• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Pilgrimage

Patryk JM

Time of past OR future Camino
July 10 2015
Hello everyone!
I'm 13 years old and will be walking a part of the camino de santiagio, from Siarra to Santiago to be precise with a group from my school in july. I Have read many things about equipment so far however im a complete noobie and dont seem to know what anyone is talking about. The first matter i wanted to discuss are Shoes

Shoes
I've read many things about Boots or shoes and decided I would be better of with Shoes however, I have no idea which shoes i can go for, as im looking for a precise pair of shoes. I'd love any suggestions!

Backpack
So
... We are only allowed to take a backpack as baggage will be too heavy to carry and we will not be using the aeroplane cargo section. only hand baggage. Im looking for a backpack that has a waist strap and a water bladder as i have heard water bottles can get a bit frustrating. things i plan to take so far are
*3 Shirts (Would love recommendation for fast drying clothes!
*3 pairs of underwear and socks
*Wash set
*2 Hiking towels
*poncho
*Phone and power bank
* Hat and sunglasses
*sunscreen
*fleece

Im worrying that this will be too much to take and have hear you can only take 100ml of liquids to UK airports while i am planning on a whole wash set... D:

Clothing
Well as listed, 3 shirts and 3 pairs of underwear and socks and 2 hiking towels. I want all of these to dry asap and have heard of drying on the go however im not sure what is ment by that and how would i do that!

Thanks for the suggestions
Patryk

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone!
I'm 13 years old and will be walking a part of the camino de santiagio, from Siarra to Santiago to be precise with a group from my school in july. I Have read many things about equipment so far however im a complete noobie and dont seem to know what anyone is talking about. The first matter i wanted to discuss are Shoes

Shoes
I've read many things about Boots or shoes and decided I would be better of with Shoes however, I have no idea which shoes i can go for, as im looking for a precise pair of shoes. I'd love any suggestions!

Backpack
So
... We are only allowed to take a backpack as baggage will be too heavy to carry and we will not be using the aeroplane cargo section. only hand baggage. Im looking for a backpack that has a waist strap and a water bladder as i have heard water bottles can get a bit frustrating. things i plan to take so far are
*Wash set
*2 Hiking towels
*poncho
*Phone and power bank
* Hat and sunglasses
*sunscreen
*fleece

Im worrying that this will be too much to take and have hear you can only take 100ml of liquids to UK airports while i am planning on a whole wash set... D:

Clothing
Well as listed, 3 shirts and 3 pairs of underwear and socks and 2 hiking towels. I want all of these to dry asap and have heard of drying on the go however im not sure what is ment by that and how would i do that!

Patryk
Patryk, you are going to have lots of fun on your Camino because during that time of year there are many Spanish student groups walking between Sarria and Santiago.
This sounds a bit like a school project regarding finding resources for you adventure and I commend you for coming on this Forum.
For waking during July I would question:
1.) Why you need a fleece, it's cool on the morning but layers or a vest will do the trick,
2.) For the short time you are walking 2 pairs of underwear and 2 shirts will be just fine in addition to what you are wearing on the airplane to get there;),
3.) Assume your student group is being lodged somewhere every night otherwise you will need a silk sleeping bag liner,
4.) One quick drying towel should be sufficient, understand if it is raining some times thing don't dry and you have to deal with it,
5.) I am not a fan of water bladders because they can get nasty if not kept clean, you can buy a .5L water bottle for about 1 euro, carry it in you pocket and refill it often enough from Sarria that you will not have a problem,
6.) Boots v shoes, now there is good question. I am 69 years old with very serious nerve damage in one foot, I require the ankle support a boot gives me even on the hottest, flattest day crossing the Meseta. From Sarria to Santiago the climbs are not serious enough for boots while the mud might get inside your shoes if it has been raining for day. I have seen barefoot pilgrims, I have seen pilgrims in sandals, flip-flops and Crocs. The most important thing is to find footwear that works for you and spend a lot of time breaking them in. Spread Vaseline on your feet every morning, wear silk liner sock and good Merino wool socks, even in the summer, and change them when you feet become sweaty.
There are many resources on this site to access about pros and cons of packing list, take a look!
Buen Camino

Hello everyone!

Shoes

Backpack
So
*Wash set
*2 Hiking towels
*poncho
*Phone and power bank
* Hat and sunglasses
*sunscreen
*fleece

Clothing

Patryk
Hi Pateyk, it's very cool that you will get to do a Camino!

Regarding shoes, it's always confusing when we talk about shoes vs. boots because really you want to be somewhere in the middle! I am not certain about UK brands, but make sure to go to a shop that specializes in walking and running shoes. Get something engineered for walking that is lightweight and breathable. Make sure the shop has a sales person who knows how to fit walking shoes.

Regarding your backpack, I have the same advice. Find a shop that can fit you personally and try the pack on. I personally also use a bladder, but they have some disadvantages. It's hard to tell when they are getting empty and they can be a bit hard to fill in a small sink. Will you use trekking poles? If not a water bottle can also work. Just some food ( or water) for thought!

Regarding your list so far:
1. Make sure one of your shirts is a light weight breathable button down shirt for wind and sun protection as well as for a layer.
2. I'm not sure you need a fleece in July. The long sleeve shirt ( see above) is probably enough.
3. I think you only need one towel unless I misunderstand what you mean.
4. You don't mention anything for sleeping -- I would take a silk sleeping bag liner. That way you don't have to sleep directly on the Albergue matress/cover and you can cover up (if only for privacy) in the Albergue.
5. I assume you will also take two pairs so walking pants/shorts.

You will probably get lots more advice, but this is what came to my mind!

Buen Camino!

Liz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As you are in the Uk you might want to check out your local Cotswold Outdoor shop. They really know their stuff and will take their time to properly fit a backpack and footwear. They will also recommend what is best for you rather than just try and sell you something. And their return policy is good. I'm not connected to this store in any way, but as posted above, it really is important to have correctly fitting footwear and backpack.

Buen Camino Patryk!

5. I assume you will also take two pairs so walking pants/shorts.

Liz

Ah, Yes forgot to add the shorts in, will cargo pants do or will thet take long to dry?

As you are in the Uk you might want to check out your local Cotswold Outdoor shop. They really know their stuff and will take their time to properly fit a backpack and footwear. They will also recommend what is best for you rather than just try and sell you something. And their return policy is good. I'm not connected to this store in any way, but as posted above, it really is important to have correctly fitting footwear and backpack.

Buen Camino Patryk!

From the looks of the website i will be sure to pop in and have a look! Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think a single change of clothes is sufficient, except with underwear and socks. 3 pairs of each. Good thick wool socks are best. New with plenty of spring in them. Get the kind of hiking pants that convert into shorts. I recommend tech underwear that will help reduce chafing (briefs, not boxers). I say that because my son had some serious chafing due to his tech boxers. He has actual scars from it. One long sleeve shirt, one short sleeve. I loved my water bladder and it was never yucky. I drink an awful lot of water. A bottle to fill would never have been enough. I never had a problem filling it up. Don't go cheap with it - I bought an Osprey one and it is still good. My friend bought some no brand thing and it sprung a leak 4 days in. One towel is more than sufficient. Lots of places have towels. You won't even use the one very often.
I wear boots - sports injuries to my ankles mean I need them. My son played a lot of football and he needed the support of his boots too for the same reason. But once the weather warmed up I walked in my Tevas a couple of times. Just make sure the sole of your shoe/boot is thick and rugged so you can handle the rocky and steep ascents and descents. Running shoes wont cut it.
Once you're there buy some sort of 3 in 1 shampoo (body wash, shampoo/conditioner). Wear your socks and underwear into the shower and wash them with the same stuff.
You are going to have a BLAST!

Since it is July I say take one pair of convertible hiking pants and one pair of tech shorts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Patryk JM Wecome to the forum.
Two other places that come to mind, especially if you are on a tight budget, are Millets and Mountain Warehouse (both have websites). We have had several items from the latter and they quite often have offers - eg water bottles, buy one get one half price. (Water bottles are great but are easiest if your pack has external side pockets to fit them in) I would suggest that you try several places before making a decision and you can always buy items from different stores according to what fits best. Packs and shoes need trying on rather than ordering on-line unless you have no alternative.
One set of clothes to wear, one set to carry. Long sleeves can protect from the sun and roll up, zip off trousers can be protection or shorts. Extra socks and undies as planned and a single travel towel. Mountain Warehouse made good very light fleeces back in 2008/9 and might also have light waterproofs too.
The liquid allowance on UK airraft is that all liquids/creams can be in 100ml bottles/tubes only but you can carry more than one and they must fit into a given sized plastic bag. This includes shampoo, toothpaste etc. Your group leader should be able to give you more advice on that.
Have a great time. Buen Camino

@Patryk JM Wecome to the forum.
Two other places that come to mind, especially if you are on a tight budget, are Millets and Mountain Warehouse (both have websites). We have had several items from the latter and they quite often have offers - eg water bottles, buy one get one half price. (Water bottles are great but are easiest if your pack has external side pockets to fit them in) I would suggest that you try several places before making a decision and you can always buy items from different stores according to what fits best. Packs and shoes need trying on rather than ordering on-line unless you have no alternative.
One set of clothes to wear, one set to carry. Long sleeves can protect from the sun and roll up, zip off trousers can be protection or shorts. Extra socks and undies as planned and a single travel towel. Mountain Warehouse made good very light fleeces back in 2008/9 and might also have light waterproofs too.
The liquid allowance on UK airraft is that all liquids/creams can be in 100ml bottles/tubes only but you can carry more than one and they must fit into a given sized plastic bag. This includes shampoo, toothpaste etc. Your group leader should be able to give you more advice on that.
Have a great time. Buen Camino
Patryk -- one other thing that struck me when reading Tia's post. If you go to a good shop and try packs on and identify what you need -- you might be able to purchase the same model used. There is a buy and sell equipment section on the forum, ebay might hafe stuff and there may be other british sites on which you could purchase used equipment. Liz

Patryk -- one other thing that struck me when reading Tia's post. If you go to a good shop and try packs on and identify what you need -- you might be able to purchase the same model used. There is a buy and sell equipment section on the forum, ebay might hafe stuff and there may be other british sites on which you could purchase used equipment. Liz
A good idea maybe, but I would be a little cautious as we bought a 'same name pack' last year and the newer model does not fit well at all :(. If buying second hand it would be very important to check that it is truly like the one tried.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here's the pack I just used - 22 liter capacity with a waist strap and 2 liter water bladder built in. Worked great, although it was a tight fit getting all of my stuff into it. Had to settle for a pair of hiking sandals instead of shoes as my backup pair.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXRJIR0/?tag=casaivar02-20

Most read last week in this forum

I've now completed 3 Caminos including the Francés, Inglés (with a León-Sarria side trip) and Arles-Aragónes-Francés. I've hiked and backpacked most of my life. I've learned from others and by...
Hi all! I know shoes are discussed quite a bit here but I have a last minute question as I head out on the Camino Frances next Sunday. I have a weaker ankle so I purchase the Oboz Sapphire Mid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.