.

Are you aware of the local Victoria chapter of the CCoP and their annual gathering March 25? Great opportunity to meet others that have or are about to head off and do the Camino

http://victoriacamino.ca/events/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just read I'm Off Then by Hape Kerkeling and did not find it the most uplifting book

Hi Moe, here’s wishing you a wonderful camino!

I have read lots of camino books and I can honestly say that “I’m Off Then” by Hape Kerkeling was the worst. He is a German celebrity who wrote a book about the camino and generally whinges and moans all the way along. He never stays in albergues, just criticises them. The albergues are (for me anyway) what the camino is all about – learning about other people, having joyous communal meals together which you’ve cooked yourselves, sharing your sorrows, being there for others when they need you. In my eyes Hans Peter Kerkeling missed the whole point of the camino. (Which is not to say that I’ve got it yet either, as I keep going back trying to find it :confused:.)
Jill

I have read lots of camino books and I can honestly say that “I’m Off Then” by Hape Kerkeling was the worst. He is a German celebrity who wrote a book about the camino and generally whinges and moans all the way along. He never stays in albergues, just criticises them. The albergues are (for me anyway) what the camino is all about – learning about other people, having joyous communal meals together which you’ve cooked yourselves, sharing your sorrows, being there for others when they need you. In my eyes Hans Peter Kerkeling missed the whole point of the camino. (Which is not to say that I’ve got it yet either, as I keep going back trying to find it :confused:.)
Jill

Well then, tastes in reading and experiences are obviously highly subjective. HAPE Kerkeling's book was the only book I actually read, not just flicked through before hiking the Camino. His book is the single most sold non fiction book in the German speaking market in a long long time. Kerkeling is not only a fantastically humorous comedian and showman, he is a very gifted story teller as well. If I'd have anywhere near his talent and write a book, it would be titled "The Oddfellas", based on my personal impressions along the way. The Camino is a wonderful experience either way, but I find that too many guide books write about the Kumbaya and do not mention the not so brilliant side of things.
While I did have a truly wonderful walk in the sum of all things, I had equally many head scratching moments along the way. Contrary to your love of "Albergue life", I found many of them the most testing part of my journey.

Jill
Thank you Jill loved your sense of humor and copied your lessons from Jill to share with Yvette, your list has practical advice and balances the joys and the sorrows!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Probably they are! The Camino may or may not be a "life changing experience." For most of us, the changes are subtle. To the extent that I now have a favourite annual trip destination AND I have embraced walking for my health, it has changed my life, but I could still be happy and basically the same person without the Camino. There are several good reasons to walk the camino, so just do it without expectations of drama!.
Thank you, perhaps life affirming is a better expectation than life changing

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back