• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer...

slynchy

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2015
Hi guys! I'm Sarah and I'm from a tiny outback community in Australia. In April this year my friend and I will be going on our first camino. It's something I've wanted to do for about 10 years but the timing was never right. This year I'm turning 30 so I figured it was now or never. I'll be taking leave without pay and have roped my friend in too. We leave 3 days after my 30th so it will be my present to myself.

I've been lurking for awhile and reading everyone's amazing advice. I realised today just how close our trip was so figured I'd better stop lurking and start interacting ;)

Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@slynchy, welcome. You're right, Lightning Ridge is remote. If you have been lurking, you will know there are a number of Australians who can help you with travel matters and other 'local' issues active on the forum.

And you will also know that collectively we have at least one more opinion than the number of us in the conversation.

Hi guys! I'm Sarah and I'm from a tiny outback community in Australia. In April this year my friend and I will be going on our first camino. It's something I've wanted to do for about 10 years but the timing was never right. This year I'm turning 30 so I figured it was now or never. I'll be taking leave without pay and have roped my friend in too. We leave 3 days after my 30th so it will be my present to myself.

I've been lurking for awhile and reading everyone's amazing advice. I realised today just how close our trip was so figured I'd better stop lurking and start interacting ;)

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Sarah, April is a lovely time to walk the Way. My brother, from Australia, and I walked it in the second half of April and into May in 2012. Happy planning and Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the Forum slynchy, not long now, I hope you realise this decision of yours may well turn out to be a life long journey! Still you will enjoy every moment of it and all the wonderful people that will becomes your friends. Buen Camino pilgrim.

Last edited:
Hello Sarah,

Welcome to the forum and happy birthday. I walked it for the first time last April and May and it enriched my life. It is something that I think about every day. I only wish I hadn't waited until I was 71 to do it.

Lurk and interact to your hearts content.

Buen Camino !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome Sarah. As a lurker you will know there is a wealth of information here to assist in your planning. You will have a great time.

Hi Sarah,
Yes, April is usually a nice time to walk, can be a little cool in the early stages.
Hope all goes well with your planning.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hola Sarah, Happy birthday and go for it young lady. I walked in April May and the weather was changeable to say the least but nothing to really worry about. I am sure you will just love it. You come from a part of Australia that makes you tough. There is a lot of info here for you to search through. And of course go ahead and just ask the questions. Sometimes asking cane quicker than surfing all over the place. Members of the forum are so helpful and are your first introduction to the Camino Angels.
Happy planning. Travel well.
Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Welcome cobber! Where are you walking from and to? Sorted your travel yet? Buen Camino
Walking from SJPP to Santiago. Found some super cheap (for us Aussies) flights to Paris back in October and booked accom in SJPP.

I did my first long walk today (16km) and I was dying. Should have left earlier in the morning because it was painfully hot on the way home. It made me super worried about my camino, but I figure I have all this time to get my fitness up. :)

... It made me super worried about my camino, but I figure I have all this time to get my fitness up... :)
Yes, heaps of time.
Don't worry too much, once you start in SJPP you'll soon find yourself in a pattern that suits you.
Just don't over do it at the beginning and the fitness usually just comes as you walk.
Buen Camino
Colin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Cheers!

Hi Sarah,
we seem to be in the same boat lol.. I'm from Brisbane and I'm also turning 30 and taking leave without pay haha but I'm starting my walk on my actual birthday, 5th of March, this will also be my first trip outside of Australia..
I have been for the past year reading and reading blogs about the camino and have slowly put things together from the information I have gathered, as for my gear I'm just preparing for cold, rain, wind and whatever other weather conditions we don't really get in Brisbane but also trying to keep things as light as I can, unfortunately with doing so I have spent a lot of money but it is great equipment that will probably last for years.. We most likely wont be crossing paths but before I ramble on I just wanted to reach out and say hi as I feel like we are on the same type of path and to wish you luck on your camino... If you want to throw info backwards and forward I'm happy to help where I can :)

I did my first long walk today (16km) and I was dying. Should have left earlier in the morning because it was painfully hot on the way home.
Lightning Ridge in Summer, who would have thought it would be hot?! :)

Don't fret too much about the fitness Sarah. You have a few months to prepare so take it easy and don't give yourself heatstroke because you want to train. You've actually been preparing for your Camino for the past 10 years and are quite likely to find the emotional/psychological journey more difficult than the physical. Ease your way into the Camino to give your body a chance to adjust and all will be well.

No doubt you've already come across heaps of useful information about ways to avoid blisters and sample pack lists. My motto is "savour it, don't suffer it" and, in order to do that, I keep my pack as light as possible and, whenever possible, remove my boots to give my feet an airing.

One piece of advice I always give people going with someone else is to give each other permission to walk alone. Sometimes you just need time and space to reflect, to absorb or to cry for no discernible reason.

Buen Camino

Cheers!
Cheers! Hubby and I are leaving Vancouver, BC, Canada on May 7 and meeting up with a Camino Forum friend from Australia in Paris (she's meeting us at the airport) where we will stay overnight and then the three of us will then meet two other Camino friends at the airport the next morning and the 5 of us will travel to SJDD and then start our Camino walks together on May 10th...we have never previously met but we all feel connected! We will walk to Orisson and maybe Roncesvalles together and then most likely all go on our own from that point...we have been communicaticating via facebook and planning together. Four of us live within 50 km of one another and have plans to meet in person soon. Hubby is the only guy in the group but feels comfortable because we all have the same goal .... To walk the Camino. Hubby and I plan to walk May 10 - June 12 and fly home from Madrid on June 14....at least that's the plan...whatever happens in between will be an adventure no matter what! Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Sarah,
we seem to be in the same boat lol.. I'm from Brisbane and I'm also turning 30 and taking leave without pay haha but I'm starting my walk on my actual birthday, 5th of March, this will also be my first trip outside of Australia..
:)
This is awesome, Nick! Obviously great minds think alike. Also, what an amazing adventure for your first OS trip!

Lightning Ridge in Summer, who would have thought it would be hot?! :)
Julie, the sad thing is I was walking in Sydney and still couldn't handle the heat (school holidays- I cannot handle 50 degree heat so I run as soon as the school year is over ;))

Cheers! Hubby and I are leaving Vancouver, BC, Canada on May 7 and meeting up with a Camino Forum friend from Australia in Paris (she's meeting us at the airport) where we will stay overnight and then the three of us will then meet two other Camino friends at the airport the next morning and the 5 of us will travel to SJDD and then start our Camino walks together on May 10th...we have never previously met but we all feel connected! We will walk to Orisson and maybe Roncesvalles together and then most likely all go on our own from that point...we have been communicaticating via facebook and planning together. Four of us live within 50 km of one another and have plans to meet in person soon. Hubby is the only guy in the group but feels comfortable because we all have the same goal .... To walk the Camino. Hubby and I plan to walk May 10 - June 12 and fly home from Madrid on June 14....at least that's the plan...whatever happens in between will be an adventure no matter what! Buen Camino

That's amazing - I love how a journey like this brings people together!

Cheers!
Hi Sarah and welcome. Feel free to email me if you want some information. In April May you are unlikely to face too much heat on the Camino, maybe on the Meseta, but then you just start early and finish early. That seems to basically be the way of the Camino anyway. You are about to undertake a journey that will change you life. Enjoy and buen Camino. Nola

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, welcome also from me! One tip: Break up the first stage (SJPDP > Roncesvalles) at Orisson (you need to reserve), especially if you are not super-fit and well rested from the travel ordeal. The first stage over the Pyrenees is really the hardest on the whole route. Also, if the pilgrims office in SJPDP tells you to take the lower route, via Valcarlos, please follow their advice. Mountains can be dangerous in bad weather. Buen Camino! SY

Hi Sarah, we may have met via a VC. I'm a teacher in the Riverina, and your name rings a bell. I've worked with a number of teachers from Western region. I'm taking term 1 off and doing my first camino with the whole family (wife and 5 children from 2-15, and a pseudo niece and nephew). I know it will be an ordeal at times (our worst walk was Kosciusko in snow, miserable kids, high winds...I learnt about the importance of patience, and the consequences of not having it that day!) and we have spent a ridiculous amount on getting good equipment (I hear you nickspillane). We fly out in two weeks and are traveling a bit before starting our camino from SJPP on Valentine's Day. Nickspillane, I'd be surprised if you don't pass us after about two weeks, as we are planning on traveling slowly (we are giving ourselves until the middle of April). We will be easy to spot too, a group of nine from SJPP in winter (with a toddler too).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Sarah, we may have met via a VC. I'm a teacher in the Riverina, and your name rings a bell. I've worked with a number of teachers from Western region. I'm taking term 1 off and doing my first camino with the whole family (wife and 5 children from 2-15, and a pseudo niece and nephew). I know it will be an ordeal at times (our worst walk was Kosciusko in snow, miserable kids, high winds...I learnt about the importance of patience, and the consequences of not having it that day!) and we have spent a ridiculous amount on getting good equipment (I hear you nickspillane). We fly out in two weeks and are traveling a bit before starting our camino from SJPP on Valentine's Day. Nickspillane, I'd be surprised if you don't pass us after about two weeks, as we are planning on traveling slowly (we are giving ourselves until the middle of April). We will be easy to spot too, a group of nine from SJPP in winter (with a toddler too).

Oh wow- and I'm worried about getting myself there!

Maybe met at a fed thing? Your name doesn't ring a bell, but that means nothing as I am not only bad with names but faces too. I get in trouble a lot for that ;)

I'm sorry- what?! I am definitely not prepared for snow! Eep!

Sorry, but you better are, there is still a good chance for snow in April in the Pyrenees and in all cases for cold nights/ early mornings. Buen Camino! SY
PS And don't forget your rain gear neither ...

I walked over the Napoleon on May 11th in 2013 and saw snow at the sides of the path. It had been closed only a week or so earlier. Spring last year was kinder. Ask for advice at the Pilgrim's Office and heed it! I hope the weather is kind to you. For me I have yet to cross without heavy cloud and mist spoiling the views.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Cheers!
Gday Sarah, my friend Heather and I will be leaving Canberra on the 15th of April and plan to depart SJPDP on the same day as you. Never know, might see you there. Good luck and Congrats on the Birthday plans.

Cheers!

Hi Sara+1 :)
I'll set out from SJPDP on the 19th of April, so unless you plan to sprint, we'll probably meet along the way.
I plan to arrive on May 23rd (my 31st birthday) - so in a way, el camino is also a birthday present to myself.

Buen camino :)

Sarah, John and I will be starting the same day as you! Exciting and terrifying, isn't it? I hope to see you in SJPdP! I attached a few snaps of the patch on my jacket and John and I with the priest who blessed us pre-Camino....

Hope to see you there! Ning and John

Attachments

• Camino Forum patch.jpg
    Camino Forum patch.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Camino Blessing.jpg
    Camino Blessing.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 2
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gday Sarah, hope you planning is finalised and your good to go. As I mentioned earlier, Heather and I will be departing Aus on the 15th, transiting through Singapore to Paris and then down to Biarritz and onwards to SJPDP. We are heading off on the morning of the 17th Jetlag dependant. Our plan initially was to arrive at Santiago on the 17/18th of May and then fly straight to Barcelona for a couple of days but we have seen the light and intend heading out to Finisterre before making Barcelona. Plan now is to head to Barcelona on the 20th for a couple of days before returning to Aus. Accommodation is a wait and see option so not sure where we will be staying in SJPDP but pretty certain it will be one of the several Albergues rather than a hotel. Hope to see you on the Way. Buen Camino

It's all happening now, guys! My friend and I are doing one last packing check and then we're off early in the morning!

Wiebmer, I'll look out for you and John :)

Pete, good luck and buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.