• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time

Samantha77

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2025
Hello,
I am planing to walk the frances route in May.
I have searched so much that I'm now confused 😕
Please can I have advice on the best backpack for a 5ft5 female? I'm not planning to take extra luggage as I don't know where I will be staying each night, which I may regret after 5 weeks of walking! I'm currently looking at the Osprey Stratos 34 litre.
Please help me with this .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Stratos is ok, don't go further than 40L. Deuter and Ferrino are good brands too! Just look for backpacks designed for women (almost every model has a female option).

I personally used a Ferrino Finisterre and a Osprey Kestrel

There is no single "best" backpack. You should try on several different ones perhaps in the 30-40L range, and decide (a) which one feels most comfortable when loaded and tested on a walk, (b) how you will access water, and (c) if all else is equal, which type of organization you might prefer in terms of pockets, openings, etc.

I use an Osprey Talon 33, which is not a "women's" design. Get some help in adjusting the size of the packs which offer such adjustments. This can make a big difference.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you. I will take your advice and get to a store rather than order online.
I'm very excited for this adventure!
I am preparing for my first camino in October. I was fitted at a sports store with an Osprey 36, women's fit and I am close to same height as you. Mine is a size small. I have been walking several times with it and it's very comfortable carrying about 5.5 kgs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am preparing for my first camino in October. I was fitted at a sports store with an Osprey 36, women's fit and I am close to same height as you. Mine is a size small. I have been walking several times with it and it's very comfortable carrying about 5.5 kgs.
Brilliant. Thank you do much for your reply 😊

I would also recommend, at your fitting, that you have them load the pack up with 10 to 15 pounds. This will help you to get a feel for how the pack sits on the hips with weight, while walking. At our REI, I walked around the store for 5 minutes with the weight with 2 different packs before settling on my pack - Osprey Stratos 36L. My son, same height as me, has the same pack but his settings are completely different due to torso length and shoulder width - as the guy at REI said, "This pack was meant for his body type, not yours." But, it was said with love and a smile.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Go to a good outdoor store to get fitted. Backpack size (not volume) is determined by torso length, not overall height.
Samantha, as you are in the UK you have some good options for retail outlets. The Cotswold chain has a good range of packs and staff are generally knowledgeable and helpful. Also Ellis Brigham and Snow + Rock have shops around the country. If you are in the South West, then one of the Taunton Leisure shops is also a good option. I imagine all these places sell the Osprey brand, so you can try that and compare it with others.
If your eyes start to water when you examine the price tags you can always go a bit further downmarket, to Decathlon where you'll get a decent pack for about half or a third of the price. A lot of people on the camino carry their Quechua brand packs. I used one for more than five years and it was excellent. Decathlon (like the other stores) have weighted sacks that can be put inside the pack, so you can get a rough idea as to how it feels when you're carrying some weight.

Hello,
I am planing to walk the frances route in May.
I have searched so much that I'm now confused 😕
Please can I have advice on the best backpack for a 5ft5 female? I'm not planning to take extra luggage as I don't know where I will be staying each night, which I may regret after 5 weeks of walking! I'm currently looking at the Osprey Stratos 34 litre.
Please help me with this .
My wife who is 5ft 2ins is currently carrying an Osprey Sirrus 36 on the Camino. Perfect size.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Sirrus is my favourite so far, so I'm glad you wrote that 😊
Thank you for replying.
Everyone are being so helpful.

Hi Samantha, I carry an Aarn 33L pack which is made in New Zealand. I chose it for my first Camino in 2012 because I have back problems off and on and it was recommended that the balance pockets help distribute the weight. I have carried it on many caminos since and indeed have had few back issues. I recently purchased a new 30L Arnn pack for hiking the Levante this October. The design is a bit different, but it does have the balance pockets. I’m hoping it works out as well. It might be a pack to look at. Cindy IMG_3100.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Opps….I spelled Aarn wrong in the above post. 🫤

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Opps….I spelled Aarn wrong in the above post. 🫤
If you don't wait too long you can edit your own posts to correct typos. I do that on almost everything I post. :) You’ll find the edit option by clicking the down triangle next to the three dots next to the Report link at the bottom of the post.

If you do wait too long and the option to edit is no longer there, you can ask a moderator to edit it for you.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.