• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino looking for some help on a starting point

Darragh3281

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hi everyone, planning my first Camino, well part Camino, for this October, around the 19th. I have about a week or so to reach a starting point, have a walk and back to a Dublin. My initial thoughts would be to fly into Madrid, and catch a train to Pamplona, where I would start my Camino. I would love to start in SJPDP but not sure a how easy it is to get there, and with only a week or so I’d by happy starting in Pamplona. I don’t fancy doing the last 100k to Santiago, I hope to do the full walk next year or the year after.

Would welcome any suggestion, thank.

Also I can’t find train times during October from Madrid to Pamplona, are they just not released yet???.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you hope to go the full Frances walk from SJPdP next year, why not do the full Ingles this year? One day to fly to either A Coruna or SdC airport (or even Vigo), taxi or bus to Ferrol and start the next day. 5 or 6 days walking to SdC. It's a lovely Camino and will give you a good taste as wel as the satisfaction of having completed a full one.

Even though you will probably lose a day of walking I think that you might enjoy starting from SJPdP (take a bus or taxi from Pamplona). St Jean is full of pilgrims setting off on their first day, and the excitement and energy is contagious. You can return in another year and start where you left off.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd look into doing Portuguese route...and finishing in Santiago

Or (and others will have really good opinions)
Start in Astorga. end the first day in Foncebadon
Day 2 you'll hit Cruz de Ferro and likely in Ponferrada
Day 3, skip ahead and hike to O Cebreiro...ride a bike downhill to Tricastela and then hike to Samos
Day 4 hike past Sarria to Portomarin (or Mercadairo which is 5km's before Portomarin)
Day 5 hike to Palas Del Rei (or even a tad farther)
Day 6 hike to Salceda
Day 7 hike into Santiago

You'll hit some really neat terrain out of Astorga

Good luck and buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
With just a week you are looking at 1 day out and 1 day back leaving five days on the Camino.
From Dublin the easiest destination is Madrid. From there I would either catch a train to Pamplona or Burgos.
Five days walking from these would give you quite different Camino experiences. From Pamplona, more ups and downs and more villages and towns. From Burgos you are heading into the Meseta which is flatter, wide horizons and less populated.
You'll either have to back track a bit or skip forward for a connection back to Madrid.
I wouldn't bother with St Jean as chances are the weather is against you in mid October. Leave it until you do the whole Camino and a slight delay starting from St Jean won't make too much difference.

@Darragh3281 if you are in or near Dublin i would recommend calling into the Camino Society Ireland info centre in St James's Church (beside Guinness). It is staffed by volunteers (Thurs - Sat 10:30 - 15:30) who would be delighted to chat to you about options from Dublin. Flying to Biarritz, Bilbao or Santander are all handy airports for joining or leaving the Camino (a mix of Aer L & Ryanair) . Ryanair now also fly to Oviedo for the Primitivo route... Though if its your first Camino then a spell along the francés would give you a real taste of it
For example
Dublin > Biarritz > bus/transfer to SJPP
Logroño bus to > Bilbao > Dublin

Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another vote here for doing the Ingles. Easy train ride from Madrid (or A Coruna) to the starting point of Ferrrol, and then 5 days of walking. A great appetizer for your longer Camino next year.

Does it have to be in Spain? There are some excellent St James Routes in the UK and France that are easy to reach from Ireland.
Take a look at the Confraternity of St James web site https://www.csj.org.uk/
You could start in Paris, even, straight out from the airport. Train back to the airport on your last day.

Fly to A Coruna, bus to Ferrol, walk the Ingles. Bus back to A Coruna. Fly to Dublin.

No wasted days 😎
This is the best suggestion!
The Baztan (Bayonne to Pamplona) and San Salvador (Leon to Oviedo) would also fit the time frame with no gymnastics.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you everyone for taking time to reply, really appreciate the sound advice. I’ll do some more research based on the ideas above. Thanks again😀

Ourense to Santiago is easily possible in 4 days, depends if you are after a compostella or not. It's also a nicer, less busy, more scenic route, than the Sarria route. Ingles as mentioned could be possible as well. Or do a section somewhere else.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Darragh!
Welcome to the forum and the Camino!
I still remember when I first discovered this very special way of spending a holiday or taking some time out and since have walked many different sections of the Way of St James through Germany, Poland, France and Spain.
I totally agree with you about not just walking the last 100 km into Santiago di Compostella. For me, the Camino is not about arriving there, it's the spirit of the Camino and after having discovered it in 2011, I still have never been to SdC!
AIL4fc-n7n38qXBSx14FMx2qLPFgetyK2G4Wes_1zDd5v8VEk-oPkLnFbVnTmShfS10JCYKJQqMqY3ta-XtVDUhqgqODvbXIIa0uhskn-MxFUjN6pT_rl3TLf6-N87fGh-Ex33Z9i3q897c-C_cBArAJh0lZCrO2cnMiGDslEAq9BC3XihulvRnYtcArJj_KtwvTvkajr694FoviUIAmffCAm-DKX9_GLYiIZlYVSoVLLfOQY50Ap1OK0a1_d-S0n9J7eZqM-cRZThFWO5Qqv85KcUN7Eohr25V0b7s9HzjthFJqmUW2WxasWlBVYtHpKfjfnzwfa3-QC7p_gSPtlB3rKrnMReHJnMMNWpL0IAREvIa4J-1eEBxasVyJ57h1huKZ4i-j_Dz8yug2oofhAsKi33Aus7T4RaktuNu0VoH75wSs44QXO11prT2rkAOhLf3dtYIRyaq_Gd44js8R3KUyw-qJdtqZdNw5guWWMOvNzHGktXKyYBSgAK-lfTypoh_R9yQo6CZXNFJvj2cW95NdkvFqvJ8-o84Hg-VHrso0JXc1Ryt469qY-Zb1RVRAr6pZeInEPkM4aY1n9aNTmHSduy4LcRm6kLJdtoRJdOYVy1s2f9cUmtiypr2cnwAV09yf0bwUhGUIQar8wlIUlzkAcgnjBZ3ji7V838-4RqlO3vEFoxtKe5UHai12xUEoGjmUCCLCozrV-vJ2b_h4IIFWaS0HWRYwqvHOAILlzmKW5LVjIssCcK-kytJtLG37WAaOufE3bgr7-hFeoitK0aB5L0kMgIMj4rlI5DJGHQm6KrmKHe41hW0OD9lREMXayF-sGr93Ns3hUVddTYL-g1q4WJHgIsCnG7el3SOGpNNqDbVZBrpUrIaqYrzWmPX9M82nkBRZO7fDDE_hhPTfcCE90AE=w2772-h1560-s-no

I am not sure how important it is for you to walk a section on the CF, I personally always shied away from it because I prefer and have walked several less-travelled caminos.
The choices are virtually endless. The following alternative would be quite easy to arrange without any additional travelling once you arrive in Spain.
It takes you to one of the most spectacular caminos which passes through the Picos de Europa:

The Camino de San Salvador - takes 5 to 7 days to complete.

I found it so spectacular that I have walked it twice. It is described as challenging but I didn't find that the case at all, and I have no more than average fitness!
The San Salvador is breathtakingly beautiful!
The advantage over e.g. the CF: it starts in Leon and ends in Oviedo both cities can be easily reached from many airports.
I think the 'San Salvador' would be a great introduction to the Camino and camino life, including albergues.
This link should give you all the information you need.
Camino de San Salvador

Last edited:
Hi everyone, planning my first Camino, well part Camino, for this October, around the 19th. I have about a week or so to reach a starting point, have a walk and back to a Dublin

Maybe you know but there is a way of St James that starts in Dublin. As your time is short have you considered doing that walk?

How about flying into Madrid and then walking the Madrid route up as far as you can.
Then you just hop on a train or bus back down to Madrid to fly out.
Beautiful route! And Segovia is worth seeing, as well as the Wamba church. Easy peasy.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everyone, planning my first Camino, well part Camino, for this October, around the 19th. I have about a week or so to reach a starting point, have a walk and back to a Dublin. My initial thoughts would be to fly into Madrid, and catch a train to Pamplona, where I would start my Camino. I would love to start in SJPDP but not sure a how easy it is to get there, and with only a week or so I’d by happy starting in Pamplona. I don’t fancy doing the last 100k to Santiago, I hope to do the full walk next year or the year after.

Also I can’t find train times during October from Madrid to Pamplona, are they just not released yet???.

Hello Darragh,
Pamplona is a great place to start. I did the Camino in three trips, as I'm a slow walker. Could you take the ALSA bus from Madrid to Pamplona?
all the best,
Tacey

You can rent a bike in O Cebreiro and drop it off in Triacastela. We did that on my 2016 Camino when I was trying to go easy on my knees.
this is exactly where I picked up the bike...lot of downhill (there is some uphill) but the last section is downhill on a really neat and winding mountain road...I felt safe the entire way as well.

Hi, I started my Camino in Pamplona, walked for a week and went back the year after to keep walking. You are going to love it! It is one of my favorite trips walking El Camino de Santiago. I flew from madrid to Pamplona. I am sure that you will find trains going to Pamplona. Buen camino!!!👨‍🦯

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Darragh!
Welcome to the forum and the Camino!
I still remember when I first discovered this very special way of spending a holiday or taking some time out and since have walked many different sections of the Way of St James through Germany, Poland, France and Spain.
I totally agree with you about not just walking the last 100 km into Santiago di Compostella. For me, the Camino is not about arriving there, it's the spirit of the Camino and after having discovered it in 2011, I still have never been to SdC!
AIL4fc-n7n38qXBSx14FMx2qLPFgetyK2G4Wes_1zDd5v8VEk-oPkLnFbVnTmShfS10JCYKJQqMqY3ta-XtVDUhqgqODvbXIIa0uhskn-MxFUjN6pT_rl3TLf6-N87fGh-Ex33Z9i3q897c-C_cBArAJh0lZCrO2cnMiGDslEAq9BC3XihulvRnYtcArJj_KtwvTvkajr694FoviUIAmffCAm-DKX9_GLYiIZlYVSoVLLfOQY50Ap1OK0a1_d-S0n9J7eZqM-cRZThFWO5Qqv85KcUN7Eohr25V0b7s9HzjthFJqmUW2WxasWlBVYtHpKfjfnzwfa3-QC7p_gSPtlB3rKrnMReHJnMMNWpL0IAREvIa4J-1eEBxasVyJ57h1huKZ4i-j_Dz8yug2oofhAsKi33Aus7T4RaktuNu0VoH75wSs44QXO11prT2rkAOhLf3dtYIRyaq_Gd44js8R3KUyw-qJdtqZdNw5guWWMOvNzHGktXKyYBSgAK-lfTypoh_R9yQo6CZXNFJvj2cW95NdkvFqvJ8-o84Hg-VHrso0JXc1Ryt469qY-Zb1RVRAr6pZeInEPkM4aY1n9aNTmHSduy4LcRm6kLJdtoRJdOYVy1s2f9cUmtiypr2cnwAV09yf0bwUhGUIQar8wlIUlzkAcgnjBZ3ji7V838-4RqlO3vEFoxtKe5UHai12xUEoGjmUCCLCozrV-vJ2b_h4IIFWaS0HWRYwqvHOAILlzmKW5LVjIssCcK-kytJtLG37WAaOufE3bgr7-hFeoitK0aB5L0kMgIMj4rlI5DJGHQm6KrmKHe41hW0OD9lREMXayF-sGr93Ns3hUVddTYL-g1q4WJHgIsCnG7el3SOGpNNqDbVZBrpUrIaqYrzWmPX9M82nkBRZO7fDDE_hhPTfcCE90AE=w2772-h1560-s-no

I am not sure how important it is for you to walk a section on the CF, I personally always shied away from it because I prefer and have walked several less-travelled caminos.
The choices are virtually endless. The following alternative would be quite easy to arrange without any additional travelling once you arrive in Spain.
It takes you to one of the most spectacular caminos which passes through the Picos de Europa:

The Camino de San Salvador - takes 5 to 7 days to complete.

I found it so spectacular that I have walked it twice. It is described as challenging but I didn't find that the case at all, and I have no more than average fitness!
The San Salvador is breathtakingly beautiful!
The advantage over e.g. the CF: it starts in Leon and ends in Oviedo both cities can be easily reached from many airports.
I think the 'San Salvador' would be a great introduction to the Camino and camino life, including albergues.
This link should give you all the information you need.
Camino de San Salvador
Morning Stefan, thank you so much for for your reply. WOW Camino de San Salvador looks amazing, and a less travelled Camino would certainly suit me. However I think as an introduction to a camino the Frances route might be the one for me, I’ll save salvador for another time.😃

Hi, I started my Camino in Pamplona, walked for a week and went back the year after to keep walking. You are going to love it! It is one of my favorite trips walking El Camino de Santiago. I flew from madrid to Pamplona. I am sure that you will find trains going to Pamplona. Buen camino!!!👨‍🦯
Thanks Jolson, looking forward to it.

How about flying into Madrid and then walking the Madrid route up as far as you can.
Then you just hop on a train or bus back down to Madrid to fly out.
Beautiful route! And Segovia is worth seeing, as well as the Wamba church. Easy peasy.
Sounds great, but all the research up until this point of the many Camino is pointing me to the Frances, may another time.

Maybe you know but there is a way of St James that starts in Dublin. As your time is short have you considered doing that walk?

Sounds interesting, I’ll look into it - thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ourense to Santiago is easily possible in 4 days, depends if you are after a compostella or not. It's also a nicer, less busy, more scenic route, than the Sarria route. Ingles as mentioned could be possible as well. Or do a section somewhere else.
Thanks,

Does it have to be in Spain? There are some excellent St James Routes in the UK and France that are easy to reach from Ireland.
Take a look at the Confraternity of St James web site https://www.csj.org.uk/
You could start in Paris, even, straight out from the airport. Train back to the airport on your last day.
Thanks for the Information Barbara, I’ll have a look😁

@Darragh3281 if you are in or near Dublin i would recommend calling into the Camino Society Ireland info centre in St James's Church (beside Guinness). It is staffed by volunteers (Thurs - Sat 10:30 - 15:30) who would be delighted to chat to you about options from Dublin. Flying to Biarritz, Bilbao or Santander are all handy airports for joining or leaving the Camino (a mix of Aer L & Ryanair) . Ryanair now also fly to Oviedo for the Primitivo route... Though if its your first Camino then a spell along the francés would give you a real taste of it
For example

Buen camino
For example

Buen camino
Morning, planning on calling in to the Society on Friday, catching the train for Belfast to Dublin. Your suggestion on flying into Biarritz, and out of Bilbao sounds perfect. Thanks for you help😁😁

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For all things train related including RENFE's eccentric approach to publishing timetables I would consult The Man in Seat 61.

If you hope to go the full Frances walk from SJPdP next year, why not do the full Ingles this year? One day to fly to either A Coruna or SdC airport (or even Vigo), taxi or bus to Ferrol and start the next day. 5 or 6 days walking to SdC. It's a lovely Camino and will give you a good taste as wel as the satisfaction of having completed a full one.
Thanks, I had looked at the Ingles a while back, looks interesting, maybe someday.

With just a week you are looking at 1 day out and 1 day back leaving five days on the Camino.
From Dublin the easiest destination is Madrid. From there I would either catch a train to Pamplona or Burgos.
Five days walking from these would give you quite different Camino experiences. From Pamplona, more ups and downs and more villages and towns. From Burgos you are heading into the Meseta which is flatter, wide horizons and less populated.
You'll either have to back track a bit or skip forward for a connection back to Madrid.
I wouldn't bother with St Jean as chances are the weather is against you in mid October. Leave it until you do the whole Camino and a slight delay starting from St Jean won't make too much difference.
Thanks for the information MikeyC😁

Thanks for that, the Ingles does look interesting

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Even though you will probably lose a day of walking I think that you might enjoy starting from SJPdP (take a bus or taxi from Pamplona). St Jean is full of pilgrims setting off on their first day, and the excitement and energy is contagious. You can return in another year and start where you left off.
Thanks, yes you’re right I need to start in SJPP. It looks like flying into Biarritz and out of Bilbao would work best😁😁

Hi folks, just to let you know I've booked my flights. Fly into Biarritz on the 27th of Sep, start my walk on the 28th, walk to Logrono, fly back to Dublin from Bilbao. Very excited, thanks again for all the advice.

Buen Camino

Darragh

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back