• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first camino, scared or excited

esmir

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned April 2022
hey everyone! Im planning on starting my first camino from SJPdP in May. I’m australian but am currently staying in alicante.
Im getting quite nervous thinking about the whole trip, I have a few things in the meantime which means I can’t get too much practice in and I have limited funds so can’t buy the lightest and best items.

Any words of encouragement or tips for cheap camino (more than just staying in albergues) would be very appreciated 😅

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The line between fear and excitement is thin, isn't it? 😎 Best try to be scared just about the right amount to make it exciting ;-)
1. If your gear is not light, take less gear. But do compromise when it comes to comfortable sleep and footwear and basic weather protection. The latter of course depends a bit on the season. But people take so much stuff with them they actually do not need.
2. If you are not too limited regarding your time slot, you can train on the way. Give it a slow start and approach your limits from day to day instead of jumping right over the limit and regretting later.
3. "Cheap" is such a relative term. Everyone defines it differently. So I am not sure what to say ;-) You can always save a bit on food costs when you buy basic ingredients in local supermarkets and prepare your own cheap meals at albergues that offer kitchens. It all adds up over the weeks. On my last (and first) Camino 2019 I underestimated my urge to treat myself from time to time with good meals, wine and from time to time some more private and hence more expensive accommodation. 😉
So next time my approach will be to live really cheap in between those days where I reward myself and treat myself. This also broadens your experience on both ends of the scale :)

hey everyone! Im planning on starting my first camino from SJPdP in May. I’m australian but am currently staying in alicante.
Im getting quite nervous thinking about the whole trip, I have a few things in the meantime which means I can’t get too much practice in and I have limited funds so can’t buy the lightest and best items.

Any words of encouragement or tips for cheap camino (more than just staying in albergues) would be very appreciated 😅

This is my second but first Solo Camino. I leave this Friday for Camino Primitivo. I'm leaving my wife, 4 yr old son and daughter. I'm nervous as well. All alone in a foreign country. What if something happens to me? What if they need me....all sorts of emotions. I feel you.......

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, ways to save money will depend on what you are willing to do or sacrifice. Save on drinks by buying any sodas and instant coffee at the grocery store instead of a bar. You can drink these at the albergue, especially if you carry a light cup that can be microwaved. Of course this also means you drink tap water or from fountains out of your own bottle and maybe don't drink beer or wine. These are all things which are wonderful treats during a day, but could save you a little cash. It does add up.

Breakfast can be fruit or a granola bar purchased from a fruteria or grocery store. Lunch is bread from the bakery with a little cheese and ham from the grocery. Supper can be less expensive if you are able to cook with friends and set a limit in advance. If you are living in Alicante, you will already know that prices are going up even at the store and these will likely be passed on to pilgrims at bars and restaurants.

If you are staying at a donativo albergue and don't or can't leave much for a donation, be sure to offer to help the hospitalero in some way if possible. Many will offer breakfast so be sure to take advantage of that. Try to plan out your route to avoid expenses like shipping your bag, taking the bus or taxi, etc. It is always good to have a small reserve fund in case something unexpected happens. The first few days on the Camino from St Jean are pretty expensive compared to stretches later in the CF so maybe start in Pamplona or somewhere on the Aragonnes which joins the CF at Puenta la Reina?

Take a lightweight blanket or sheet you may already own that can be converted to a sleeping bag with safety pins instead of buying something new and expensive. Use things you already own instead of buying something new. There will be costs and as Artic Alex says, don't skimp on shoes or socks.

The apprehension’s all part of the experience. I’m off in a week for my eighth Camino (some of them, as this, partial) and whilst I know the ropes, I’ve got mixed emotions also.

A good tip which came up again only recently is to aim for your main meal mid-afternoon (typically from 1 to 3) and go for a ‘menu del día’ rather than an evening ‘menu Peregrino’. It’s a) more authentic Spanish b) better value and c) better food.

As regards equipment - spend your money on your feet and buy good comfortable shoes and socks. You don’t need high-tech anything else. A €20-euro pair of poles from decathlon will get you to Santiago just as well as anything.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Echoing others................you'll be just fine.

This is so very exciting. The jitters are normal, I think we all get them, I know I do. I also don't get much training in before but no worries, the Camino will do that for you. I find the less I spend the better time I have. No need to go all out. You probably already have some items you'll need. On my first Camino I was on a strict budget but managed nicely. You'll get the hang of it. You'll figure out how much you'll spend in a day (minimum 35/40 euro per day) and if you can splurge on something extra once in a while. Pack light, take care of your feet and the rest will follow. The hardest part is getting there and remember this, the Camino provides. Buen Camino! :)

Last edited:
Yeah have fun its a great experience;all the fears you hold now will disappear when your feet hit the ground!
Cheap stuff can be as good as those that cost much more!!

Here's an example;I know some pilgrims don't like poles; mine were 12 Euros cheap as chips and took a hell of a bashing but lasted the whole trip and were a life saver!
Rain kilt less than 10 Euros;for me another great bit of kit.
But make sure you buy good shoes ;they will carry you to Santiago
You will find a way.
All the best
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
Not scared, just nervous. The flights to Bayonne were my third and fourth flight ever. First flown to NYC in 1996 and never again until 2019.

I was physically well prepared and did know that I can handle all things that I will come across.
But I was not aware about the mental stress and change in perspective.

I started cheap (Pack 25€, no sticks, limited budget, many older items that I have for years) and manage to do the whole trip with daily expenses under 25€! (buy your snacks and food in the cheaper supermercados in the bigger cities, prepare meals with your fellow pilgrims if possible, enjoy the local house-wines, withdraw money while buying in Dia, Lidl, Froiz, etc., avoiding the fees at ATMs, avoid the stages mentioned in the guide-books).

The only expensive new item were my boots (200€, bought in January '19).
You don't need the "lightest and best" equipment, you need gear that fits you and your budget.

Last year I crossed the alps and we had two people who gave up despite the fact that they geared up "with the most expensive and best" equipment. In my opinion a long hike is more a thing of the will and mind, not of the gear you bring.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can do it! Just pace yourself in the early days - don't try to go beyond the "stages" until your boyd had physically adjusted to the repeated LONG walking days. And listen to your body. If it says "rest", then rest. I wasn't in shape at all at the beginning of my Camino. I went home feeling MUCH stronger.

You don't need the "lightest and best" equipment, you need gear that fits you and your budget.

Exactly! You don't need the best or lightest gear - just something that works for you. I walked with a 20 years old ALDI backpack and a ridiculous antique pair of shoes on my first camino... overall mostly stuff I already had and some things I bought second hand, and I did arrive in Santiago as a happy pilgrim! ~15€/day budget I think it was...

Last year I crossed the alps and we had two people who gave up despite the fact that they geared up "with the most expensive and best" equipment.

There's a saying "All the gear but no idea" for those who spend lots of money on gear but don't know how to use it...

You'll figure out how much you'll spend in a day (minimum 35/40 euro per day)

I wonder where the idea that such a budget is a "minimum" is coming from. Albergue 5-15€/night (edit: nowadays very few for 5€ but still many at 8-12 and some at 6-7 and 12-15 price range) so 10€ on average. Food from supermarket ~10€/day. Even if you calculate 15€ average albergue price you can stay below 30 easily.

It's 35-40 at least if you eat pilgrim's menus and breakfast at albergues/bars, that's true - but that is not necessary. It's a choice.

Last edited:
I wonder where the idea that such a budget is a "minimum" is coming from. Albergue 5-15€/night (edit: nowadays very few for 5€ but still many at 8-12 and some at 6-7 and 12-15 price range) so 10€ on average. Food from supermarket ~10€/day. Even if you calculate 15€ average albergue price you can stay below 30 easily.

It's 35-40 at least if you eat pilgrim's menus and breakfast at albergues/bars, that's true - but that is not necessary. It's a choice.
Exactly, its a choice. Maybe I should have put it this way:

My first Camino experience was, before I left home, I budgeted myself 35/40 euro a day, better safe than sorry. I knew nothing about the Camino just as the OP will need to figure it out as they walk, day by day. Some days I spent 10 euro, some 35. I was cautious in the beginning because I didn't know how much it would cost me or how long it would take me to walk the Frances from SJPdP to Santiago. Further on down the way I was able to loosen my purse strings, if you will. I recommend a minimum of 35/40 a day saved up in an account that can be utilized if necessary. The OP also stated they would like other options than albergues, which would require a larger budget. 35/40 per day saved up would cover the desire to stay in anything other than an albergue from time to time. I stayed in muni albergues all the way and only ate two pilgrim menu's, I don't drink alcohol and I didn't discover cafe con leche until further on down the way. I came home with money in my Camino account which gave me the freedom to make choices along the way that might require an additional euro or two. No one really knows the cost of their Camino until they are there. This is my suggestion, a minimum of 35/40 euro per day. :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oops I meant dollars --- dollars not euros ----- and take out the word minimum if you need to. I did it on a minimum but that doesn't mean it's universal. I apologize to the OP if I mislead in any way on how much to budget.

We all have a different personal "minimum" I guess :) There are probably some people who walk with even less, and many who need much more each day. It's all fine!

35-40€ is probably a good average budget per day for many. I just wanted to point out that it is possible to walk with a budget <30€, since the OP was looking for some reassurance regarding a low budget camino.

Remember, it is just one step at a time and one day at a time.
To be on the cheap; carry cash, buy your own food as you need it, skip the everyday 'restaurant break' and eat what you buy. Many days we spent only 5 Euro on food. A few restaurant days we spent 50!

Start out walking slower than you think and not as far as you want to go... pace the first 5 days slower/less and you will end up happier. My feet gained a size (and never went back)... that is saying a lot since I had them the same size from age 16 to 56! Wear a size larger in shoes, I did before I started.

Carry less. Then remove some other things. Then remove some more. You need the clothes you are wearing - and something you can wear then those clothes are washed/drying (rain jacket and light weight boxers!)
A real Camera was important to me and my pack with everything was (including the weight of the pack) still under 6kg.

You can always use the postal service (pretty cheap) to forward what you don't use to Santiago. We (my wife and I) carried our own packs (shuttling the pack required knowing where you were going to stay the night!).
Shuttling packs is 5 Euro; 150 Euro for the entire trip. It saved us over 300 Euro by carrying our own.

More important than anything else; take care of your feet. If your feet are okay, your Camino will be too.

Buen Camino.

Put one foot in front of the other.

Take loads of pictures. Hang on to them.

Allow the way to embrace you.

Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In terms of gear: Don't spare cost when it comes to your feet. Get good boots or trail running shoes (I prefer these to boots) and good socks. Your feet are what carry you. And make sure your backpack is comfortable when fully loaded. Then the rest can be negotiated. If you can't afford to buy new lighter gear - consider weighing the gear you already own. If you are deciding between 2 sleeping bags - take the lighter bag. If you are deciding between 2 pairs of pants - take the lighter pants - as long as they have what you need (quick dry/comfortable). Really look through online packing lists - and pack as light as possible. Use items that can be multi-purposed when you can. For example: You don't need a guidebook, a kindle/ipad, AND a phone... take the phone with a reading app and get a guidebook for that app. You don't need a buff, a cold weather hat, and an eye-mask - the buff can be used to keep your head warm and cover your eyes when you sleep.

Keeping costs down as you walk is fairly easy too. Chose municipal albergues over private ones. If you are finding they are harder to get into - start walking a little earlier in the day (but still don't forget to enjoy the walk - it isn't a race). Buy snacks, breakfast, and the occasional lunch/dinner items in grocery stores. (Keep in mind not all kitchens will be open to cook due to COVID though). Have a Camino family? Go grocery shopping together and sharing a meal (even if you can't cook - you can still get creative). And don't be tempted to stop in every bar you pass in every town haha (yes, some do that!).

But also important - set a side a little money for in case there is something you need to buy along the way (your shoes fail or something) and for the occasional private room - just in case you find you need it! I loved the albergues - but there were some days I really need to soak in a hot tub and get a great night sleep.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.