• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer!!! Celebrating my graduation w/father (some questions)

Isabella Sinocort

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to do the Camino next month (September 2017) with my dad after finishing my MSc degree
Next month, my dad and I are doing a short version of El Camino for 8 days to celebrate the end of my masters degree. It is also a very special occasion because the first time we are a both traveling together!!! Since we have limited time and want to get the most juice out of the lemons. I have several questions the expert pilgrims can answer: 1) which route do you recommend the most as first timer considering the amount of days? 2) would you choose bike over walking to travel longer distances, 3) is it safe/ recommendable to go by bike? Are streets in good conditions or bikes in very good shape!!? THANK YOU for any hint in advance

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I will toss a bunch of questions back at you :D... Is traveling longer distances important? Is it important to arrive in Santiago at the end? Are you hoping to spend time being introspective and/or talking to each other and other people? (Walking seems more likely to encourage that quiet bonding.) Or, are you experienced cyclists who want to share the athletic experience?

I don't cycle, so I can't answer questions about that. However, I expect that it is generally as safe as cycling anywhere, the roads are in good condition, and rental bikes are in good condition too.

Welcome Isabella and congratulations on earning your Masters degree. I am not a biker so that may influence my answer. I think it would be easier for you to talk and interact together if you were walking compared to being on bikes and that could be an important part of your journey.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm weighing in with a different perspective.

I recently took a couple of people to walk on the Sanabrés - one to whom the Camino was completely new, the other having walked parts of the CF before (but not the last bit).

We started walking the Sanabrés but it was lacking in infrastructure and interaction with others. So, after a couple of weeks and on my suggestion, we abandoned it and went to Sarria and they walked from there to SDC. I still want to walk the Sanabres in its entirely, but for them, the Camino Frances was so much better. Pretty countryside, beautiful soft walking, lots of places to stop, they met and bonded with other pilgrims, got to Santiago, got their Compostela, and it was everything we wanted it to be (putting aside the nasty fall on the last day....)

It is the total experience that counts. For that reason for first timers I suggest Sarria to SDC over the Sanabrés or other less known routes. I think sometimes we forget that people looking for the camino "experience" are not looking for a beautiful solitary walk. That can be done in many, many places in the world, and probably better. They are looking for something unique, and to me, that means the Camino Francés. The daddy of them all.

Lots of old timers here will steer you away from the last 100km, because they perceive Sarria to SDC on the Camino Francés as too crowded, too popular, too whatever, and they compare it unfavourably to quieter sections. My view is that if you have not walked a Camino before, then you have no comparison and it will not disappoint you.

I've never come across someone who walked their first camino from Sarria, and subsequently wished they'd walked a different camino instead.

If you do have time, then my suggestion is to start from further back. Longer is always better! If your time is limited then do not waste it on buses skipping sections - start somewhere and keep walking until it is time to go home.

Whatever you decide - I hope you have a Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much for your comments!! Maybe I can start somewhere further away from Sarria to complete the 7 days of walking. Any additional suggestions? Thank you again!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let's star with where you are from and where you are thinking of arriving in Spain. Also, how fit are you both? And what are you seeking? History, scenary, arriving to Santiago?

Let's star with where you are from and where you are thinking of arriving in Spain. Also, how fit are you both? And what are you seeking? History, scenary, arriving to Santiago?
I am departing from Madrid to the starting point so I am quite flexible. We are quite fit and do sports regularly but my dad has an elbow that is a bit stiff and I have some knee constraint. We want to reach santiago and give priority to scenary!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That
@Kanga is basically always right, in my book! Has she got time to walk from Sarria to Santiago and go to Finisterre, Muxia and back by bike?
that sounds like a great plan too because we want to do a part by bike

I am departing from Madrid to the starting point so I am quite flexible. We are quite fit and do sports regularly but my dad has an elbow that is a bit stiff and I have some knee constraint. We want to reach santiago and give priority to scenary!
Hmmm.... stiff knee but scenary...

Sarria onwards is mostly flat, but nothing to look at and a circus (yes, I am one of those who now hate it due to the rowdy crowds).

Tui onwards also very flat, social enough without being party party, and if you take the Variante Espiritual you do get some nice stretches, plus a boat trip.

From Lugo allows you to visit Lugo, flat walking, and only two days on the Frances. And fairly quiet.

Ourense onwards would be quite hilly I believe.

Perhaps others have advise on the Ingles and the Sanbres from Ourense?

This just a suggestion, but what about starting at O'Cebreiro? I think it's about 150 kms to Santiago from there. 21.5 kms a day for seven days. If the weather gods smile you will most definitely get views.
Edited to correct distance. It's just over 150 km not 140 km.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
O'Cebreiro to Santiago is lovely but it is quite hard to get to O'Cebreiro easily - at least last time I looked. It may be a taxi trip from Villafranca. Someone on the forum will no doubt correct me with a bus timetable!

With only 8 days you don't want to lose too much time travelling to your start point and getting home. Where are you travelling from @Isabella Sinocort ? Knowing that helps with suggestions.

A taxi from Sarria to O'Cebreiro might be simpler. watch your knees going into Portomarin...... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah?USA

Unless i am mistaken, ALSA buses connect madrid and sdc, some of them stop at Puedrafita do Cebreiro, which is a short taxi ride up the hill to O Cebreiro

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you start from Las Herrerias take the horses up to the top of O Cebreria and have your packs transported to tristicalla you can walk from O Cebreria to a small Cafe about 5 km up a hard uphill track to a small cafeteria and hire a bike, it is all down hill all the way to Tristicala and it is simply the best day of the Camino I had, I did it due to a herniated disc for a rest. Stay at Albergue A Horta de Abel and next day refreshed walk to Barbadelo where there is another terrific Albergue and you don't get caught in the zoo of Sarria 3.4 km is well worth it but you must book both places. From there just pace yourself but if you can stay at Lavacolla the night before it's only a few hours the the Santiago de Compostela and you will have time to join the church service there is a terrific Albergue for a single room opposite the archway into the plaza for 23 euros. And the bonus you can get a Compostela to mark your graduation walk and also the fact you did all three modes of transport in the Camino. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back