• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Night

Michael James

Time of past OR future Camino
"2014"
I arrive at Biarritz Airport 2130hrs can anyone advise about onward travel to St. Jean. I see the airport coach to Bayonne rail station is every half-hour but the journey time to St. Jean is one and a half hours. Should I find overnight accommodation on route and travel to St. Jean next morning? Any advice will be much appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What time of the year would you be traveling? Daylight hours is a factor to consider. Regardless, I would secure lodging at Biarritz and leave rested early morning on to SJPDP. Upon arrival to SJPDP check-in and get stamp at the Pilgrim's office (ask about weather ahead) and walk if winter/Springtime to Orisson. Secure lodging at Orisson. If summertime and good weather, then consider early train arrival to SJPDP and get on your way; shoot for Roncesvalles.

Keep us posted of your plans. :)

Buen Camino!

Attick SJPdP.jpg Welcome to the forum Michael! I'm so excited for your Camino, it's going to be a blessed experience.

2130 is pretty late and if traveling on a Monday then I would definitely advice getting a room in Biarritz or Bayonne. From my own experience the last train out of Bayonne on a Monday is 18:06. Getting to St. Jean is always the hardest part but no matter how you plan it, it will be the right plan for you.

I had to give up my bed at one of the alburgues because I didn't arrive on time for dinner and that was a requirement for staying there. Anyway, my first night on the Camino in SJPdP was in an attick of an alburgue that was full. I shared the space with another pilgrim, he was from Ireland, a complete stranger. It was the best first night anyone could ask for. An amazing experience.

Buen Camino and may the Lord guide your steps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What time of the year would you be traveling? Daylight hours is a factor to consider. Regardless, I would secure lodging at Biarritz and leave rested early morning on to SJPDP. Upon arrival to SJPDP check-in and get stamp at the Pilgrim's office (ask about weather ahead) and walk if winter/Springtime to Orisson. Secure lodging at Orisson. If summertime and good weather, then consider early train arrival to SJPDP and get on your way; shoot for Roncesvalles.

Keep us posted of your plans. :)

Buen Camino!
Many thanks. I fly from London 4th September 2014.

September/October is a beautiful time of the year to do the Camino (French Way)! Make sure to inquire on the Harvest Festivals in la Rioja Region. Have an amazing time! Buen Camino!

Many thanks. I fly from London 4th September 2014.
Welcome Michael you are joining a great forum for advice by September you should just about have any of your questions answered by someone.

Buen Camino Pilgrim.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I arrive at Biarritz Airport 2130hrs can anyone advise about onward travel to St. Jean. I see the airport coach to Bayonne rail station is every half-hour but the journey time to St. Jean is one and a half hours. Should I find overnight accommodation on route and travel to St. Jean next morning? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Hello Michael and welcome to the forum. I agree with the others - definitely stay overnight in Biarritz. If you stay in the historic part of town you are fairly close to the train station. Trains leave several times a day for Bayonne with a quick switch for the train to SJPP. I have stayed in several 2 star hotels in Biarritz which were perfectly clean and adequate. There are also 2 youth hostels (one is almost at the train station). They are very welcoming of older 'youth". Early in September you may want to make a reservation ahead of time as the tourist season is not really over yet. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
Where in Santiago can I catch the bus to the airport?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back