• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Camino

PaulineRoozen

Time of past OR future Camino
Haarlem (Netherlands) - Santiago august 2018
Hey everyone!
My name is Pauline and I'm from the Netherlands. I'm planning to walk from Haarlem (Netherlands) to Santiago in aprox. 4 months next year July-Oct. I've been doing some research, but I also have a lot of questions. This forum has been very helpfull already.
I was wondering:
- If there are any guidebooks recommended for the Caminos in France and The Camino del Norte/Primitivo.
- Any routes I definetly shouldn't do by myself
- Are there a lot of additional costs focused on the bus/train or any other transport. I'm trying to do everything by foot when possible
- Any tips or advice for newbies

Thank you very much!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum @PaulineRoozen! Sounds like a wonderful undertaking. The guide we used for the Camino del Norte is this one: https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...thern-caminos-guide-with-free-camino-passport

I don't think there is one guide for all the caminos in France, you probably need to decide which one you will walk and look for the specific guide available for that one. Plenty of information about the different French ways here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/#routes-in-france.52

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Pauline, welcome and congrats on taking the decision to walk from Haarlem to Santiago. I wish I could do it all over again, to be honest... I started further south (from Breda, as @Peter already mentioned) and used the following guides:

Via Brabantica, Breda to Geldenaken (Jodoigne) in Belgium. Made by the Flemish Association of SdC, and I bought it online at the Dutch Association of Saint James.

In Geldenaken I switched to the Via Monastica and followed it to Rocroi, just over the Belgian/French border. Same story for the guide as described above.

From Rocroi I took the Via Campaniensis to Vezelay, through the Champagne-Ardenne region of France. I bought the (translated in Dutch!) guide from the Association Randonneurs et Pelerins 51 online. I met some people from RP51 in the cathedral in Reims, a very dedicated and knowledgeable bunch.

From Vezelay on, the start of the Via Lemovicensis, I used the VĂ©zelay guide published by the Dutch Association of Saint James (which is also available in English and updated as of january 2017). Note that there are two guides: one with the variant Nevers and the other with the route through Bourges. They update it every year, so you might want to wait for the new 2018 version.

Since you plan to walk the Norte/Primitivo, you'll have to look into that yourself, because the Vezelay route ends in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and I walked the Frances. Plenty of guides (and threads on this forum), so that won't be a problem. All the guides I used brought me safely to SJPdP, so thoroughly recommended.

I consider every route doable for both men and women who walk solo. Just take sensible precautions as you would in daily life, and maybe browse through the Personal Safety section of this forum for hints and tips.

As for additional costs for transportation, there aren't any. You can walk it every step of the way. Budget-wise, I got by on €30,- a day, which is easy in Spain but slightly more difficult before that. Bring a lightweight tent, I used that a lot for added freedom and saving money.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to PM me. (Click on my username or avatar on the left and select "start a conversation" on the pop-up). And when you pass through Breda next year, consider yourself invited: shower, hot meal and small guest room are available in our house.

Happy planning and buen camino!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
My name is Pauline and I'm from the Netherlands. I'm planning to walk from Haarlem (Netherlands) to Santiago in aprox. 4 months next year July-Oct. I've been doing some research, but I also have a lot of questions. This forum has been very helpfull already.
I was wondering:
- If there are any guidebooks recommended for the Caminos in France and The Camino del Norte/Primitivo.
- Any routes I definetly shouldn't do by myself
- Are there a lot of additional costs focused on the bus/train or any other transport. I'm trying to do everything by foot when possible
- Any tips or advice for newbies

Thank you very much!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Pauline, welcome and congrats on taking the decision to walk from Haarlem to Santiago. I wish I could do it all over again, to be honest... I started further south (from Breda, as @Peter already mentioned) and used the following guides:

Via Brabantica, Breda to Geldenaken (Jodoigne) in Belgium. Made by the Flemish Association of SdC, and I bought it online at the Dutch Association of Saint James.

In Geldenaken I switched to the Via Monastica and followed it to Rocroi, just over the Belgian/French border. Same story for the guide as described above.

From Rocroi I took the Via Campaniensis to Vezelay, through the Champagne-Ardenne region of France. I bought the (translated in Dutch!) guide from the Association Randonneurs et Pelerins 51 online. I met some people from RP51 in the cathedral in Reims, a very dedicated and knowledgeable bunch.

From Vezelay on, the start of the Via Lemovicensis, I used the VĂ©zelay guide published by the Dutch Association of Saint James (which is also available in English and updated as of january 2017). Note that there are two guides: one with the variant Nevers and the other with the route through Bourges. They update it every year, so you might want to wait for the new 2018 version.

Since you plan to walk the Norte/Primitivo, you'll have to look into that yourself, because the Vezelay route ends in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and I walked the Frances. Plenty of guides (and threads on this forum), so that won't be a problem. All the guides I used brought me safely to SJPdP, so thoroughly recommended.

I consider every route doable for both men and women who walk solo. Just take sensible precautions as you would in daily life, and maybe browse through the Personal Safety section of this forum for hints and tips.

As for additional costs for transportation, there aren't any. You can walk it every step of the way. Budget-wise, I got by on €30,- a day, which is easy in Spain but slightly more difficult before that. Bring a lightweight tent, I used that a lot for added freedom and saving money.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to PM me. (Click on my username or avatar on the left and select "start a conversation" on the pop-up). And when you pass through Breda next year, consider yourself invited: shower, hot meal and small guest room are available in our house.

Happy planning and buen camino!

Thank you very much! This is a very big help! I'll definitely send you a message when I have some more questions!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.