• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time Pilgrim from the US

megi

Hello,

My name is Megan, and I am planning to walk the camino starting in June. I am from the US, but currently live in the Czech Republic. My plan is to walk the camino del norte and then take the camino primitivo through Oviedo. I have no time line. I am going with no return ticket and as little plan as possible except to let the road take me where it will. I already appreciate the advice on this forum and I only registered today.

Megan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Megan,
Welcome to the forum! Your planning sounds like the dream of most pilgrims - to be able to walk with no set time frame! To go as far and for as long as you like!

Be sure to check out the thread about the Camino del Norte - you'll find plenty of information there.
Buen Camino,

Welcome Meghan!

I am from Atlanta and did it last summer. Wish I had your situation and could take as long as I wanted.
There is plenty of information here. Read the FAQs, some of the posts and then ask away your questions.

Living in the Czech Republic, you will not have the typical American culture shock, so you should be fine.

Best of Luck.

Rambler

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rambler said:
Living in the Czech Republic, you will not have the typical American culture shock, so you should be fine.

?
Can you expand, Rambler?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bridget and Peter said:
Rambler said:

?
Can you expand, Rambler?

"Dude, what's with the tiny cars...? And the tiny houses...? And the tiny everything...? And why the gol durn don't these PAH-EE-SAHN-OHS don't speeka the English?"

(Seen too many ugly Americans in my day...) :oops:

Nice to meet all of you!

Yeah, I am very lucky that I decided to do the pilgrimage really between phases of my life. I am finishing a job here and haven't figured out my next move. I realize that I am incredibly lucky to have the freedom that I have. I've been wanting to go on pilgrimage for 5 years or so, but things come at just the right moment I think.

I am training. I live in a hilly area of the Czech Republic with lots of great hiking nearby, and I have been (even before deciding to go on pilgrimage) taking a couple 10K hikes each weekend, plus walks up and down the castle hill during the week (in addition to the normal European level of walking), but now I will start increasing my distances. I'm not in fantastic shape, but I also think that I will be as prepared as I'll be, and with no time limit I have the option to stop and rest if I really need to, and whatever preparation I have will have to be enough.

As for culture shock, maybe I won't have typical American culture shock, but I'm sure I'll have a shock going from the Czech Republic to Spain as well. I was just talking to a Czech friend who is also planning to do the pilgrimage later in the summer, and he was commenting on how much of a shock Spain was for him the first time he went there, so I'm interested to see what things I find strange or new or difficult in terms of culture.

Oh, and Rambler, we're from the same area. I'm originally from Chattanooga, TN, and my family still lives there. That's home after the pilgrimage for me.

Thanks for all your comments. :)

Megan

Well, I just had to say hello since I am in Atlanta myself...we should form a Camino group here when you get back from Czech Republic.

Keep in touch and Buen Camino!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bridget and Peter said:
Rambler said:

?
Can you expand, Rambler?

My comment was only in response to the stereotypical reaction to an American when they see their first No. European walking through the albergue in his underwear...

... and the lack of McDonald's in every town. And why don't more people in Spain speak American?

;)

Rambler

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.