• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time camino de santiago 20/f

zoemarie

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey , my names Zoe and I'm fairly determined to walk the full camino de santiago around may next year (2013) , I just have a couple of questions that my research hasnt found out yet ;
- Do you need to make any reservations for places to stay before you get there or do you just go with the flow?
- How much money would you recommend carrying with you ?
- I will have just turned 20 by then, is it relatively safe for a 20 year old girl to travel alone (do you see many young girls starting out alone) ?
- Finally, I have no prolonged hiking experience, i do however live in North Wales and often walk Snowdon ect , I am used to walking, is this enough experience?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer, even if you can just help me out with one of these things :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You do not need to make reservations in advance.

In May there will be a lot of younger pilgrims, and you will be accompanied by nearly 100 fellow pilgrims to help you, and to make friends with.

The typical budget is 30Euro per day.

The camino is not easy, but you will recover rapidly if you avoid overexerting and damaging something. Train a bit before you leave, and be sure your footwear fits comfortably. Take it easy the first week. You will be fine!

Hola Zoe

The budget of around 30€ per day is about right. You don't need to carry a lot of cash with you as there are ATMs at regular intervals. Make arrangements with your bank to they know you are in Spain during that period and you could consider one of the travel cards which you can top up with cash which might cut down on bank charges.

In terms of preparation...walking up Snowdon is masses more than a lot of people do...keep on walking!

Regards

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Zoe,
In May, you won't need reservations. Just go with the flow. Some days you will be walking alone, and other days you will be with friends. Make the decision to stop for coffee or stop for the night on the spur of the moment.

A 20 year old woman with common sense will have no problems. The Camino is safe, but don't leave your wallet in view when you go into the shower. In fact, I put my wallet, passport and plane tickets in my shaving kit and leave it on a hook with my clothes while I'm in the shower.

Hola Zoe and welcome.
We walked the Camino (Primtivo) this May and then Pen Y Fan from near the Storey Arms in July. We actually found Pen Y Fan harder in many ways than the Camino. So if you are walking Snowdonia and ultimately can do 15km or so on 2 or 3 successive days carrying your Camino pack you should be really well prepared. You are better than many already :)
Have a wonderful Camino

Zoe. The responses above sum it all up. You're ready to go. Just make sure you take the advice elsewhere on this site about your packing and equipment needs.

My sister climbed Snowdon last week. The railway doesn't allow dogs, apparently so she had to walk. (It's not that my sister is a dog, she's just got one. :D ) She had to be comforted by a couple of bottles of wine afterwards. The Camino is a bit different due to the number of days walking so you might pace yourself a bit differently, but you'll have the time of your life and be very safe.

Buen Camino and enjoy all your preparations!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Zoe! I too am walking in May 2013 - and sooo excited..... I will look out for you. I am sure you will be safe. By the looks of things the high Way will be pretty busy in May so you will never be lonely. You'll be much fitter than me as I will be 50 years older (that does sound dreadful!) but they tell me stamina comes with age. We'll see.... Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.