• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Camino-er leaving end of September.....

Roots&Wings

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct (2012)
Hello all!

Finally, I have joined the forum after a couple months of reading on with the INCREDIBLY helpful advice and knowledge everyone has been sharing. I am in the Seattle, WA area, will be taking off with my boyfriend middle to end of September (still have to purchase tickets!) Spending a week or so in NJ/NY prior to flying into Barcelona.

We are hoping to start our trek in Pamplona, due to time. Any word on if we should just bite the bullet and start in SJPP and try to make it in time to Santiago?? We are planning on 40 days for the trek. Timing can't be forced and we don't want to rush our experience and enjoyment for the purpose of catching an airplane at the last moment! We would rather take a little bit off our trek and start in Pamplona, so we can pace ourselves........ Any ideas on that????

Looking forward to the trek.... wrapping up life in the states. El Camino will be the beginning of a long string of life changes and unknown destinations. :p

Words or ideas are welcomed and encouraged. Just need to get new comfortable boots (and break them in) and mentally prepare. Buen camino to all that are taking off soon!!

-Shanetta

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Shanetta!

Pamplona would certainly be easier to get to. The main thing you would miss would be the iconic walk over the mountain between SJPP and Roncesvalles. Some pilgrims have to take the alternative valley route anyway due to weather conditions, or just through choice (as I did).

Last year I started in SJPP, and this year in Pamplona. I don't think I consider either better than the other apart from that the first Camino was special for being the first! :D As I said, I didn't do the mountain route though. The main thing is that you feel free to enjoy your Camino and not be walking to a tight schedule.

Buen Camino!

Hola Shanetta

40 days is more than enough time to walk from StJPdP to Santiago if that is what you choose to do. Getting to St Jean from Pamplona is reasonably straightforward.

Many, many pilgrims find that they reach Santiago more quickly than they first estimated because stamina builds and they walk a little further each day than they though beforehand they would. I often encounter pilgrims in Santiago with time in hand because of this.

With 40 days you can relax and walk at your own pace - I think you will quickly find you will reach the Tomb of the Apostle easily within the time you have available. My advice is not to think to much about it - just get to the starting point and...get started.

Buen camino

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the input :D

Tyrrek, I definately appreciate hearing from someone who has done both, taken and not taken the usual route through the Pyrenees. From what I gather, it is exceptionally beautiful.

John, I definately think once we get to Barcelona we will have a better sense of our energy level and will know where to begin, whether it be in SJPP or Pamplona. I'm delightfully surprised to hear most peregrinos make it before the time they expected!

Even if we don't start in SJPP, I'm sure we will at some point again. This is to be the first camino, of what I'm hoping, is many!

Thanks for the valuable information guys! Really dig the tips........................

-Shanetta

Shanetta, I started my first leg in Le Puy and ended in Pamplona, crossing the Pyrenees via Valcarlos because of the unexpected cold in May 2010. In February of 2011, I went back to the same hotel in Pamplona and just continued on. While I would love to cross the mountains via the pass, Valcarlos is a fine route in its own right, and Pamplona is just a great place to start walking. (I should add that people behind me were going via the pass at Roncesvalles in Feb 2011 without much difficulty, while it was quite hazardous in late spring the previous year.)

All the advice given so far is great, and I can't see you going wrong if you're prepared to adjust to circumstances. Obviously, I'm always in favour of going slow, but, if everyone was like me, Saint James himself would still only be edging his way through Italy. The main thing is...

It's going to be great!

Rob

Hi Shanetta, Technically we finish the pilgrimage in Santiago (though we all know that once you set out on pilgrimage, you never finish), we start wherever we happen to be. Don't worry about having enough time - 40 days is oodles of time to start from SJPDP if you so desire and you'd still have days at the end to enjoy SDC.

Having enough time means that you can choose to start from wherever takes your fancy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Robert and Julie, thank you for your words! Gives me good options to think about.

This information has been really helpful already........... Looking forward to leaving. Just bought tickets last night. Arriving in Barcelona 25 September. Let the countdown begin!

-Shanetta

Here is some basic math that the others haven't covered.
The distance from SJPP to Santiago is 780 kms, more or less.

Walking at a very common rate of 24 kms per day, you will get from SJPP to Santiago in 33 days.
An average speed is 4 kms per hour, so think of walking about 6 hours per day.

You only need to walk 20 kms or 5 hours per day to go from SJPP to the tomb of the apostle in 40 days.

I think you will have time left over, even if you leave from SJPP.
Keep the thought of continuing to Finisterre, the end of the discovered world in medieval times. It is 3 days walk past Santiago.

No "Must do" here. Just good wishes for a wonderful journey.
Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Thank you David. Very helpful! We had calculated distance and time, but of course it is mostly guestimates as we didn't really know what the typical (and realistic) amount of hours we would need to walk in order to get there with time to spare. Thanks for your input!

I think we have actually decided to leave from Pamplona. Almost 100% sure on that. We are definately open to walking to Finisterre if we so feel the calling and the energy at that particular time. We are both very much coastal people, and I think we will feel the urge after being inland for the entire walk. :p

Leaving in 24 days............ :D

-Shanetta

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good Luck Shanetta! I will be arriving in Madrid on October 2, and will be starting at SJPP or Roncevalles as I wish to go to Finisterre! It is the romantic in me. I have given myself 34 days.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.