• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino / how to get to Triacastela from Santiago ?

AndyF

Hi All

I am planning to go Triacastela to Santiago in early Sept. I will fly into Santiago then double back to Triacastella . I know I can get a bus to Astorga that drops at Piedrafita? , but can I get to Triacastella by bus. I have only one week, Sarria is too close and O Cebreiro possibly too far out . Any help gratefully received, otherwise I will just "wing it" when I arrive!
By the way - what's September like for the walk??

Andy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"...I know I can get a bus to Astorga that drops at Piedrafita? , but can I get to Triacastella by bus... "

The answer is yes. Once there you can find out what the bus schedule is like.

"...I have only one week, Sarria is too close and O Cebreiro possibly too far out .

Don't think that Cebreiro is that far, depends on you walking rythm.

The Camino Portugues + on to Fisterra may be an awesome option. You could land in Vigo and start it in Tui. Or land in Santiago and take a bus to Tui. Ponte de Lima in northern Portugal may be an interesting, optional, starting point.

I will just "wing it" when I arrive!

Ah, my friend, that may be the best one :) , though for your first Camino, I dunno...wonder what other fellow-pilgrims may say about this :?:

... what's September like for the walk??

The best time for any Camino :!:

Buen Camino, Andy :arrow:

xm

Dear xm

Thanks for your reply
What a wonderful forum this is! :D

I hadn't considered the Camino Portugues but the idea of getting to the coast at Finisterre has always appealed - I will need to check it out.

Are there many refugios on the camino portugues ?, I guess its a quieter stretch than the frances :?:

Thanks again
Andy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Andy, the Camino Portugues may just have about the best net of albergues in the Caminos, the Xunta has invested a lot of dough in them. Quieter than the Camino Frances :?: Any Camino :!:

Best,

xm 8)

Andy,

It took me a week to walk from O Cebreiro to Santiago so it is doable. If you get the bus to Piedrafita you can either walk (5km) or get a taxi up to O Cebreiro. (It's uphill all the way so I recommend the taxi!)
The church at O Cebreiro is an ideal starting point and you can get your credencial there.

Buen camino,

Ann

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Andy,

It's a great idea to start from Triacastela, I suggest you take the Samos route towards Sarria. It's one of the best stretches along the camino. Quiet and very green.

But if you can start from O Cebreiro, even better.

But if you can start from Villafranca del Bierzo, even better-er. :wink:

Mark

rambling ...

The thing is "start," right Mark? This is one of the beauties of the Caminos, how you can begin anywhere u want, like pilgrims in olden time did from wherever they lived or transported themselves to. Today we do the same. Granted, better: transportation/places to stay/sanitary conditions/signalization (no yellow arrows :arrow: prior to the 70's), and what not. But still, there are throns with the flowers. This is no easy enterprise, not a "camino de rosas" (road of roses), to paraphrase the title of a recent documentary on the Caminos.

I feel that I start my Caminos from the moment I conceive them.

Lately it's been a thing of "this is it, no more :!: " And here I am, thinking that it's hard to believe I'll be walking again pretty soon.

After a few Caminos I feel that we're old friends. The excitement has a kind of familiarity and serenity to it, because even when ur doing a new Camino, you already know the tradition and what to expect, in general, and even in specific terms. Not all, certainly. There are always surprises, new people to meet and share with, and more.

BC :arrow:

xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back