• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Five Extra Days

Philtration

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2021, 2023
I just arrived in Santiago, windblown, cold and wet after a short camino from Leon. I fly home from Madrid on the 9th. I’m looking for a short walk, or just a place to hang out, with the only criteria that it be as WARM AS POSSIBLE and in Spain. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Towards Madrid - Toledo a fabulous town, about an hour train ride from Madrid. Valencia, a litte further, and probably warmer than Toledo. Both are on camino paths, so you could do a little walking from either.

My brother recently arrived in SdeC from the Norte - then had 3 nights in Toledo and 2 in Valencia before leaving from Madrid.

Another forum member recently went to Avila before leaving from Madrid. I haven't been there but looks interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another forum member recently went to Avila before leaving from Madrid. I haven't been there but looks interesting!
I used to live in Ávila, and it really is a beautiful and fascinating little city with magnificent walking opportunities in the Sierra de Gredos. Alas, I don't think it meets the 'WARM AS POSSIBLE' criterion, as I remember it being extremely cold at this time of year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just bought a ticket to Valencia for tomorrow morning. Looking forward to seeing it not rain! I may go to Toledo for a day or two on the backside.

Any recommendations on places to stay in either place? Under 40 euros is my range. If I walk I’ll stay at albergues.

Edit: I just realized I have no guidance on the Camino Lana from Valencia. Anyone know of information sources or just a couple of good sections closer to the city. I assume there won’t be albergues to stay in, just pensions and hotels.

Last edited:

Gronze may be your friend!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just bought a ticket to Valencia for tomorrow morning. Looking forward to seeing it not rain! I may go to Toledo for a day or two on the backside.

Any recommendations on places to stay in either place? Under 40 euros is my range. If I walk I’ll stay at albergues.

Edit: I just realized I have no guidance on the Camino Lana from Valencia. Anyone know of information sources or just a couple of good sections closer to the city. I assume there won’t be albergues to stay in, just pensions and hotels.
Hi Phil
I know where you’re coming from in respect to looking for a dry place. I’ve been home almost 4 days now. . There was no easing of the rain in NW Spain . It took the gloss off the walking. At least you’re trying to get away from it.
The link below is for the Levante. (Valencia to Zamora ), in English.

Buen camino.

Also : as mentioned above / check out threads on the forum in the ‘Levante ‘ Sub forum. Also virtual threads. A lot of info in there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

There is useful walking within Valencia, including the old river bed of a river that was diverted and the old river bed was turned into a long park. From memory, this park is part of the Camino out of Valencia but my memory may be faulty 😉

AirBnB might be your friend if you want cheaper accommodation. I had an AirBnB in Mislata that was very nice. Short walk from the Metro station and a very nice neighbourhood.

Look here if you want more details Thread 'Valencian breakfast' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/valencian-breakfast.82239/

They say that this is the perfect time to visit Valencia, nice weather but not too hot and very few tourists.

Last edited:
I just arrived in Santiago, windblown, cold and wet after a short camino from Leon. I fly home from Madrid on the 9th. I’m looking for a short walk, or just a place to hang out, with the only criteria that it be as WARM AS POSSIBLE and in Spain. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Anuwhere is fabulous. But locals in Spain told me the country has two magical cities, Santiago de Compostela and Toledo. Toledo was an earlier capital and is the seat of the Roman Catholic chyrch in Spain. It has a particularly grim civil war history. It was captured by rebel Moor forces (Franco’s side) who slaughtered and raped indiscriminantly and the streets were said to have run red with blood. There’s a lot of on-foot exploring to do. Ronda is another wonderful place, spectacularly situated, virtually the birthplace of bullfighting in Spain. The town id divided by a deep gorge and like Toledo has a horrible civil war history, this time on the republic ( government) side. Franco sympathisers were incarcerated with the priest in I think then then town hall ( now a Parador) and marched out one by one through a crowd of jeering locals and tossed over the gorge. The episode features in Hemingway’s book on the war but the town’s name is not mentioned.

But these places are a bit far away for you. Much closer is A Coruna, also fabulous. Walk along the harbour front and say hello to John Lennon, visit the unique restored Roman lighthouse and explore its many museums and art galleries, also the home Picasso lived in for a while in his younger years. It’s where the Spanish Armada sailed from. There’s a lot of walking to be done. Finally, also close by SdeC is San Sebastian. This is a boutique city which frankly makes Paris look shoddy. Claimed to have the best city beach in Europe. And fabulous eateries. But it’s a bit expensive as I recall. Unless you’re into glitz and glamour I’d give Marbella/Malaga a miss.

De Colores

Bogong

I’ve had a couple of lovely days in València. It’s been a great place to dry out (only my clothing, it’s València!) from the past few weeks in Galacia. But I’m coming back in May to tour with my wife and my feet are getting itchy. Right now I’m on a cercanias train to do a couple of short days on the Requena. It’s mid day, so I’m getting off at Rebollar and walking to Requena. The next day I’ll walk another short day to Utiel. I fly out of Madrid noonish on Thursday, so I really haven’t planned what to do with Wednesday. As always, ideas are welcome. Thanks to everyone for your help on this thread.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back home now, but wanted to comment on the half day walking the Camino Requena from Rebollar to Raquena. I have to agree with Bad Pilgrim's report on the Raquena, this is as sweet little walking section as I have encountered.
I was not prepared for the beauty on the second part of this stage! From Rebollar, the Camino mostly follows the camino natural of Turia-Cabriel. The scenery kept changing every km: from open fields to pine forest, to a small river, to rocks and vertical cliffs à la Sigüenza, to vineyards... Always among rolling hills that were shining green in spite of the dry summer. I fished out my cellphone more than once to take pictures (see below). Later I discovered I had actually walked an alternative route, as described by the guidebook. But I just followed the arrows. I guess a lot of people will end up there as well, and I don't think they will complain.
It has it all, a wonderful mix of vineyards, pine forest, and some interesting canyon wall/cliff geology. Nothing jaw-dropping, just a very pleasant day. I took the train to Cuenca the following day (the long distance train station is halfway between Raquena and Utiel), and enjoyed that unique city before heading to Madrid and on home.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.