• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino this year

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your quick reply!

We are really looking forward to it.

We planned to do this a few years ago but 'life' got in the way...we are now ready to go and can't wait!

All the best,

Patrick

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife and I walked the CF in September/October 2018. We are hooked - already talking about the Norte for 2019 or 2020. Enjoy - this is an amazing forum, and is about all we used for our planning!

My wife and I did Sept 2017 out of SJPP. It was fantastic. We did it in 6 weeks to Santiago. This forum has everything you need to plan. Only advice I would give you is prepare well, but dont over plan. Part of the Camino experience is the surprises. Prepare, But be willing to go with the flow. I wish I was going with you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Tim. Glad to know you enjoyed the experience.

We rather enjoy the planning.

Luckily we aren't complete novices at walking and have done some in the past but this will be our first attempt at something so loooong!

I had a panic over the weekend thinking about our rucksacks. Would they be too small?

So last night, we got out everything on our list that we were going to take (we used equivalents where we didn't have the actual item - still to be purchased)...

...and everything fitted!

For some reason, I though our rucksacks were 25L but I looked again and they are 35L.

They are our trusty Osprey Atmos 35s. We've had them for a few years and they fit us well...

We try not to overplan but also don't want to be caught out by something daft...

All the best,

Patrick

I used an Osprey Stratos 36. Anything any larger might have compelled me to add stuff, and stuff always adds weight. I feel your excitement for the Camino. It will not disappoint. Enjoy!

Thanks MaineSally (or I guess 'Sally' will do?),

We are really excited...it has taken us three years to get to this point and we can't believe it will actually be this year!

Hoping for clement weather though...I think it should make the whole experience more enjoyable...

Now we know we can get what we need into the rucksacks, we feel somewhat relieved...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hoping for clement weather though...I think it should make the whole experience more enjoyable...

Given how long the walk takes and the different regions you'll be walking through, you're likely to get a mix of weather. Ours ranged from searing heat (Navarra and the Meseta) to driving rain (Galicia), albeit at a different time of year from when yours will be (May-June). ¡Buen camino!

Given how long the walk takes and the different regions you'll be walking through, you're likely to get a mix of weather. Ours ranged from searing heat (Navarra and the Meseta) to driving rain (Galicia), albeit at a different time of year from when yours will be (May-June). ¡Buen camino!

Thanks. We are trying to be ready for everything and anything! Still researching a few items...

Good choice, we walked the Frances during winter. Next walk is October 2019 we are the Portuguese Caminho. My only regret was walking in too short of time we will take longer next time.

Good choice, we walked the Frances during winter. Next walk is October 2019 we are the Portuguese Caminho. My only regret was walking in too short of time we will take longer next time.

Pretty brave to walk it in winter...

How long did it take you? We are planning on the 31 days it says in the book...

Why would you like to have taken longer? Just curious...

Sooooo envious!! We walked Frances from Sept. 6 (28 degree weather!) to Oct. 7. (4 degree weather in the mornings!) 2015, and it was wonderful. We did have two rest days though, first around day 7 when I was coming down with a cold, and then in Leon, when my partner was feeling crappy. Oh, and we did rent bikes to cross the meseta to save time, so we could spend more time touring the beaches in Normandy, part 2 of our vacation. The meseta is about 167kms so we cut down 6 days of walking down to 2 days biking. Not everyone agrees with this approach, but it worked very well for us.

Not that you've asked for it, but my advice to you would be to plan on a rest day or two.

Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sooooo envious!! We walked Frances from Sept. 6 (28 degree weather!) to Oct. 7. (4 degree weather in the mornings!) 2015, and it was wonderful. We did have two rest days though, first around day 7 when I was coming down with a cold, and then in Leon, when my partner was feeling crappy. Oh, and we did rent bikes to cross the meseta to save time, so we could spend more time touring the beaches in Normandy, part 2 of our vacation. The meseta is about 167kms so we cut down 6 days of walking down to 2 days biking. Not everyone agrees with this approach, but it worked very well for us.

Not that you've asked for it, but my advice to you would be to plan on a rest day or two.

Buen Camino!!

Thanks for the advice...to be honest, we haven't planned any rest days as we aren't great sightseers but I think it is something we will need to consider...maybe rest when your body tells you to?

Just noticed you are from Ontario...my daughter moved there with her new (Canadian) husband this year...they are currently in Barrie...

Thanks for the advice...to be honest, we haven't planned any rest days as we aren't great sightseers but I think it is something we will need to consider...maybe rest when your body tells you to?

Just noticed you are from Ontario...my daughter moved there with her new (Canadian) husband this year...they are currently in Barrie...

Yes, it's so important to listen to your body during this adventure. We didn't sight-see on our first rest day (we rented a room for two nights at the Ritz Carlton in Logrono) and just spent the day between napping and I think I took about 4 baths. Lol. In the evening we just went out to this amazing burger joint called Burgerheim and the next morning, I felt right as rain!! The second rest day in Leon was cool though, as there was a medieval fair so we walked around town a bit and ate about 5lbs of meat and drank sangria.

We are located in Newmarket, a town that is only about a 30 minute drive south of Barrie! Small world, isn't it?!

Yes, it's so important to listen to your body during this adventure. We didn't sight-see on our first rest day (we rented a room for two nights at the Ritz Carlton in Logrono) and just spent the day between napping and I think I took about 4 baths. Lol. In the evening we just went out to this amazing burger joint called Burgerheim and the next morning, I felt right as rain!! The second rest day in Leon was cool though, as there was a medieval fair so we walked around town a bit and ate about 5lbs of meat and drank sangria.

We are located in Newmarket, a town that is only about a 30 minute drive south of Barrie! Small world, isn't it?!

Your rest days sound ideal!!!

Yes, small world for sure!

I'll be visiting in April when my daughter has her baby!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

It took 33 days and that pushing it. because of time constraints. Why longer : to stop and enjoy more of Spain to smell the roses. Our next walk I will be retired, but not my wife. She suggested I stay longer, if I do I will spend some more time in England with my daughter and grandson.

It took 33 days and that pushing it. because of time constraints. Why longer : to stop and enjoy more of Spain to smell the roses. Our next walk I will be retired, but not my wife. She suggested I stay longer, if I do I will spend some more time in England with my daughter and grandson.

Fair enough...we won't have time constraints because by then we will both have retired! So maybe we should have a conversation about smelling the roses...

It's just that we don't really do sightseeing...the only constraint is that we are hoping a couple of our children might be coming to Santiago to meet us so we would have a target date...

Hi Patrick and welcome to this well loved forum!
Book? What book? I used the Brierley guide on my first Camino Frances and used his daily planning schedule to book my flights. There were a few days when I thought his stages were too long and it put pressure on me to keep up the pace. I would factor in a few extra days, whether for an unforseen injury or illness, a needed rest day, or you may unexpectedly wish to spend a little more time in one of the larger, lovely cities you will pass through. You may also find your comfortable walking speed to be a little slower and thus appreciate the flexibility an extra day or two provides.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Tim. Glad to know you enjoyed the experience... So last night, we got out everything on our list that we were going to take (we used equivalents where we didn't have the actual item - still to be purchased) ...We try not to overplan but also don't want to be caught out by something daft...
Patrick

Sounds like you are getting it right Patrick. We quickly learned we did not need much stuff. We had two sets of walking clothes and one set of “town” clothes to wear in evening, often while laundry was drying. Could buy almost anything easily. Lynn carried an Osprey 36. I carried my North Face 50, but it was never completely full. We had only 3 days of rain the whole time - the first three days. Rain ponchos were picnic ground covers the rest of the trip. Only thing I forgot was a small folding knife, handy for many things, so I bought one there. Also, biggest surprise was the FLIES in the Meseta. Loved the Meseta, hated the flies.

Hi Patrick and welcome to this well loved forum!
Book? What book? I used the Brierley guide on my first Camino Frances and used his daily planning schedule to book my flights. There were a few days when I thought his stages were too long and it put pressure on me to keep up the pace. I would factor in a few extra days, whether for an unforseen injury or illness, a needed rest day, or you may unexpectedly wish to spend a little more time in one of the larger, lovely cities you will pass through. You may also find your comfortable walking speed to be a little slower and thus appreciate the flexibility an extra day or two provides.

Hi Chris,

It is a village to village guide that we bought. It gives loads of information on each village that you might stay at and there i a schedule where you average about 15m per day and finish in 31 days with a further 4 days to Finisterre or Muxia.

Sounds like you are getting it right Patrick. We quickly learned we did not need much stuff. We had two sets of walking clothes and one set of “town” clothes to wear in evening, often while laundry was drying. Could buy almost anything easily. Lynn carried an Osprey 36. I carried my North Face 50, but it was never completely full. We had only 3 days of rain the whole time - the first three days. Rain ponchos were picnic ground covers the rest of the trip. Only thing I forgot was a small folding knife, handy for many things, so I bought one there. Also, biggest surprise was the FLIES in the Meseta. Loved the Meseta, hated the flies.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the heads up on the flies!! Hate flies...

But I have the knife situation sorted...with a corkscrew!

We are definitely travelling light...

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the heads up on the flies!! Hate flies...

But I have the knife situation sorted...with a corkscrew!

We are definitely travelling light...
Your knife/corkscrew has multiple purposes so you can leave the fly swatter at home...just stab those annoying buggers with the corkscrew or if it's easier just cut them in half with the knife! 😄

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your rest days sound ideal!!!

Yes, small world for sure!

I'll be visiting in April when my daughter has her baby!

Oh my goodness, we could meet for a coffee in April, and share our experience with you?? Just let me know and we can set something up!

Cheers,
Sharon

Hi Sharon,

That sounds like a plan!

I will let you know when I have some concrete dates.

It is possible that I will be visiting on my own though.

All the best,

Patrick

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.