• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time -hello!

Jennifer Juniper

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances fall 2014 or 2015
I am a new member and have been browsing the forums for a couple of days. I am very grateful for all the help I've found so far, and since I will be doing this alone,I know its going to be my main source for information,-and hopefully a place to meet and talk with some fellow pilgrims.I am disabled with osteoarthritis and severe fibromyalgia among some other problems, and I will be so grateful for any tips and support as I prepare myself to do this amazing walk.
I am a 56 year old life professed Anglican nun from Canada.I aim to walk inSeptember/October 2014, but on doctor's advice may have to be flexible on the date.The first thing I learned about chronic pain disabilities is:be prepared to change plans on short notice. The second was to never let this disability be the most important thing about myself.But, obviously I have to listen to the pain to keep from setting myself back.
To me, the Camino is walking. My doctor would prefer I biked,but I haven't ridden for years and I worry about falling and pushing it through the really rocky stretches that I've noticed in youtube vids. Id be grateful for any advice pro and con. Is French spoken on the Camino?I plan to take some Spanish, but I'm stronger in either French or English.I am really looking forward to meeting you in the forum, and maybe even along the Way.
Please excuse the glitches .My tablet has a gremlin!

I've been reading about.I am accustomed to solitude, but I look forward to meeting and spending time walking with other pilgrims,too.I don't speak Spanish (yet),but I ve always found French helped a lotij my travels to Africa and Asia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sure it will be an experience you won't forget in a hurry. See the 'Speak Spanish or Portuguese?' section where you can get some great advice. As anywhere, the locals like it when you at least make an effort to speak their language. Knowing some French also helps because you will be so near the French border and many people from Spain will have lived and worked there. Also, of course, you will come across many people who enjoy the chance to catch up on their English.

I am hoping to ride the route this year with my husband. We chose bikes simply because we have always cycled and have spent some wonderful holidays in France - this will be our first time in Spain! Like you, I have a problem with osteoarthritis and have to take it easy. Cycling certainly seems to be a great way of getting exercise, while not doing any damage. It helps to enjoy the sport as well. I suspect that much of the route on the Camino will be rideable, although we fully expect to have to join other traffic in places where we cannot take the bikes. Part of me would love to walk the route as the experience would, I suspect, be a wonderful one.

As you have a chronic disability, you will, of course, pace yourself carefully and try to not overdo things. Would it be possible for you to walk for a week then rest up for a few days before starting off again? Lots of time to stop and do a bit of sightseeing and contemplating along the way without putting yourself, or anybody else, in danger.

Bom Caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you both for such a warm welcome!I hadn't thought about walking a week, then resting-it sounds like a good idea, as I am blessed to not be pressed for time.I wondered about renting a bike in Pamplona.Does anyone know where I could do that? I think I can manage 10-15 km a day walking, and hopefully more as I adjust, but I also wonder about walking/biking and renting in different centres if there is a place where you can ride and then turn in the bike where you stop-or do they have to be returned to the place where I originally rented it? Can arrangements be made for bike returns? I have been following posts and watching youtube, and it seems like most walking pilgrims are managing 20-30km a day, which makes my 15 seem very feeble. Then I'll see a post about making my own Camino without worrying about speed and covering prescribed distances. Obviously I have to make it from one auberge or hotel to the next as I know I won't be able to carry a tent.So many questions and .considerations. Some days I feel very discouraged, but I try to listen more to the Spirit and my heart than my doubts. Can that Camino devil cross oceans?Get thee behind me, Satan!!

it seems like most walking pilgrims are managing 20-30km a day, which makes my 15 seem very feeble
Don't worry about what others do! It will ruin your camino.

I can understand your fears. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia at 33. When I decided to walk the Camino, my biggest fear was what I would do if I had one of my onset that cripples me and forces me to stay in bed for 2 days... Well, it never happened and I had never felt so strong than I did walking 22-28 km. Trust that if it happens, lovely people will take care of you and support you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I was hoping there were some others with fibromyalgia who would share their experience. And you're from Montreal, too-where I grew up! Were you able to do the whole Camino?How far could you walk each day on average?Do you have any tips?I worry that no one will know what fibromyalgia is, and of course I fear flare ups on the Way.How did you prepare for your Camino?Sorry to flood you with questions.Its just that I find your post so encouraging that all of a sudden I am feeling happy and excited again,instead of anxious.What time of year did you go?Do you normally use a cane or knee braces?
Thank you so much for posting!

Yes, I was able to complete the Camino in May-June 2011 and I'm going back this September. I walked between 17 and 34 km every day. The only thing that prevented me from walking was blisters, not fibromylagia. I was not hurting any more or less than any other pilgrim. I walked with 2 sticks and recommend it highly, for both physical and mental support. I'm not scared this time.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful video. You know, I started watching the youtube Camino offerings and at first was just enchanted by them, and so inspired by the pilgrims who had made them. Then somehow I got stuck on a series of vids made of someones trip, and there was a real, dark kind of undertone to them- in fact, thats when I first experienced fears and doubts about my ability to do this. Your video is so gorgeous, calming and joy-filled. I feel restored. Thanks for bringing all the positives back!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love this thread, and can feel the enthusiasm from both of you filling me. Although I will be cycling the route mostly, I have been wondering also about walking part of the way. Or perhaps we will go back another year to just walk the route. One thing I have learned on the forum is that you are there for yourself - not anybody else. And you will find your own way or walking, the distance, and so on. Very encouraged to see that you didn't get any real problems with your health, CaminoGem. I get horrible attacks of arthritis, and now swelling, particularly in my hands. One of the reasons I want to do the Camino is because I truly believe it has healing powers. Not that I expect to be healed you understand (although strangers things have happened), but to just know that it is possible to do such a trek even while having health problems, is enough to give me courage.

I am presently reading about Shirley MacLaine's walking experience on the Camino. What an amazing woman! I am truly inspired by her. And she had reporters trying to get pictures as well! I would hate that because one of the things about the Camino is that you should be able to get free time for contemplation and self-reflection while walking.

I do hope we 'bump' into each other sometime this year. I will be the one on a white bike, with a long-suffering soul-mate (in the guise of my husband) and armed with a wad-full of postcards which I intend to send back to my grandchildren in the hope that they, too, will feel the lure of the Camino one day.

a wad-full of postcards which I intend to send back to my grandchildren in the hope that they, too, will feel the lure of the Camino one day.
Can I suggest that when you find an open Correos (post office) that you buy enough stamps for several of your cards. We carried our cards from Tineo to Lugo before we found an open Correos, simply because we left before they opened and arrived after they closed :( . There were plenty of boxes had they been stamped :) .

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.