• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Walk.

jsmaldo77

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Pilgrim; August 2019
Hello everyone,

I will be starting my journey in a few weeks (mid August 2019). Im kinda nervous but I hope everything goes well. I am thinking of starting my walk from Lourdes, France then to Saint Pied Jean de Port and continue on the French route to Santiago de Compostela. From there I want to walk to either to Muxia or Fisterra then possibly walk down to Fatima, Portugal. I know its going to be a huge distance but I set myself up being there for seven weeks.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone,

I will be starting my journey in a few weeks (mid August 2019). Im kinda nervous but I hope everything goes well. I am thinking of starting my walk from Lourdes, France then to Saint Pied Jean de Port and continue on the French route to Santiago de Compostela. From there I want to walk to either to Muxia or Fisterra then possibly walk down to Fatima, Portugal. I know its going to be a huge distance but I set myself up being there for seven weeks.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds awesome. I'm jealous of anyone who has that much time to walk.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Don't worry about it. Just start walking your body and the Camino will tell you what will happen. Take your first step. The step you take is all you have so just walk. This may sound lame or a copout but it is 100% true. You will not even know how far you will go each day, let alone in 7 weeks. I haven't walked from Lourdes but as someone said it is pretty tough route but from friends I heard it is well worth it. By the time you get to SJPP the walk up the hill should be a piece of cake.

Don't worry about it. Just start walking your body and the Camino will tell you what will happen. Take your first step. The step you take is all you have so just walk. This may sound lame or a copout but it is 100% true. You will not even know how far you will go each day, let alone in 7 weeks. I haven't walked from Lourdes but as someone said it is pretty tough route but from friends I heard it is well worth it. By the time you get to SJPP the walk up the hill should be a piece of cake.

Thank you, I appreciate the encouragement.
I've read a recent posting that there's a lot of pilgrims on the trail during this time, and suggest to book accommodations ahead of time. I am going with the idea of finding hostels while I am there and not worrying about booking any. But I also dont want to be stuck sleeping outside on the curb.
I think by having to book ahead of time it confines me from taking my time and exploring, taking away from the experience of the walk. I hope the camino will provide.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think by having to book ahead of time it confines me from taking my time and exploring, taking away from the experience of the walk. I hope the camino will provide.
Of course it's very personal. Some people can only walk in a relaxed way with the assurance of a reserved bed. If you can manage to (at least start to) walk without reservations, it can be very liberating. Personally (!!) I prefer just starting to walk in the morning without any idea where I'll be stopping in the afternoon. Just looking for a bed whenever I feel like calling it a day. So far I haven't made a reservation on my Camino's.

And, let's face it, Spain is a civilised country with albergues, hostels, pousada's, hotels everywhere.

If the circumstances call for it, you can always make a reservation when needed.

. I am thinking of starting my walk from Lourdes, France then to Saint Pied Jean de Port and continue on the French route to Santiago de Compostela. From there I want to walk to either to Muxia or Fisterra then possibly walk down to Fatima, Portugal. I know its going to be a huge distance but I set myself up being there for seven weeks.
This sounds like an incredible itinerary and rather than focusing on time and destination my advice would be too leave your expectations behind. I'm probably fitter than average and it took me almost 6 weeks to walk from from St. Jean to Finisterre with a further week to rest and continue from Porto to Santiago took another 3 weeks. I would recommend another 3 weeks to accomplish your itinerary. In total 12 weeks or you could just purchase a one-way ticket, set no time limit and keep walking until you feel it's time to return home. Either way Ultreia 🤠

This sounds like an incredible itinerary and rather than focusing on time and destination my advice would be too leave your expectations behind. I'm probably fitter than average and it took me almost 6 weeks to walk from from St. Jean to Finisterre with a further week to rest and continue from Porto to Santiago took another 3 weeks. I would recommend another 3 weeks to accomplish your itinerary. In total 12 weeks or you could just purchase a one-way ticket, set no time limit and keep walking until you feel it's time to return home. Either way Ultreia 🤠

Yes, thank you. No expectations, just walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Of course it's very personal. Some people can only walk in a relaxed way with the assurance of a reserved bed. If you can manage to (at least start to) walk without reservations, it can be very liberating. Personally (!!) I prefer just starting to walk in the morning without any idea where I'll be stopping in the afternoon. Just looking for a bed whenever I feel like calling it a day. So far I haven't made a reservation on my Camino's.

And, let's face it, Spain is a civilised country with albergues, hostels, pousada's, hotels everywhere.

If the circumstances call for it, you can always make a reservation when needed.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. And that is how I want to walk, relaxed without reservations/ expectations.

I recently finished a 50 day Camino - 48 days walking, and ended up with a compostella showing 1057km.

It might be a tall ask to do the route you have planned, but sounds like you are entering it with an open mind so it's all good. I havent needed to book ahead really, but on occasion it isnt a bad idea ... maybe you buddy up with someone and they want to plan ahead and book for that day ... I've never booked further ahead than that.

Check accomodation before you get to St Jean though. I have no idea about albergues from Lourdes. That might need research.

Hello everyone, just a quick update on my trip. I have been walking since August 22, 2019 and started at Lourdes, France. Walked to St. Jean-Pied-de-Port onto the French way to Santiago. Walked to Muxia then down to Finisterre. Took a bus back to Santiago (first time in a vehicle and got car sick)
I have spent a total of 7 days of rest days during my whole walk for sight seeing.
On September 12 I stared my way down to Fatima, Portugal. I am currently in the town of Oia about 20 kilometers north of A Guardia.
My walk has been a life changer and have had many remarkable Camino stories that just proves their is something more.
I have walked about 1200 kilometers total and have had no blisters, but my feet are hurting daily from the constant weight on them.
Thanks all for the input prior to my trip, I will update an adequate response when I have a chance.
Buen Camino!BF885CD1-E475-4499-988E-A539E1CE0A5D.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.