• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time Pilgrim - What Day Bag?

Wildhogget

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances completed 28/03/2024
Hello everyone, my wife and I are going to walk from Sarria, and we will be having our bags taken to the next hostal everyday. What I need is just a day bag to carry the essentials, rain gear (will be in March), sticks, head torch, mobile phone plus battery, water, store my jacket of fleece if its too hot or cold. Oh and snacks, deffo snacks!!

Maybe other stuff i have forgotten about?

I just cannot visualize what size of bag i need, it also has to fit under RyanAir seats for the trip.

Any ideas tips would be greatly appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think, if you are getting luggage transferred forward, any day bag that is comfortable for you and size 20L or so will fit all your needs and also be able to go under the seat at Ryanair. I'd focus on comfort in your situation (not just comfortable fit for your body, but ease of packing, desired bonus features on the pack like an included rain cover or a water bladder pocket, etc.)

Welcome to the forum!

@rainswift is absolutely correct.

Re: forgotten items: mini first aid kit. By that I mean a couple of plasters/ band aids, a couple of painkillers and any essential medications, and whatever blister prevention system you're intending to use ( Vaseline/ hiker's wool or whatever).
If I may be so bold the only time you should ever be carrying your poles is in and out of a shop so you don't need space for them in your bag.....
They're there to carry you, not you them!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Wow thank you all for the tips and advice, will certainly take it all on board, laughed so much about the poles comment, but absolutely.
Was researching the Osprey Talon 22l as I think the 11l might be too small.

Hello everyone, my wife and I are going to walk from Sarria, and we will be having our bags taken to the next hostal everyday. What I need is just a day bag to carry the essentials, rain gear (will be in March), sticks, head torch, mobile phone plus battery, water, store my jacket of fleece if its too hot or cold. Oh and snacks, deffo snacks!!

I just cannot visualize what size of bag i need, it also has to fit under RyanAir seats for the trip.

If it’s going under a Ryanair seat then you’re going to be limited to 20 litres or less. At that size, and only carrying a day’s essentials, the format and construction is pretty immaterial.

There’s little point in going upmarket; I’d suggest a visit to Decathalon or similar.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For quite a while I did just fine with 13L (and that even had a bladder compartment. IMHO 22L is a tad too large. Many folks commented on various threads of similar topics that "if you have a room in your pack - you'll tend to carry more" (i.e. you'll wind up stuffing it with items you don't really need and possibly can do without)
If your main luggage is being trnsporetd then it is even possible to question the need of putting a jacket into your day pack. Chances are you'll figure out the weather either the night before or even that morning and act accordingly.
I for one favor vests. just as warmth-retaining but somewhat more compact and lighter. that could do on the cool days\mornings. A poncho will suffice in case of rain (IMHO).
and yeah you are not carrying your poles in your backpack :)
I agree with initial assessment of 20L and may suggest to even drop it a little (i.e. 18-20L)
Good luck and Buen Camino

I recommend that you have a proper pack (although small) with both hip belt and sternum strap, to suppoet even 2-3 kg.
I think that’s a moot point depending on how physically large you are. A 20l pack on a large ish male would have to be as thin as a drainpipe to have the length to fit a hip-belt which functioned as weight-bearing. On a small-ish female frame I’d agree.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

When I've transported my main pack I always carried in my daypack a weeks worth of my regular meds plus my little first aid kit. I also carried my flip flops because sometimes you can arrive before your pack and in an albergue you have to take off the footwear you've walked in. I also had room to stow my thin fleece if I'd started the day in an extra layer.
Whatever your kit or clothes it's always handy to try it out at home to check it works for you.

When I've transported my main pack I always carried in my daypack a weeks worth of my regular meds plus my little first aid kit. I also carried my flip flops because sometimes you can arrive before your pack and in an albergue you have to take off the footwear you've walked in. I also had room to stow my thin fleece if I'd started the day in an extra layer.
Whatever your kit or clothes it's always handy to try it out at home to check it works for you.
Thank you great advice, so what size day bag did you use for this type of trip, if I may ask how many litres?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you great advice, so what size day bag did you use for this type of trip, if I may ask how many litres?
I chose a Deuter Speed Lite 23 SL .

I found it very comfy and it has a more comfortable hip belt arrangement than many lightweight day packs. Water is heavy and I found most small packs rely purely on your shoulders which I didn't like. In use, I found I could reach the little zipped pocket at the top without taking the pack off. I used that for me heard torch and hat, so underway I could just stuff them in, great. I could reach the water bottle pockets each side without removing the pack too (with practice!). It has got provision for a water bladder if that is preferred. I carried 2 smaller bottles so the weight was more even. I didn't tend to use the chest strap pockets though my phone did fit in one. (I like my fanny pack too much.) It has two daisy-chain straps so I could easily pin on any damp clothes without piercing the pack. They stretchy outer pocket was great for stuffing my Altus poncho on wet days.

Downside: it was just too big for under the seat with Easyjet! But it did fit within my old Osprey Eja 38l backpack when I flew.

I was very happy with my choice.

In addition to other comments, the backpack has a chess strap. A back support strap is also desirable.

Als het onder een Ryanair-stoel gaat, ben je beperkt tot 20 liter of minder. Bij dat formaat, en met slechts de essentiële benodigdheden voor een dag, zijn het formaat en de constructie vrij onbelangrijk.

Het heeft weinig zin om voor de hogere prijsklasse te gaan; Ik zou een bezoek aan Decathalon of iets dergelijks aanraden.
Zonnbrand crème!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

This bag I've added to a water bottle holder, it has straps below that hold my rain jacket. One strap so I can swing it to the front to access a jacket or snack

Attachments

• IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 3

A day bag is really a second bag. Instead, use a backpack with the assumption you are not using baggage transport. On the days you use baggage transport place everything being transported in a ikea blue bag. Your backpack with just day pack items will weigh next to nothing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi Wildhogget, I did this stretch with my hubby a few years back; you'll love it! We carried our packs, as I've done a few routes (1 week only each trip!) & my pack gets lighter each time. Once it's well padded on the back area & has a waist & chest strap (so your hands are 'free' for poles, drinks, phone/camera/map etc. Don't 4get transfer to Sarria from SdC? You can maybe share a taxi with others? Contact your albergue in Sarria to check others arriving (flight) same day. There is train/bus also I think? It's 2 hours away. We had pick-up arranged; pricey, but worth it to arrive early evening, check-in, eat & sleep before 1st day walking. Don't 4get Compeed plasters &

Don't 4get Compeed plasters & Panadol for your first aid kit; always handy to have a few, tho you can purchase en route also. Gloves are handy for 'March of many weathers'! Transport to Sarria sorted? Don't pack too many snacks; lots of cafes/shops on this route .. but bring your favs of course ☺️ Backpack with back padding, waist & chest strap to keep hands free for sticks, drinks, snacks, phone/camera/map. Neck bandana has multi-uses & dries fast. Rain cover for your backpack! Often included in bottom-zipped section of back pack. Rain gear & comfortable footwear/socks imperative in March ... miserable if you get soaked early in day! Pack 'sense of humour' & 'go with the flow attitude' also ... & every day be an adventure! Did this route with hubby also, but we carried our packs. Enjoy your 'journey' & Buen Camino! 😇👣😉

Hi Wildhogget, I did this stretch with my hubby a few years back; you'll love it! We carried our packs, as I've done a few routes (1 week only each trip!) & my pack gets lighter each time. Once it's well padded on the back area & has a waist & chest strap (so your hands are 'free' for poles, drinks, phone/camera/map etc. Don't 4get transfer to Sarria from SdC? You can maybe share a taxi with others? Contact your albergue in Sarria to check others arriving (flight) same day. There is train/bus also I think? It's 2 hours away. We had pick-up arranged; pricey, but worth it to arrive early evening, check-in, eat & sleep before 1st day walking. Don't 4get Compeed plasters &

Don't 4get Compeed plasters & Panadol for your first aid kit; always handy to have a few, tho you can purchase en route also. Gloves are handy for 'March of many weathers'! Transport to Sarria sorted? Don't pack too many snacks; lots of cafes/shops on this route .. but bring your favs of course ☺️ Backpack with back padding, waist & chest strap to keep hands free for sticks, drinks, snacks, phone/camera/map. Neck bandana has multi-uses & dries fast. Rain cover for your backpack! Often included in bottom-zipped section of back pack. Rain gear & comfortable footwear/socks imperative in March ... miserable if you get soaked early in day! Pack 'sense of humour' & 'go with the flow attitude' also ... & every day be an adventure! Did this route with hubby also, but we carried our packs. Enjoy your 'journey' & Buen Camino! 😇👣😉
Wow that is a ton of advice, thank you so much, well I actually live in Spain, and will be going from BCN to SDC, by plane as mentioned, then I have organized transport to take us to Sarria.
I think if I could fit the Ospre Talon 22l under my RyanAir seat I would probally choose that, if not the Talon 11. I just hate the fact of not having enough space in the bag. Yes and totally agree with the weather. We don't normally take our jacket off until the "cuarenta de mayo!" 😁

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated

I used a

Is your wife going to carry her own pack?
If so I use a Dueter AC Lite 21SL, which is designed for a female. It works perfect for any day hike. The most important aspect is comfort and fit. Buen Camino! 🥾

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Smallest backpack with good padding or a crossbag, 10-20l.

Just walk in Tarragona's or Reus' Decathlon and take a look. For the 4-5 days it just not need to be totally fancy. For short daytrips I'm happy with my MH100, that's the smallest size with a comfortable waistbelt, so your shoulders aren't stressed.

I wish I could revisit Tarragona in the future. Was on vacation in Hospitalet de L'Infant a few years ago.

Have a pleasant Camino!

Further thought: if you’re sending a bag ahead you might consider making it a rucksack. Depending on your chosen style of accommodation ‘suitcases’ might not be accepted.

My personal experience of many (certainly not all able-bodied ‘bag shippers’ is that they’re in more upmarket lodgings where this is not an issue.

Further thought: if you’re sending a bag ahead you might consider making it a rucksack. Depending on your chosen style of accommodation ‘suitcases’ might not be accepted.

My personal experience of many (certainly not all able-bodied ‘bag shippers’ is that they’re in more upmarket lodgings where this is not an issue.
Thanks for the heads up, basically it is a cabin size wheelie, so hopefully no problemo there.
But good to know, will send the package provider an email to see if there are any restrictions.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Savotta’s Jääkäri Small would be a great choice. Its capacity is nominally 20 litres, but by letting the straps out can easily be expanded to hold about 25 litres whenever needed. And if desired the ample PALS webbing permits various pouches to attached (I like one or two 9 mm pistol magazine pouches, which hold chocolate or energy bars perfectly).

64576.jpg

You can purchase from Ray Mears or various other retailers.

Hola! If by sticks you mean hiking poles, then be mindful that airport security and/or the airline might not let you bring them on-board. If you were planning to put them in your suitcase for the cargo hold, then you're OK. I think that considering your list the 18-20 Liter recommendations will work for you. I'd suggest finding one that may have a water reservoir and straps to carry things on the outside as well (like the sticks). Buen Camino.

Hola! If by sticks you mean hiking poles, then be mindful that airport security and/or the airline might not let you bring them on-board. If you were planning to put them in your suitcase for the cargo hold, then you're OK. I think that considering your list the 18-20 Liter recommendations will work for you. I'd suggest finding one that may have a water reservoir and straps to carry things on the outside as well (like the sticks). Buen Camino.
Thank you very much for the heads up, as a frequent traveller, I guessed than and although we only have hand lugage, I will have to send them in a cardboard tube in the hold. Some people get lucky and get through but not worth the risk. Even the other day on board a plane a women was sitting there knitting with the longest needles I have ever seen, how is that possible??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.