• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer on the El Camino

retiredmailman

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk in September 2019
Hello, I am from the U.S and I have dreamed of walking one of the caminos. I am 68 and have always been interested in making a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. Planning on making the walk in September 2019 .I have so many questions to ask and the most important... which camino? I am interested in the culture, scenery, the sights. If you had to pick one which camino would you do again? I would appreciate any insights, learned wisdom or help you could provide. Thank you for help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are many helpful resources here. Get inspired. And Bon Camino

Of the caminos I have walked the one I would most like to repeat would probably be the Via de la Plata. Many historic sites along the way. And pretty quiet compared with the more popular routes further north. Long stages and limited infrastructure mean it is not an easy route though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Of the caminos I have walked the one I would most like to repeat would probably be the Via de la Plata. Many historic sites along the way. And pretty quiet compared with the more popular routes further north. Long stages and limited infrastructure mean it is not an easy route though.
Thank you . I will research the Via de la Plata. Any suggestions about traveling as a solo? equipment?

The Camino Frances is the one usually recommended for first timers. That has been the only one we have done so far. Plenty of history and culture and the infrastructure makes it easy. Plenty of people to help you out if you don't know Spanish (not as many Spanish know English as in some other EU countries.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would recommend the Camino Frances. I have walked many routes but always come back to the Frances. As Rick says, it is recommended for a first camino. It has a 'magic' that cannot be put into words. Also the pilgrim infrastructure is great, the scenery diverse and stunning.

You will love it. You will probably become a camino addict like many of us too!

Davey

Another vote for the Camino Frances. If it is your first time doing something like this, in the Frances you will find all the structure to help you get to Santiago.

And there are so many lovely/convenient cities to start the walk... St Jean, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga... All easy to reach by train or bus after flying into Spain.

Hello, I am from the U.S and I have dreamed of walking one of the caminos. I am 68 and have always been interested in making a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. Planning on making the walk in September 2019 .I have so many questions to ask and the most important... which camino? I am interested in the culture, scenery, the sights. If you had to pick one which camino would you do again? I would appreciate any insights, learned wisdom or help you could provide. Thank you for help!

Hello, Retiredmailman, and a warm welcome to the Forum 😁 Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin.
American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

1st Camino? Then the classic 'French Camino'. Best of luck and Buen Camino!

Frances. Why? Lots of fellow walkers. Many places to stay and eat. Big variety of lodging from simplest albergues to nice hotels and everything in between. Lots of culture, sites, history, things to see. Great support services if needed including transportation, multiple bag services, medical, banks. Many resources, guidebooks, sources of information. Huge variety of terrain and scenery. Great first time. First camino you dont know your likes, dislikes, limitations and needs. Picking the path with most options gives you the greatest likelihood of both completing it and liking it.

As for wisdom, I would tell you tomorrow is a completely new day. When you have a hard day, dont panic, quit, or make a major decision. You will find a good night of sleep and a new day changes everything.

We went Sept too. Was wonderful. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Camino Frances...and if the number of pilgrims is wearing and you want more quiet as you go along, you can always take off on either the San Salvador/Primativo from Leon or the Invierno from Ponferrada. All will get you to Santiago.
Buen Camino, Mailman!

Tomorrow I start my Camino de Estecho solo. Walked my other Caminos without planned partner, but found out whenever I needed company I had it. I loved the Portuguese along the coast especially when you are in time constrains. I found Portugal less expensive too. Let’s see what the southern coast tells me.

I was in your shoes a month ago. I was feeling the call after talking with two friends. One had done the Camino Frances and one had come from Lisbon. Both had amazing experiences. After listening to them I was hooked and trying to decide on which Camino would work for me. I mentally budgeted a month in time and money to start. From there I did my search of routes. This being my first, I decided to take the road most traveled (Camino Frances). I had to adjust my time to 40 days. I looked at transportation costs and estimated food and lodging with a bit of a buffer for unknown cost. Happy to say I got some great prices on travel through Madrid. As the others above say, I do like the fact this is a heavier traveled route, but you can take quieter routes as well. This forum has been a huge source of information. I am traveling in September and hope to see you there. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, Retiredmailman, and a warm welcome to the Forum 😁 Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin.
American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
Thank you! What a wonderful set of suggestions. There is a lot of good advice. reading that list just reinforced my commitment to walk the El Camino.

The Camino Frances is the one usually recommended for first timers. That has been the only one we have done so far. Plenty of history and culture and the infrastructure makes it easy. Plenty of people to help you out if you don't know Spanish (not as many Spanish know English as in some other EU countries.)
Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Frances. Why? Lots of fellow walkers. Many places to stay and eat. Big variety of lodging from simplest albergues to nice hotels and everything in between. Lots of culture, sites, history, things to see. Great support services if needed including transportation, multiple bag services, medical, banks. Many resources, guidebooks, sources of information. Huge variety of terrain and scenery. Great first time. First camino you dont know your likes, dislikes, limitations and needs. Picking the path with most options gives you the greatest likelihood of both completing it and liking it.

As for wisdom, I would tell you tomorrow is a completely new day. When you have a hard day, dont panic, quit, or make a major decision. You will find a good night of sleep and a new day changes everything.

We went Sept too. Was wonderful. Buen Camino.
Thank you for your inspirations!

I would recommend the Camino Frances. I have walked many routes but always come back to the Frances. As Rick says, it is recommended for a first camino. It has a 'magic' that cannot be put into words. Also the pilgrim infrastructure is great, the scenery diverse and stunning.

Davey
Thank you!

I was in your shoes a month ago. I was feeling the call after talking with two friends. One had done the Camino Frances and one had come from Lisbon. Both had amazing experiences. After listening to them I was hooked and trying to decide on which Camino would work for me. I mentally budgeted a month in time and money to start. From there I did my search of routes. This being my first, I decided to take the road most traveled (Camino Frances). I had to adjust my time to 40 days. I looked at transportation costs and estimated food and lodging with a bit of a buffer for unknown cost. Happy to say I got some great prices on travel through Madrid. As the others above say, I do like the fact this is a heavier traveled route, but you can take quieter routes as well. This forum has been a huge source of information. I am traveling in September and hope to see you there. Buen Camino
Thank you Jim. I hope to see you there also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tomorrow I start my Camino de Estecho solo. Walked my other Caminos without planned partner, but found out whenever I needed company I had it. I loved the Portuguese along the coast especially when you are in time constrains. I found Portugal less expensive too. Let’s see what the southern coast tells me.
Thank you. You start tomorrow? How exciting. Please let me know about your camino.

The Camino Frances...and if the number of pilgrims is wearing and you want more quiet as you go along, you can always take off on either the San Salvador/Primativo from Leon or the Invierno from Ponferrada. All will get you to Santiago.
Buen Camino, Mailman!
thank you! I appreciate your advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Davey
Thank you Davey, I appreciate your advice and hope to make my "camino" sooner than later.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would like to add to Davebugg's list.
You sir, are already a Pilgrim. it is obvious by your statement that you have dreamed of walking the Camino. The Camino is calling you so your heart and soul have been taken by the Camino energy. Welcome to the Camino my Pilgrim friend. Remember this also. EVERYONE has fear before their first Camino. EVERYONE has questions, doubts and misgivings before their first Camino. Just walk. It may take some time before you realize the fears are slipping away and you will not even remember why you were afraid. Instead the feeling of can I do this will be exchanged for I am doing this and as you get closer to Santiago you may even start to feel like I don't want to stop doing this. When you get to Santiago you will have a feeling you may have never experienced before in your life. Then you may have the feeling of what do I do now? I am embarking on my 5th camino that starts on October 29th. My first semi-winter Camino and I have all new doubts and fears all over again. I just turned 65 so I know the fear you have about age and whether our bodies and minds can handle this. We can do it.
The right Camino for you to walk will appear and you will know. In terms of Camino advice I would tell you this if you are leaving in September I would recommend the Camino Frances because it has the most places to sleep and eat. No matter how much you train you will not be able to duplicate your training to the Camino so listen to your body and it will guide you. That is the number 1 reason I would do the CF. Leaving in September I would definitely not recommend the Via De La Plata. It is great for solitude and it definitely has lots of historic sites. I have not walked it yet. It is two caminos down the road for me. It can be blistering hot in September and even into October. I have friends who have walked it. Last year a good friend of mine started in the middle of September and he said he had to be off the Camino by 1:00PM at the latest as temperatures were reaching over 105F. Sometimes even more. I will walk the Via De La Plata in a March-April time period. Do not worry you will pick the right one for you. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey! Congrats on making a huge decision which you won't regret! I think as people have mentioned, choosing the right Camino is a personal decision.

Any path you follow to Santiago de Compostela is your Camino, but the more worn Camino paths have become well-known routes over time. The most famous is that of the Camino Frances, with the other well-known ones being the Camino Primitivo, Norte, Ingles, Portuguese etc. There are also some lesser known Caminos such as the Via de la Plata. Choosing your Camino is personal, there are lots of blogs and websites out there which discuss the various Caminos. Many first-time walkers opt for the Camino Frances, then expand into the other Caminos as they return to complete the Camino again.

I think how long you have to walk, how far you think you will walk per day and whether you want to be surrounded be other pilgrims all the time or if you would prefer to walk with people some of the time but also have some time to walk alone.

We weighed up our personal circumstances and chose the Portuguese (Senda Litoral) and wrote a bit about that as it was lesser known. If you want to be able to read many resources before leaving then the Frances may be better as there are many resources.

You sir, are already a Pilgrim. it is obvious by your statement that you have dreamed of walking the Camino. The Camino is calling you so your heart and soul have been taken by the Camino energy. Welcome to the Camino my Pilgrim friend. Remember this also. EVERYONE has fear before their first Camino. EVERYONE has questions, doubts and misgivings before their first Camino. Just walk. It may take some time before you realize the fears are slipping away and you will not even remember why you were afraid. Instead the feeling of can I do this will be exchanged for I am doing this and as you get closer to Santiago you may even start to feel like I don't want to stop doing this. When you get to Santiago you will have a feeling you may have never experienced before in your life. Then you may have the feeling of what do I do now? I am embarking on my 5th camino that starts on October 29th. My first semi-winter Camino and I have all new doubts and fears all over again. I just turned 65 so I know the fear you have about age and whether our bodies and minds can handle this. We can do it.
The right Camino for you to walk will appear and you will know. In terms of Camino advice I would tell you this if you are leaving in September I would recommend the Camino Frances because it has the most places to sleep and eat. No matter how much you train you will not be able to duplicate your training to the Camino so listen to your body and it will guide you. That is the number 1 reason I would do the CF. Leaving in September I would definitely not recommend the Via De La Plata. It is great for solitude and it definitely has lots of historic sites. I have not walked it yet. It is two caminos down the road for me. It can be blistering hot in September and even into October. I have friends who have walked it. Last year a good friend of mine started in the middle of September and he said he had to be off the Camino by 1:00PM at the latest as temperatures were reaching over 105F. Sometimes even more. I will walk the Via De La Plata in a March-April time period. Do not worry you will pick the right one for you. Buen Camino.
What great way to welcome a new pi[grim. I was inspired by your words and and am moved by your desire to help others experience what you have discovered while walking the Camino. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Very well said ❤

I would like to go in June perhaps. Is it hot to walk the camino Frances in the summer months?
That really depends on your tolerance to heat. I've walked July/August, and yes, it was hot, but not unbearably so. On the hotter days you just need to start early and get to your destination by around noon - 2:00

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome Mailman,

Like the consensus, I recommend the Frances for all the reasons above for a 1st Camino. If you continue to Muxia and/or Finisterre then this complete trip exposes you to all the general terrains of the various "other" Caminos. Like a sample platter at a new restaurant, you will be in a better position after the Frances to decide on your favorite preferences for the next one. And who knows, the variety the Frances offers may be your preference again.

I walked mid May to late June last year. The statistics from 2018 prove this to be a busy time of year. A frequent criticism of the Frances is that it is crowded....a very subjective term. Don't let this deter you from the Frances if you detest crowds or yearn for open spaces where you can't hear another pilgrim or even see another pilgrim in front of or behind you. If you desire to walk in a group you can always find one. I never saw a "real crowd" until the last 100 km and even then it was usually a temporary situation, a church or school group or a load of people who just got off a bus and started walking. These crowds tend to be either slower (older tourists from the bus) that you overtake quickly or faster who walk past you quickly (high school kids) than the average walking pace.

Prior to Sarria there were a few times where I could see far ahead on a long winding road, a string of pilgrims, most solo, a few pairs a few foursomes spaced out way in front of me. It was actually a cool sight, because it was unusual and not at all offensive. It actually makes for a good picture. Just like your motor route delivering the mail, there is a predictable and easily avoidable rush hour on the Frances each morning. If you want to avoid the "road rage" (just kidding, there is none of that) start walking after 8am...8:30 is probably best as long as there is not a larger town within 2 hours walking time behind you. If you find yourself unintentionally amongst a group you prefer to be away from for whatever reason, just stop for a few minutes and let them walk by and you will soon be alone again. If seeing 10 -15 pilgrims per day is too much, then the Frances is not for you. Depending on your pace and strategies to avoid pilgrims, you may see 1 or 2 in an hour or 20 - 30 in an hour and seeing doesn't mean interacting, again that's up to you. You really can have it both ways on the Frances.

I attached a few pics of the crowds - see if you can find all 40 of the people in the pic labeled - 40people - you will have to zoom-in on this one and some of the others.

Attachments

• 40people.jpg
    40people.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 9people.jpg
    9people.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • busload.jpg
    busload.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • crowd2.jpg
    crowd2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • small crowd.jpg
    small crowd.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • OMGsomanypeeps.jpg
    OMGsomanypeeps.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • rush hour.jpg
    rush hour.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • coming down.jpg
    coming down.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 9peeps.jpg
    9peeps.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
That really depends on your tolerance to heat. I've walked July/August, and yes, it was hot, but not unbearably so. On the hotter days you just need to start early and get to your destination by around noon - 2:00
As someone who has cycled extensively in July and August in Spain, southern France and Italy - it will be hot. But I plan to use the same ideas I do on a bike. Seek shade whenever possible, drink plenty, stop when necessary and most importantly be finished walking before the real heat - I find that in continental Europe the hottest part of the day is 1500-1800 (plus you are always knackered!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome Mailman,

Like the consensus, I recommend the Frances for all the reasons above for a 1st Camino. If you continue to Muxia and/or Finisterre then this complete trip exposes you to all the general terrains of the various "other" Caminos. Like a sample platter at a new restaurant, you will be in a better position after the Frances to decide on your favorite preferences for the next one. And who knows, variety may be your preference.

I walked mid May to late June last year. The statistics from 2018 prove this to be a busy time of year. A frequent criticism of the Frances is that it is crowded....a very subjective term. Don't let this deter you from the Frances if you detest crowds or yearn for open spaces where you can't hear another pilgrim or even see another pilgrim in front of or behind you. If you desire to walk in a group you can always find one. I never saw a "real crowd" until the last 100 km and even then it was usually a temporary situation, a church or school group or a load of people who just got off a bus and started walking. These crowds tend to be either slower (older tourists from the bus) that you overtake quickly or faster who walk past you quickly (high school kids) than the average walking pace.

Prior to Sarria there were a few times where I could see far ahead on a long winding road, a string of pilgrims, most solo, a few pairs a few foursomes spaced out way in front of me. It was actually a cool sight, because it was unusual and not at all offensive. It actually makes for a good picture. Just like your motor route delivering the mail, there is a predictable and easily avoidable rush hour on the Frances each morning. If you want to avoid the "road rage" (just kidding, there is none of that) start walking after 8am...8:30 is probably best as long as there is not a larger town within 2 hours walking time behind you. If you find yourself unintentionally amongst a group you prefer to be away from for whatever reason, just stop for a few minutes and let them walk by and you will soon be alone again. If seeing 10 -15 pilgrims per day is too much, then the Frances is not for you. Depending on your pace and strategies to avoid pilgrims, you may see 1 or 2 in an hour or 20 - 30 in an hour and seeing doesn't mean interacting, again that's up to you. You really can have it both ways on the Frances.

I attached a few pics of the crowds - see if you can find all 40 of the people in the pic labeled - 40people - you will have to zoom-in on this one and some of the others.
Great "crowd" photos. 😂
Where on the Camino is that?

To all who are responding to retiredmailman, thank you. This first timer is learning a lot by your sharing in this thread. Really like those pictures and advice from twh.

Welcom to the Forum, Jim. :)

Where on the Camino is that?

The "40people" pic was taken between Azofra and Cirinuela. I did not have gps tracking activated so I can't pin point it. I went to google earth and thought that I could figure it out there based on roads and elevations and other clues but no luck. It's possible that "camino yellow line overlay from a .kmz file" I have in google earth is outdated and I actually walked a slightly different route from what the yellow line is showing. I do know 16 minutes after I took the 40people pic, I came upon the beautiful driving range and then golf course in that strange, deserted, (ghost town like) village of Cirinuela.

Attachments

• PicLocation40people.png
    PicLocation40people.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome Mailman,

Like the consensus, I recommend the Frances for all the reasons above for a 1st Camino. If you continue to Muxia and/or Finisterre then this complete trip exposes you to all the general terrains of the various "other" Caminos. Like a sample platter at a new restaurant, you will be in a better position after the Frances to decide on your favorite preferences for the next one. And who knows, the variety the Frances offers may be your preference again.

Thank you for your advice. It seems one would find whatever amount of fellow pilgrims one desires. Again thanks for reaching and sharing your valuable insights. I appreciate it.

Thank you. For sharing your experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.