• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer

junvicencio

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2018)
Hi! I'm 55 years old, in pretty good shape and enjoys walking in solitude. I'm an introvert that would rather be in a less crowded environment. However, since this is my first long distance walk in unfamiliar grounds, I'm a bit concern about amenities that may be available for me as I go on my journey. I don't plan to sleep outdoors and a proper bathroom is essential. I am starting my walk around September 1 of this year. I am torn between doing the French or the Northern route or combination. I'm not a hard core hiker and would want to take it easy. I'm giving myself 6 weeks and even thinking of continuing to Portuguese route to Lisbon, given the time. I also figure that I shouldn't really concern myself much with my supplies since I'm assuming I can get whatever else I may need along the way.
Your thoughts would be very helpful.
Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jun

The French route may be a more appropriate choice, as there will be more options of places to stay and places to eat. There are more people doing this route, but at the same time, it is the easiest one to find a private accomodation to have your own space if you want to be away from the crowd. So the level of interaction will be pretty much up to you.

6 weeks is a pretty good time frame and you will be able to take your time, enjoy the cities and take time to visit all places you want; You are right about supplies: if you have the basics with you, you can get anything else over there.

An idea could be to post the contents of your backpack and we can help adjusting it. But you will surely be fine! Buen camino!

Hi Jun

The French route may be a more appropriate choice, as there will be more options of places to stay and places to eat. There are more people doing this route, but at the same time, it is the easiest one to find a private accomodation to have your own space if you want to be away from the crowd. So the level of interaction will be pretty much up to you.

6 weeks is a pretty good time frame and you will be able to take your time, enjoy the cities and take time to visit all places you want; You are right about supplies: if you have the basics with you, you can get anything else over there.

An idea could be to post the contents of your backpack and we can help adjusting it. But you will surely be fine! Buen camino!

Thank you, Anamya.
I've been breaking in my hiking boots. And I find my feet getting hot since they are also water proof. Do I really need a water proof hiking boots, which is also bulkier, for the French route or will a regular, sturdy walking shoes be fine? What kind of weather can I expect in September?
Again, thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After walking the Frances the last two years I'm currently on the Norte. The Norte is much more of a "hike" in terrain and spirit than the Frances.
I know that a lot of people worry about "crowds" on the Frances, but it's easy enough to avoid them if you wish to walk alone, but also have the knowledge that there are other pilgrims that will be along in a half hour or so if you should need help.
Also, it's much easier to walk shorter stages on the Frances because there are more albergues and most areas have towns within 3 to 8 km if each other.
And most importantly more frequent bars(cafés) for bathroom breaks.

After walking the Frances the last two years I'm currently on the Norte. The Norte is much more of a "hike" in terrain and spirit than the Frances.
I know that a lot of people worry about "crowds" on the Frances, but it's easy enough to avoid them if you wish to walk alone, but also have the knowledge that there are other pilgrims that will be along in a half hour or so if you should need help.
Also, it's much easier to walk shorter stages on the Frances because there are more albergues and most areas have towns within 3 to 8 km if each other.
And most importantly more frequent bars(cafés) for bathroom breaks.
Thanks, trecile

Hi

You sound rather similar to me, I am also a bit of an introvert, prefer to avoid crowds and enjoy walking alone. I did my first Camino last year, walking the Sanabres, I then went on to Muxia, Finisterre and then back to Santiago. Having enjoyed it so much, I extended my stay and walked the Ingles.

The Sanabres was a lovely route and was very quiet when I walked in June. I found just the right balance for me in that I walked alone most of the time but met still people along the way, often crossing paths again later in the walk. There were normally just a few people at the albugues which was perfect as far as I was concerned. I think, because it is a quiet route, the people that choose to walk it are perhaps quiet in nature and those people I met, I really enjoyed meeting. I have autism, not to a particularly serious degree and most would never know, but it makes meeting people a little more stressful and much more so if it’s crowded, as a result I could easily remain entirely alone and be happy enough with that. But, I have to say that the people I met along the way, without exception, greatly enhanced my experience.

Regarding amenities, although a quiet route I had no problems with the stages, finding places to pick up supplies and finding places to stay. There will of course be a little more thought required than on other routes where there are villages every few kilometres but it was really not an issue, just remember to take cash out at the larger stops to last until the next one.

As far as footwear goes, I walk in lightweight trail shoes & barefoot sandals. My feeling on the subject of footwear is the lighter, the better unless one has a particular requirement or reason for going heavier. It’s my understanding, from research I’ve read over the years, that a pound on ones feet equates roughly to 5 pounds carried in a pack and in my experience that feels about right. I also think that unless there is good reason, waterproof shoes are best avoided. As one walks, one’s feet sweat, waterproof shoes do not breath well so one’s feet get hot and then, ironically, wet. Waterproof shoes also take an age to dry so feet stay wet. Much better, in my view, to have light shoes that are able to breath so one sweats less, keeping feet drier, and if it does rain the shoes will dry much, much faster when the rain stops. Light shoes or sandals are also a lot more comfortable and less likely to cause blisters (assuming, of course, that the fit correctly).

Hope that’s of some use. Best of luck and enjoy your Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I also think that unless there is good reason, waterproof shoes are best avoided. As one walks, one’s feet sweat, waterproof shoes do not breath well so one’s feet get hot and then, ironically, wet. Waterproof shoes also take an age to dry so feet stay wet. Much better, in my view, to have light shoes that are able to breath so one sweats less, keeping feet drier, and if it does rain the shoes will dry much, much faster when the rain stops. Light shoes or sandals are also a lot more comfortable and less likely to cause blisters (assuming, of course, that the fit correctly).

Totally agree on that. For the camino I wore the same pair of Mizunos I usually wear to walk around where I live.

I haven´t walked Norte, but both Frances and Portugues are perfectly doable in sneakers. Some people worry about rain. Lighter, breathble shoes get wet, byt they also dry much quicker, so that usually compensates the issue.

As you will cross many different regions along the CF (practically the entire country), weather varies a lot depending on where you are. In a very (VERY) general manner, Autumn along CF is pleasant. Temperatures are around 23°C (73°F) in September and 18°C (64°F) in October, according to some weather maps. There is a higher chance of rain, specially in Galicia, but that is also a bit unpredictable.

Do I really need a water proof hiking boots

Short answer: NO - neither waterproof or boots. Please consider good running shoes. The well trodden routes are not hiking in nature.They very seldom encounter water to be waded through. Of my 60 days en route in France and Spain (April and October) I had rain on two days and stepping stones over a stream shortly after Roncesvalles

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

this is my first long distance walk in unfamiliar grounds, I'm a bit concern about amenities that may be available for me as I go on my journey.

Amenities, such as accomodation and food are plentiful along two routes I have taken. I first started in Le Puy-en-velay in south central France and continued from Saint-Jean-pied-de-port to Santiago and had no trouble with either along that way.

As to what else you may need the answer is "less is more". I carry two changes of clothes (except for the light weight kilt, light rain jacket and hat I wear every day), water, tablet (with a SIM card), camera, sleeping bag and "accessories". The latter include a trowel and toilet paper, head lamp, tablet/camera charger, Compeed, rolled oats, cooking bowl and a knife-fork-spoon set. I have focussed on lightweight gear (my 40 litre pack is 600 gram including frame) and all up weighs just over 6 kg.

How is your training for stamina of mind and body going?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Short answer: NO - neither waterproof or boots. Please consider good running shoes. The well trodden routes are not hiking in nature.They very seldom encounter water to be waded through. Of my 60 days en route in France and Spain (April and October) I had rain on two days and stepping stones over a stream shortly after Roncesvalles

Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.